Anyone else notice this

EastTN

I heard a guy on the radio today talking about Butch rasing cain about Bama running players on late. He then said go back and watch the first play Bama scored on. So I went to the SEC network website and found a replay of the game. They have 10 men on the field the ref has already set the ball down and backed away. Then the 11th man comes off the sideline on our side of the ball, and confuses the defense. Why was this not offsides? Or some kind of penelty? Typical dirty Bama/Kiffen crap.....on top of that when the offense for bama was talking around kiffen right before this an OL waives the ref over to thier huddle and he says something to him then walks away. This looks awful fishy to me. After reading the article about the refs being dirty, i am a beleiver.

Reactions: 3 people
The refs at Bama game handled the setting of the ball differently then most, these guys would place the ball and the center had to look at the Umpire until he would point at him.

What bama was doing the whole game was:

On offense: They would sub most of their groups let the defense get set>>Umpire would point at the Center (Ok the snapping of the ball) >>Then they would run another player that may not even get inside the numbers>>then snap the ball before UT Defense could adjust.

On Defense: When UT would sub, they would send theirs players in after UT offense players would start working to their positions, then before the Umpire would ok the snap they would start subbing players. The ones running off the field would barely jog off taking most of our play clock away from us.

CBJ was so pissed at the this crew I'm surprised he didn't get a flag, so you can contribute the 1st half to that issue and UT defense and offense looking for this situation.

Yeah they are not as good as they have been, so a bit of trickery help to blow the game open.

CBJ will not make excuses but all you have to do is to watch the film.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
I heard a guy on the radio today talking about Butch rasing cain about Bama running players on late. He then said go back and watch the first play Bama scored on. So I went to the SEC network website and found a replay of the game. They have 10 men on the field the ref has already set the ball down and backed away. Then the 11th man comes off the sideline on our side of the ball, and confuses the defense. Why was this not offsides? Or some kind of penelty? Typical dirty Bama/Kiffen crap.....on top of that when the offense for bama was talking around kiffen right before this an OL waives the ref over to thier huddle and he says something to him then walks away. This looks awful fishy to me. After reading the article about the refs being dirty, i am a beleiver.

Thanks but this has been discussed on several threads. CBJ blasted the refs for not calling anything and that first play went all the way because the Vols defense was out of position.

Ok sorry for a double thread/topic but I had not seen it talked about. thats just pure crap IMO. If you have to call shady plays to win games I'd rather lose. Thats what I like about Butch he is honest, and straight forward

Reactions: 1 person
That was from them talking to someone about the personal foul over their heads sets (they deny they was talking to anyone), not the subbing

Yea and thats crap as well I watched that. You could see he was easily listening to someone, and talking with them not the guys he was huddled up with.

I don't think there is a conspiracy.
It's reasonable to think that refs give "passes" to teams on top.
Now if we get to the top and the calls still benefit the other team :chair:

After every kickoff by Bama, they would have 15 players on the field. Once they saw which of our players were coming on the field, they would run 4 players off. I don't think it should be allowed.

As a former NFL ref, in this instance, as long as the Alabama players runs inside the "hashmark," it is not a penalty. You can't have 10 men in the huddle and sneak a player by the sideline. They have to come inside the hashmark which the Alabama player did.
You see it on extra points routinely. Someone forgot to get in the game and run onto the field just before the attempt.

Reactions: 2 people

Dude, if you want to analyze something from the past that will never be changed, you might want to make it an English textbook instead. :crazy:

Re: "the first play Bama scored on"

That's the type of play-calling I'm ready to see from OUR offense !

Not arguing, but, maybe our DC could have called a TO if the 1st play set didn't match up correctly (maybe not)? I thought there were some other more blatantly-questionable substitutions, but this first play vid seems to show AL had 11 players set w/ no wide-outs and with our #17 (Dev Smith?) securely and readily lined up opposite Cooper. This is not Cooper's first play of game TD this year and he is nation's #1 receiver/player -- and he should have been anticipated as the #1 target-- but, unfortunately #17/no one followed Cooper when he motioned wide right, until too late. Miscommunication, and I trust we'll be better-readied for some same type calling from Spurrier this Saturday. GO VOLS!

Dude, if you want to analyze something from the past that will never be changed, you might want to make it an English textbook instead. :crazy:

The grammar on VN is atrocious. It's no wonder we are behind some third world countries in education rankings these days.

Reactions: 3 people

I don't think it was offsides because the offense wasn't fully set. Had the linemen been fully set, it would have been.

Missed a few.:)
I heard a guy on the radio today talking about Butch rasing cain about Bama running players on late. He then said, "go back and watch the first play Bama scored on". So I went to the SEC network website and found a replay of the game. They have 10 men on the field and the ref has already set the ball down and backed away. Then the 11th man comes off the sideline on our side of the ball, and confuses the defense. Why was this not offsides? Or some kind of penelty? Typical dirty Bama/Kiffen crap.....on top of that when the offense for bama was talking around kiffen right before this an OL waives the ref over to thier huddle and he says something to him then walks away. This looks awful fishy to me. After reading the article about the refs being dirty, i am a believer.

Last edited:
The refs at Bama game handled the setting of the ball differently then most, these guys would place the ball and the center had to look at the Umpire until he would point at him.

What bama was doing the whole game was:

On offense: They would sub most of their groups let the defense get set>>Umpire would point at the Center (Ok the snapping of the ball) >>Then they would run another player that may not even get inside the numbers>>then snap the ball before UT Defense could adjust.

On Defense: When UT would sub, they would send theirs players in after UT offense players would start working to their positions, then before the Umpire would ok the snap they would start subbing players. The ones running off the field would barely jog off taking most of our play clock away from us.

CBJ was so pissed at the this crew I'm surprised he didn't get a flag, so you can contribute the 1st half to that issue and UT defense and offense looking for this situation.

Yeah they are not as good as they have been, so a bit of trickery help to blow the game open.

CBJ will not make excuses but all you have to do is to watch the film.

File an official protest with the ncaa and the conference office. :idea:

As a former NFL ref, in this instance, as long as the Alabama players runs inside the "hashmark," it is not a penalty. You can't have 10 men in the huddle and sneak a player by the sideline. They have to come inside the hashmark which the Alabama player did.
You see it on extra points routinely. Someone forgot to get in the game and run onto the field just before the attempt.

I understand you point of view, but there is a big difference in the effect running a player on late will have on an extra point and a play from scrimmage at the start of a game. The late entry of a player happened too many times to just be someone forgot to come on the field when they were supposed to. Everytime it happened, it caused a lot of confusion in the defensive set. It was primarily due to the late person being a WR. I also don't believe the extra person made it all the way to the hashmark each time either.

Re: "the first play Bama scored on"

That's the type of play-calling I'm ready to see from OUR offense !

Not arguing, but, maybe our DC could have called a TO if the 1st play set didn't match up correctly (maybe not)? I thought there were some other more blatantly-questionable substitutions, but this first play vid seems to show AL had 11 players set w/ no wide-outs and with our #17 (Dev Smith?) securely and readily lined up opposite Cooper. This is not Cooper's first play of game TD this year and he is nation's #1 receiver/player -- and he should have been anticipated as the #1 target-- but, unfortunately #17/no one followed Cooper when he motioned wide right, until too late. Miscommunication, and I trust we'll be better-readied for some same type calling from Spurrier this Saturday. GO VOLS!

Go back and look at the play. The receiver ran on very late and it caused a massive amount of confusion in the defensive backfield. They tried to adjust to the now new formation and Bama snapped the ball while they were still trying to adjust. In the ensuing confusion, they lost track of Cooper on the drag route.

I think having the 11th guy come onto the field like that should be a penalty. To me it is worse than 12 men in the huddle and then the 12th person leaving the field because you still have a few seconds to adjust to that person leaving before the snap. In this situation, there was no time for the defense to adjust to the new player that just ran onto the field. Or at the very least require a delay of a few seconds between having the 11th person run on the field and snapping the ball.

Go back and look at the play. The receiver ran on very late and it caused a massive amount of confusion in the defensive backfield. They tried to adjust to the now new formation and Bama snapped the ball while they were still trying to adjust. In the ensuing confusion, they lost track of Cooper on the drag route.

Bama wins in Knoxville, improves to 7-1

Maybe I'm looking at diff vid/wrong play, but From the :53 mark of the SEC network website vid (score 0-0), which is what the op says he is viewing, (it seems) we can only see the play from about .5-1 sec prior to the snap, and everyone seems set, so I can't tell how no one (including #17) noticed Cooper -- the #1 player in America -- not standing behind the TE at left hash (unless he dropped in from above). My point is: during last week's practice, D should have known exactly who (2 or more possibly) would be responsible for locating Cooper on the field at first play (since Kiffin is sneaky, and they've already scored first play of game w/ Cooper this year once recently).

My 2nd point is, WE have GO TO guys (who can catch a simple pass like that one to Cooper or Better) and we need to be calling/running plays equally as smart -- it is time to get serious, because (I see) the talent is there for us to be winning these games (and I think that's what Jalen Hurd is trying to tell us -- "just give me the ball coach").

Do you have link to the vid that shows Cooper/11th man running on to the field per op (b/c I too heard on radio it was issue, but I'm seeing it on this vid)? Thanks.

VN Store

Back