Butch Jones, Mark Stoops and the moral victory analogy

BigOrangeTrain

Morior Invictus
I was discussing this with a friend earlier today and he brought up something that I hadn't paid attention to until I thought about VN.

He talked about what a great job Stoops is doing. He also talked about how close UK played UF and even MSU. While I do agree, it got me thinking. UK lost those games. From what a lot of people on VN have said, there are no moral victories. So why is Stoops progress praised in his losses but not Butch?

Why is that UK can play an easier schedule and Stoops is thought of as doing great even in the games he loses? Is there a double standard?

Reactions: 16 people
Yes. Kentucky expects to lose and we expect to win. Kentucky has always been satisfied with "keeping it close."

Reactions: 6 people
Agree but also reverse the schedule and see where you are. Big difference in who we have played and who UK has played. Just sayin....

If we played your schedule we would have beaten UF and probably played everyone else pretty much the same. Maybe not UGA, seems to be a UT thing playing the dawgs close every time.

Since when? When is the last time we played a top team and you truly expected to win?

Some of you need a reality check.
I expect our program to win every game, every year. The reality is that we haven't and we won't (win every game). But that is still my expectations. I expect our Athletic Department to field a competitive team that can compete in each and every game. Hopefully, the AD can give you hope in the near future.

Reactions: 2 people
Kentucky is a bottom feeder foosball team. Let's not sully our glorious Orange with comparisons to that school up north.

Oh my- have we sunk to new lows in comparing football programs with Kentucky?

Didn't think it was a UK/UT comparison, but rather a Stoops/Jones comparison. No need to be sensitive. Eventually UT will return

Reactions: 1 person
Playing at home I think we win. And we basically won the UF game on the road. :)

Really ? Why do you say that? Because there should have been a delay called on a fg ? We could say the same thing. Not saying you aren't having a good year but we also played at Okla, ga and OM on the road. As well as Bama at home. What's your schedule look like ? Yes we should have beat Fl.

Reactions: 1 person
Kentucky is a much improved team. They were in better shape talent wise when stoops came in, than we were when Butch took over. I know their record didn't show it cause their coach was bad. We were a team that usually quit first quarter the last 2 years with Dooley, even early last year. I'm not one for shouting we played them close, but if you can't see the improvement in our team you need new football glasses. The talent is here and coming, and yes I was proud Saturday after being down 27-0 and the way they fought back!

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back