I have an honest question

BeattieFeathers

It is often quoted that so and so has a record of 0 and 13 against top ten teams. Is there a coach living that has a good record against top ten teams? What is a good record? What's a good record against the top twenty? And when records are quoted, do they mean top ten at the time they played? If not, then a lot of top ten teams get knocked out of the top ten with a loss. I have a feeling that .500 against the top ten would be stellar even though at first blush, you would not think so. I wonder who has done the research?

Only 11% of all FBS coaches have a winning record against top 25 competition. ...Google is good

Which leads me to further questions....nick saban has played 40 top 25 teams since 2007, but butch has already played 10 top ten teams in 18 games? Why do we expect butch to have a stellar record? Look at the number of top twenty five teams some of these household names have played in their entire careers! People get tooooooooo fixated on records and not the competition.

Reactions: 16 people
Which leads me to further questions....nick saban has played 40 top 25 teams since 2007, but butch has already played 10 top ten teams in 18 games? Why do we expect butch to have a stellar record? Look at the number of top twenty five teams some of these household names have played in their entire careers! People get tooooooooo fixated on records and not the competition.
Because butch said losing will never be accepted at Tennessee duh

I think it's the manner that we have lost some of them. People quote his win/loss record against those teams, but truthfully the only games that people truly are holding grudges over are 2013 florida, 2013 Vandy, 2014 UGA (some bad OC calls cost us), 2014 Florida

Reactions: 1 person
This proves the expectations of many of Volnation's football experts, coaches, geniuses and other exceptionals are unrealistic.

Reactions: 5 people
This proves the expectations of many of Volnation's football experts, coaches, geniuses and other exceptionals are unrealistic.

Going bowling this year isn't unrealistic. Beating a 4-8 Florida team last year or a garbage Vandy team isn't unrealistic. Beating Florida this year was far from unrealistic.

Reactions: 7 people
I think it's the manner that we have lost some of them. People quote his win/loss record against those teams, but truthfully the only games that people truly are holding grudges over are 2013 florida, 2013 Vandy, 2014 UGA (some bad OC calls cost us), 2014 Florida

All the close ones, huh?

All the close ones, huh?

Unfortunately close doesn't cut it. If you recall, Dooley was close numerous times too. UNC, LSU, UGA, SC, Mizzou & Miss St in 2012. At some point those have to become wins. Jones got the SC win last year and gained great traction, but took steps backward when losing to Vandy. This year is shaping up to be similar - he's got to get to a bowl or this season was a complete and utter failure.

Maybe....maybe not. You still have to consider the number of young players and the anorexic depth. This team is an injury or two away from being severely hampered

When we said at the first of the season that 6-6 was the goal, we also said we had to stay healthy at qb and the offensive line. Clearly we have not. To be fair, Florida and a Missouri were the swing games. But now, we see both Carolina and Kentucky as swing games. Winning the two home games is doable. We play well at Neyland.

Don't you think that is alot for a season and a half?

Unfortunately close doesn't cut it. If you recall, Dooley was close numerous times too. UNC, LSU, UGA, SC, Mizzou & Miss St in 2012. At some point those have to become wins. Jones got the SC win last year and gained great traction, but took steps backward when losing to Vandy. This year is shaping up to be similar - he's got to get to a bowl or this season was a complete and utter failure.

Vandy did finish 9-4.....they weren't the typical Vandy team......

What made Dooley so bad is how we lost those games. We had plenty of talent, especially on the offensive side of the ball - but Dooley would find the worst ways to lose games. He couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. Jones is in a different situation. He has a pretty bare cupboard. Jones needs more opportunities with better players against these top teams before we say he isnt getting it done.

Reactions: 3 people

I don't agree that a season where we have four seniors in our two deep, and for all intents and purposes lost our qb at Georgia when he got injured, is a failure, regardless of the final record. Next season would be time to start making predictions on whether year four would yield a hot seat. It's a bottom line business, but year two shouldn't predict the future, no more than it did for brady joke, terry Bowden, gene chizik, or mike archer.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back