Learning how to win...

1standgoal

How would you feel as a player hearing your coach say you're learning how to win? Has got to be the most ridiculous statement any coach could make, knowing most of the Vols came from winning programs in HS.

Reactions: 2 people
Most guys in hs are used to being the biggest and fastest player on the field. They use their talent to win. In college probably half the players are just as big and fast. Guys have to learn it takes more than talent to win consistently. It takes hard work and mental toughness.

Reactions: 7 people
It's a rather silly statement but one that a coach can say for a while--but now, late in his second season, with losses piling up, it is wearing pretty thin and he probably should stop saying it. You don't learn to win, you simply make enough good plays to do so or you don't.

Reactions: 3 people
"Learning to win" alludes to building confidence. Are you saying confidence is not important? I strongly disagree.

I think he means as fans and as a program, not the players personally.

I doubt it. Unless you are a fan under 10 you know what it is like to win as a Tennessee fan. It's kind of a stupid comment "fans don't know how to win." It's impossible for fans to "win" games. We show up, we get excited and we cheer. As a program we are a top 10 all-time program. I really don't think Butch is talking about the fans need to win. My guess, he is talking about the confidence, swagger, desire and expectation to win. The determination to not lose.

That being said, this year and next year, I firmly believe we will see the wins start rolling in.

Last edited:
How would you feel as a player hearing your coach say you're learning how to win? Has got to be the most ridiculous statement any coach could make, knowing most of the Vols came from winning programs in HS.

CBJ is 100% spot on with that statement. Jimmies, Joes, X's, O's, whatever.... When a culture of losing sets in, a palpable "we're gonna screw this up somehow" mentality develops which must be unlearned and replaced with "we got this." Teams with "we got this" usually win when they should and sometimes when they shouldn't. Teams with the loser mentality find ways to self-fulfill the prophecy.

CBJ did the same thing with Palardy last year. However, it's easier to change one person's mindset than a whole team culture.

Also, your comment about winning in HS is a bit flawed from the start. BECAUSE they win so much in HS, with so little effort required as they are so physically dominant at that level, most elite athletes have no clue about the level of dedication required to win in college. Hence, "we're still learning to win" really refers to things such a work ethic and being coachable.

Just my 2 cents.

AV

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people
He was being literal. UT has amnesia on what it's like to be good and that we can be.

[Blue Font]

Winning in high school and winning in college are very different. It's a true statement I'd bet the players actually understand it.

Winning in high school and winning in college are very different. It's a true statement I'd bet the players actually understand it.

Winning in the Big East and winning in the SEC are very different, as well. Maybe he was talking about the staff.

Reactions: 4 people
I interpret it to be a reminder of the losing culture fostered by Doofus. Pre-CBJ when an opposing team took the lead, we'd fold. Now, we fight and play hard for the entire game. To me it's about building a culture where the team has swagger and expects to win everytime it takes the field. We didn't have that under Doofus.

Reactions: 1 person
I interpret it to be a reminder of the losing culture fostered by Doofus. Pre-CBJ when an opposing team took the lead, we'd fold. Now, we fight and play hard for the entire game. To me it's about building a culture where the team has swagger and expects to win everytime it takes the field. We didn't have that under Doofus.

I agree. That's what I think he means to. We've been lossing so long is like watching the movie The Natural when the guy is talking to the team and says, Losing is a disease! Lol

Often times, the difference between winning and losing is in the semmingly little things. Lazy people tend to cut corners and not do things the proper way but do it well enough to get by.

Walking to the huddle vs. running to the huddle. Showing up for team meetings on time vs. showing up 15 minutes early.

Going to the locker room immediately after practice vs. staying an extra 30 minutes to practice running routes.

Comments on this post are wrong. Learning how to win means to be a good winner--for example not celebrating and dance a jig when you make a tackle 5 yds downfield--newsflash--you are on the defense, your job is to make tackles. Learning to win is not showboating or trash talking. Learning to win is to never ever quit.

CBJ often talks about "earning the right to win" as well which goes hand in hand with learning how to win. It's doing the right things on and off the field. I think the players have bought into that - academic improvements have been off the charts along with changing the culture of how the kids go about their business. CBJ has done everything right off the field - I hope and pray we start seeing those results show on the field in the month of November.

If he is using it in the sense that many other coaches have, My guess is stepping up at those crucial moments. If you can play well enough to challenge teams UGA, UF
Bama (2nd half) etc., then at those moments when it is needed most, Step up and make the big plays, don't have them made on you.

Edit:Should have added.... This goes hand in hand with the mental and physical changes that others suggested.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back