Bitter Sweet. Big shoes to fill.....

madbamahater

AJ Johnson has 4 games left. He has grown to be one of my favorite Vols of all time. I thought when he was recruited, he would be special.

From playing as a true freshman from the get go he had his struggles and set backs.

From playing out of position his freshman year (due to inept coaching ability from Dooley) to one of the most effective defenders to put on the Big Orange!

AJ is a true Vol For Life and I hope he goes on to a long and satisfying career in the NFL.

It's been a long time since the Vols have had someone work so hard at improving and accepting a leadership role like he has. He's done everything right. He has transformed into a tremendous prospect at the next level. His speed, quickness and overall development have been a pleasure to watch.

This leads me to my question. Who fills these shoes? Will it be a young Cecil Cherry? Will it be a true freshman all over again? Coming in....how does Cherry stack up physically (size, speed, what have you..)

Thanks AJ! I hope you all rally and finish out with these 4 wins. Shut those gamecocks down!!!

Reactions: 41 people
I can't wait to watch the position battle next year. I'd guess that Jakob Johnson is probably the most likely candidate but I can't wait to watch Cherry either!

Reeves-Maybin yo!

AJ is a boss and has done everything you mentioned...he will be missed. I'm hopeful that JRM has been taking notes. The potential is there.

Reactions: 2 people
Has played himself this year to a late 1st early 2nd round player in next years draft

AJ is truly a beast. Whatever NFL team that drafts him will be on my very short list of teams I am willing to watch play outside of the vols.

1.Broncos
2. KC
3. AJ's Team

I know there is a good deal of other teams with multiple vols. And while I support ALL VFL's. I have my favorites :)

Reeves-Maybin will be an automatic leader. But he needs to be on the outside for sure..

He will be big enough and smart enough to play MLB...then Weatherd and BATES at OLB. Idk if Cherry will be ready from a mental standpoint as a true freshman to play MLB

Gavin Bryant.. being redshirted this year but thigpen was quoted saying he reminds him of "al wilson"... kid will be a stud after his body matures.

Reactions: 7 people
This year's entire defense has been special, they may have been out manned at times but never out hustled or out desired. I thank these young men for allowing me to watch a defense that wanted to play defense.:clapping:

Reactions: 6 people
If AJ doesn't make 1st team All-America something is bad wrong . The body of work this season and last is there for all to see. :yes:

Reactions: 2 people
He's been a pleasure to watch. He really had a nose for the ball. It's a shame this is his only year that he had actually had the supporting cast so he could play in position.

I'm gonna miss watching him. I feel bad for what he's been through (Dooley), but peiud of the way he's played and improved.

Wouldn't rule out Bynum playing a ton next year. No one will be able to replace AJ, but hopefully Maggit, Cam, Randolph, and JRM will provide the leadership and enthusiasm AJ brings to the field everyday.

Wouldn't rule out Bynum playing a ton next year. No one will be able to replace AJ, but hopefully Maggit, Cam, Randolph, and JRM will provide the leadership and enthusiasm AJ brings to the field everyday.

I think that is the thing I am most thankful for with AJ. He built the mentality we have seen this year from the defense and that isn't something that leaves with him. He taught the rest of the team how to be leaders and I am fully confident that trend will continue for years to come. Thanks AJ!

JRM is an outside LB and will stay there. He does not have the size that you would need at MLB. Likely to be Gavin Bryant at MLB. Most of the time our defense is using a MLB and an outside LB with a standup LEO pass rushing....

Thanks AJ! I'm going to miss that boom stick. One of my favorite defensive players, up there with Berry, Little, and Wilson.

Jakob Johnson and Curt Maggit will get looks there too I bet.

AJ deserves a bowl more than any Vol ever. The team will keep fighting and get 6 wins for him!

Proud of AJ and respect him a great deal for coming back this year to continue to help turn this program around. I love the way he plays. He plays football the way it should be played with high energy and a lot of fun. I will definitely keep up with him in the NFL

VN Store

Back