dobbs redshirt rumor

PowerWookie

go aaaarrrrnnngeee!!
I heard a rumor why Dobbs hasn't been starting..... his family said that they didn't want Butch Jones to burn his redshirt unless it was absolutely necessary. One can probably understand why because it's an academic thing for him to graduate the way he wants to and get a masters degree still getting all of the four years of eligibility.

One could Especially see how this is true when there was no way to know if he would do any better than Worley especially early in the season after the the offense almost put up 40 on UGA.

but UTs had was forced by Worley injury so Dobbs played

I respect a coaching staff that tries to grant players and families wishes if they are reasonable. I think recruits respect that too.

Reactions: 17 people
I heard a rumor why Dobbs hasn't been starting..... his family said that they didn't want Butch Jones to burn his redshirt unless it was absolutely necessary. One can probably understand why because it's an academic thing for him to graduate the way he wants to and get a masters degree still getting all of the four years of eligibility.

One could Especially see how this is true when there was no way to know if he would do any better than Worley especially early in the season after the the offense almost put up 40 on UGA.

but UTs had was forced by Worley injury so Dobbs played

I respect a coaching staff that tries to grant players and families wishes if they are reasonable. I think recruits respect that too.
Yeah, that's about as legit as Peyton and the BIG donors swooping in to hire Gruden with their own money....we're just waiting for him to sign the contract.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WovrPXMm3LQ[/youtube]

grudenralphie720-1.gif

Reactions: 14 people
Not sure I can respect this wish,IF, he has been better all along than the product on the field.

I know he is a smart kid and the education is a big thing for him, and I really do respect that. The real fact of the matter is that the clock is ticking on his football career. He only has 4 years left to play 3. Can finish the education after football.

I know that sounds selfish, but I see it as not being there for the team if he is truly the guy. Never understood the dire want of red shirting him anyway. We already have 4 QB committed to us over the next 3 years. A team should win every game possible to pay respect to the sacrifice made by others to be there to play. How would AJ really feel if our staff sandbagged to help the future and we do not get to a bowl this year? Always play the best guy, and play to win or stay home, turn in your Vol card!

That's just my take.:yes:

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Not sure I can respect this wish,IF, he has been better all along than the product on the field.

I know he is a smart kid and the education is a big thing for him, and I really do respect that. The real fact of the matter is that the clock is ticking on his football career. He only has 4 years left to play 3. Can finish the education after football.

I know that sounds selfish, but I see it as not being there for the team if he is truly the guy. Never understood the dire want of red shirting him anyway. We already have 4 QB committed to us over the next 3 years. A team should win every game possible to pay respect to the sacrifice made by others to be there to play. How would AJ really feel if our staff sandbagged to help the future and we do not get to a bowl this year? Always play the best guy, and play to win or stay home, turn in your Vol card!

That's just my take.:yes:

if your teammates truly see you as family they will make sacrifices for you.

Plus I think the team believed that Worley could get them a W in some of the games we lost.... unfortunately he regressed... If they had a crystal ball that said Dobbs plays they win I think Dobbs plays, but there is/was no crystal ball

Reactions: 5 people
if your teammates truly see you as family they will make sacrifices for you.

Plus I think the team believed that Worley could get them a W in some of the games we lost.... unfortunately he regressed... If they had a crystal ball that said Dobbs plays they win I think Dobbs plays, but there is/was no crystal ball

And I don't have a problem with that and I am sure the team would sacrifice for him if it truly him and his families wish. But the team needs to know that going in, and they may have, but I am sure that would have leaked out long before now, if that's what they wanted.

This is beyond dumb. The coaches do not ask parents if they can play their kids after they have committed. Your on scholarship and play when told. Then there is a million other reasons this is dumb

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
This is beyond dumb. The coaches do not ask parents if they can play their kids after they have committed. Your on scholarship and play when told. Then there is a million other reasons this dumb

“I think our relationship is just more than football. It’s just hard to explain. He just understands me as a person, and he’s respecting me as a person.”

Quote from Drew Richmond but the phrase “ he’s respecting me as a person.” could easily apply to Dobbs too..

I'm done arguing... you guys know it all... just haven't been on much lately and figured this had been discussed and wanted to hear folks POV.

Reactions: 8 people
“I think our relationship is just more than football. It’s just hard to explain. He just understands me as a person, and he’s respecting me as a person.”

Quote from Drew Richmond but the phrase “ he’s respecting me as a person.” could easily apply to Dobbs too..

I'm done arguing... you guys know it all... just haven't been on much lately and figured this had been discussed and wanted to hear folks POV.
At what point does Richmond say coach asked my parents?

Here's something from Sparty

http://www.volnation.com/forum/10743009-post.html

What Sparty said doesn't sound unbelievable. One of the regular guests on Basilio said that Jones and Dobbs parents are pretty close, or something of that sort, iirc.

Here is my random theory. I believe coach Jones gave the job too the senior experienced veteran because no one separated themselves in practice to where there was a discernible difference. All the while knowing he could redshirt Dobbs. Gave peterman multiple chances this year to show he could get it done and decided to give Dobbs his shot and so far has made the most of it. Let's be honest regardless of what us fans think butch Jones wants a bowl game worse than any of us and I think he decided that Dobbs may in fact give us the best chance to do that. Regardless I would expect to see Josh Dobbs the last four games.

VN Store

Back