Open Letter to Tennessee fans..,

Bama is not the only team that has absolutely stupid fans. We have a vocal minority who will never liked Butch for whatever reason. It's a good thing they don't run the program because they would fold at every loss or bad play. We are blessed that we have cooler heads running the show than these people and understand you don't get there in one recruiting class given what Butch inherited.

Reactions: 24 people
Page is blank in link.

Maybe due to mobile link?

See below

Tennessee Football: An Open Letter to Volunteers Who Want to Fire Butch Jones

Dear fellow Tennessee Volunteers fan,

It's been a painful journey these past many years. Little did we know that after Phillip Fulmer "resigned" in 2008 we'd still be finding our footing again in 2014. They say that good things come to those who wait—and believe me, I'm expecting big things for the Vols based on this adage!

I've thrown my voice out with you when the team came out in black on Halloween under Lane Kiffin. I've wept with you after losing two games when leading on the scoreboard at the end of the game in 2010. I took some terrible abuse from you when I suggested moving on from Derek Dooley.

But it's okay. All in good fanhood.

I stood beside you and screamed for Butch Jones, who has injected life back into the program. I watched with you when the team nearly beat Georgia in his first year, then come back and toppled a great South Carolina team the next game. I saw Jones guide the team to being within six points of a 5-3 record this season. I've monitored Tennessee's stellar recruiting class on the message boards with you, too.

But when you called into the local radio show today and said you thought Jones should be fired, I decided to turn you loose. You're officially on your own.

This is because I understand that while we fans are on year six of the post-Fulmer era, Jones' staff is just past the halfway point of year two. I also understand that the Vols were six points away from beating Georgia in back-to-back years, but both times, the depleted, under-experienced Vols came up short.

This shows that the lack of winning isn't because of the Xs and Os. There is a simple lack of player talent and depth. The 2014 team is a perfect example.

Just look at the squad. The best players are freshmen and sophomores. Cameron Sutton, Marquez North, Derek Barnett, Jalen Hurd, Josh Malone, Ethan Wolf, Corey Vereen, Todd Kelly and more are all in either their first or second year. Though there has been little reason to look forward in the past, there is plenty of reason now.

As if that weren't reason enough, Jones is bringing in another terrific recruiting class. Is it worth it to restart the entire process when you have a coach who is so clearly on the right path to bringing in elite players again and has a track record of developing them into champions? No, it's not.

Please, when you're frustrated, grab a punching bag. Don't vouch for putting the program another five years away from relevancy.

Sincerely,

Daniel

P.S. Butch Jones' Vols have lost 12 games during his tenure. Ten of those losses (83 percent) have been against opponents ranked in the top 20. Eight of those losses (75 percent) have been against opponents ranked in the top 10.

- Daniel Hudson, BR

Reactions: 19 people
I can't imagine why anyone would want to fire Butch, unless you are a rival fan or maybe on crack.

Reactions: 32 people
I've only seen/heard a hand full of people who suggested it but I didn't take them seriously. The next 4 games will tell a lot but not enough to tell the whole story.

Reactions: 1 person
Who wants Jones fired? I'm sure there's an idiot or two calling into a talkshow here and there, but for the most part this is a straw man argument. He deserves praise for his recruiting, his tireless promotion of the program, for his upset win vs SCar and for his handling of the APR. But he also has earned some scrutiny and criticism for recording the worst loss in school history and for his game preparation and game management in a couple of very bad, inexcusable losses IMHO. If we/I voice some frustration and doubt about those things on a message board or radio station, it doesn't mean we/I want him fired.

Reactions: 16 people
Firing Butch Jones after losing to Ole Miss, Bama, OK at OK, should be given an IQ test before allowed to post (or call) anything else. It is a short list of coaches who can beat those teams.

Reactions: 4 people
Who doesn't like jones? About 10-12 doo doo heads with no life that are screaming as loud as they can because they know it will get them attention... And it does.

Reactions: 5 people
It's a shame how people are treating a guy in his second year that has things looking up when other teams are paying their guy $7 mil and the fans are paying off his mortgage and paying his yearly property taxes among other things. Kind of shows you the difference between true fans and the not so true.

If things haven't improved in another two to three years, fire his butt. Until then, support him and trust he is making the best decisions for the team he can.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
I hope Butch knows these people wanting him or any of his coaches fired doesn't know football!

I bet the man doesn't sleep two hours a night and then he reads or hears stuff like this. Embarrassing to say the least but I can't wait for meeechigan to hire them a coach!

Until I see more than one or two idiots calling for CBJ's job, I'm gonna assume this author is just trying to get clicks.

Negativity =/= Wanting him fired.

Who wants Jones fired? I'm sure there's an idiot or two calling into a talkshow here and there, but for the most part this is a straw man argument. He deserves praise for his recruiting, his tireless promotion of the program, for his upset win vs SCar and for his handling of the APR. But he also has earned some scrutiny and criticism for recording the worst loss in school history and for his game preparation and game management in a couple of very bad, inexcusable losses IMHO. If we/I voice some frustration and doubt about those things on a message board or radio station, it doesn't mean we/I want him fired.

This, all day long. There are several individual decisions Butch and his staff have made that are questionable; but, overall I believe the team is headed in the right direction. Now it is on Butch and the team to finish strong, get to (and win) a bowl, and keep the strong recruiting momentum going.

Reactions: 2 people
I haven't seen any call for a firing. I do think that if we don't go to a bowl this year some will demand results next year and others will want to cling onto whatever hope they have in the staff. Article is probably 12 months early IMO.

If UT fires CBJ, we won't be relevant again until 2020. I'm too old to wait that long to smile on Saturday afternoon/night after a solid win over a solid SEC opponent.

This. I've seen/heard plenty of people criticizing him for mistakes and whatnot (in fact I am one of them) but I haven't seen anyone calling for him to be fired. I'm sure there are one or two out there but I have not seen or heard of it. Now Bajakian...

This. I've seen/heard plenty of people criticizing him for mistakes and whatnot (in fact I am one of them) but I haven't seen anyone calling for him to be fired. I'm sure there are one or two out there but I have not seen or heard of it. Now Bajakian...

Case and point last two words in that qoute!

SPOT ON!!!!! Like I keep saying this isn't basketball you can't win with all these freshman and sophomores, but when they becoming juniors/seniors watch out!!

The only people who would want Jones fired at this point in time are idiots who know nothing or idiots who never wanted him here to begin with and want him to fail just so they can say "Told you so." I'm not against questioning some things that have happened but to call for his firing is beyond dumb. Why people let an extremely small minority influence anything they do is beyond me.

VN Store

Back