Not understanding CBJ willingness to save players for next season at the expense of t

Dr Dread

Not understanding CBJ willingness to save players for next season at the expense of this one. It would be different if we had no chance to win significant games, but UGA & UF were very winnable with different personel decisions. By no means do I believe that Dobbs should have started over Worley at the start of the season, in a tight game against UGA with the team playing their hearts out, going for the win should have been more important than saving Dobb"s redshirt once Worley was knocked out of the game. The following week against the Gators, both teams were struggling to move the ball. Had we brought Dobbs off the bench, that very easily could've been the spark we needed to actually get the ball into the endzone. When I buy season tickets I expect to see a team fighting to win every game by playing the guys that give us the best chance to win each time out; not a team trying to be competitive as they can while saving players for next year that could give us a better shot this year. After seeing what Dobbs brings to the field, it makes me wonder about the decision not to play Blair.

Reactions: 13 people
Please look at any of the dozens of threads that have been discussing the topic to death. He wanted to be able to redshirt Dobbs to let him develop more. He still needs a little more size and strength and also needs to work more on accuracy. The other project in waiting, Blair, appears to have just been out of shape and not ready to go.

Reactions: 8 people
Not understanding CBJ willingness to save players for next season at the expense of this one. It would be different if we had no chance to win significant games, but UGA & UF were very winnable with different personel decisions. By no means do I believe that Dobbs should have started over Worley at the start of the season, in a tight game against UGA with the team playing their hearts out, going for the win should have been more important than saving Dobb"s redshirt once Worley was knocked out of the game. The following week against the Gators, both teams were struggling to move the ball. Had we brought Dobbs off the bench, that very easily could've been the spark we needed to actually get the ball into the endzone. When I buy season tickets I expect to see a team fighting to win every game by playing the guys that give us the best chance to win each time out; not a team trying to be competitive as they can while saving players for next year that could give us a better shot this year. After seeing what Dobbs brings to the field, it makes me wonder about the decision not to play Blair.

There have been threads already this season asking if we could get a JUCO QB next season because we were going to be doomed if we had to depend on Peterman or Dobbs as the starter next season. Now suddenly Dobbs has a decent running game against Bama and the same fanbase wonders why Dobbs hasn't started all of this season. Gotta love our fanbase.

Reactions: 13 people
You're basing all that on the ASSUMPTION we would have won those games with Dobbs starting.

You know what happens you make an ASSUMPTION?

Last edited:
There have been threads already this season asking if we could get a JUCO QB next season because we were going to be doomed if we had to depend on Peterman or Dobbs as the starter next season. Now suddenly Dobbs has a decent running game against Bama and the same fanbase wonders why Dobbs hasn't started all of this season. Gotta love our fanbase.

Don't forget the mensas bemoaning the "loss" of Maclendon in the last class.

According to some of the information in other posts regarding this topic, Dobbs wasn't close to being the starter earlier in the season, he has progressed, and he had a good game. Hopefully he continues to progress and gain confidence in his play, but to assume that CBJ and staff tried to redshirt Dobbs even though he was the best QB for this year is completely crazy IMO.

Reactions: 3 people
Not understanding CBJ willingness to save players for next season at the expense of this one. It would be different if we had no chance to win significant games, but UGA & UF were very winnable with different personel decisions. By no means do I believe that Dobbs should have started over Worley at the start of the season, saving Dobb"s redshirt once Worley was knocked out of the game.

Should we expect an apology from the man trying his best to actually develop some players for the future? Something the previous coaches obviously had no interest in doing, and look where that got us.

I don't post often on here, but am a frequent (at least 5 times a day) visitor and reader. This just strikes me as ignorance. I can't even begin to come back at some of the things you say solely because I begin thinking about another flaw in your logic.

Not only is hindsight 20-20, but we are where we are because of lack of experience among other things. Let's all blame the man trying to bring some experience to the team.

Then again, let's not develop anyone and just continue to teeter on the 6-6 line every year. I bet in a couple years you make a post criticizing his decision to play him or would be calling for his head had he always listened to you on player management decisions.

Mind wandering too fast to stay on any one topic so I will cut it off with that. I would be here all day trying to make you understand, but something tells me you never will.

P.S.: The sentence or two that I have highlighted seems extremely contradicting to me, you simply can not have your cake and eat it too in the SEC. CBJ can do no right in the eyes of some this season. Just wait.. It is coming.

At the beginning of the year to now...how many practices has there been? In fall practice Worley beat Dobbs out....reports stated Dobbs just looked bad. He has had all this time to work on his game and work on his weaknesses.

YOU REALLY THINK Butch and Co. don't give a damn about winning now? Dobbs has obviously...for one game against the strongest defense we will face this year...turned it on and played great. So now as a HC...you let these guys compete. You can not turn your back on a Senior QB that has taking a beating all year and your young team is looking up to as a leader. That is how you lose your team's trust. You have to let it go through competition...Dobbs has to go take it away from Justin IMHO. You lose your job when you get out competed for it. That is what this staff has said from day one....and that is what Butch said it would be today.

Grade a QB four ways:
Arm, legs, head, and heart

So far Dobbs has shown he can run (legs) but his passes were not on target (pretty spiral though), has not won a game or led us on a winning drive -- so for now his grade is incomplete. I hope he or whoever plays Saturday helps us find a way to beat South Carolina The defense will play a big role in that game too

Let's try this again...stating your assumptions as fact is wrong. Either produce concrete evidence that CBJ is throwing away this season for the potential success of future seasons or stop. It's that simple.

Reactions: 2 people

Okay, he is building for the future but trying to win now.

With 30 recruits that arrived in the last recruiting cycle, all but Von & Blair are freshmen.

So, bUTch plays all of these players and red shirts none of them. Then in 2018, the entire class will be graduated.
In 2019, he will have a big recruiting class again and will have lost some senior leadership & some depth in 2019 because they all graduated at the same time.

Wouldn't it have been great if Worley had a red shirt year and we could have had him on the team an additional season?

Wouldn't it have been great if Al Wilson had a red shirt season and he could have been on the team in 1999? He leadership might have prevented us from losing to Florida & Arkansas that season.

Wouldn't it have been great to have had Manning red shirt and had him an additional season?

Players that are starters get really good from their 4th year on campus to their 5th year on campus. Usually a big improvement.

Reactions: 2 people
It's called preparing for the long haul. Apparently, Jones looks to build a program for the future and isn't willing to sacrifice long term goals for short term gratification.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
People intentionally forget worley played pretty damn good. There's no way to forecast he would throw some critical ints that could've turned the won loss record on its head.

Yeah obviously we're saving people for next season considering we've started more true freshmen than any other team in the country. Quite possibly the most idiotic crap stewed on this board in a great while.

Yeah obviously we're saving people for next season considering we've started more true freshmen than any other team in the country. Quite possibly the most idiotic crap stewed on this board in a great while.

Good point.

I think it is a balancing act with which coaches have to contend. If you have someone that can get the job done and someone you can ferment to make better, you go that way. If you don't, you go with what you got.

Kind of like a good whisky. Do you tap that cask before it's time for a good buzz today or do you let it mature and savor the result when it's time?

Last edited:
It is a delicate balancing act, one that can have unforeseen consequences and benefits far down the road. On at least one occasion, Bobby Scott admitted that, in retrospect, he regretted not having taken a redshirt as an underclassman. Bobby was the senior quarterback on our 4th-ranked, Sugar Bowl Champion 1970 team. The 1971 team returned an outstanding defense, one that held opponents to a seasonal average of ca. 206 yards and 10 points per game. Unfortunately, we had a revolving turnstile at the quarterback position; Jim Maxwell eventually settled in as the starter but our trio of quarterbacks that year combined for less than 1,000 yards passing, a woeful completion percentage (39.7%), three touchdowns through the air and 15 interceptions. Bobby said that, if that team had an experienced quarterback (i.e. him) as the starter, they would have competed for the national championship. And he's right. As it was, Tennessee finished 10-2 and 9th in the AP poll (1971 Tennessee Volunteers Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com).

So, in a nutshell, sometimes these decisions can have enormous repercussions.

Not sure I agree with most of the posters who are indicating that CBJ is looking at the future and not this year. He is willing to play freshman on the OL, why would holding Dobbs out better for the future? I think his loyalty to JW cost us some wins, and this offense is built on a Dual Threat QB, not a pocket passer..........so, you could say CBJ was putting JW in harms way on purpose to develop the OL for Dobbs in 2015. Also, if Dobbs was to start as a Sophomore, would it hurt the recuiting on future QBs? A lot of IF and Buts, but Dobbs did what he did last year.......extended plays with his feet. Are all of you saying, if Dobbs had recieved more reps with the 1s he would not have been ready?..........I am not buying it, I think CBJ made a rookie SEC coaching error...I don't think he is as big a risk taker, for example: 3s vs trying for TDs of 4th down.....I know the statistics, but it could have been a momentum changer. I think CBJ is learning this year as much as his OL is.......this is why when he was chosen and coming out of a non-big 5 conference that he would have growing pains as well as his team. I like him, but a River Boat Gambler.........he is not.

He played Dobbs last year as a freshman due to injuries. Worley has played well all year until the hits finally caught up with him. So what is your argument again?

He played Dobbs last year as a freshman due to injuries. Worley has played well all year until the hits finally caught up with him. So what is your argument again?

Worley has played well until its time to throw the clutch pass in the endzone, sorry, but he forces passes a the very worst time. It is MY opinion, JW lost 2 games for UT........that is the way I see it.

VN Store

Back