AJ Johnson

Spiva averaged 11.6 tackles/game for his career.

AJ has averaged 9.3 tackles/game for his career (11.5 in 2012 alone).

Both are very impressive stats.

AJ is trusting the players around him this year...players around him are playing better this year than in the past.. My point is AJ is not looking like he missing plays like 2013, doing his job...and fun to watch.. Keep it going RAMBRO

Since this is an AJ thread, I will ask this question. after we cut it to 27-17, Alabama went on that long drive where we had several chances to get off the field. On one particular 3rd down (I believe it was 3rd and 9 or 10), Simms scrambled and barely picked up the first down. I happened to notice AJ back pedaling and was slow to attack. This has to be very difficult for a defender who is in coverage to know exactly when to leave coverage and attack the scrambler. Go too soon, and he flips it over your head for a first down or more. Go too late, and we saw what happens. My question for those who remember is did it appear that he hesitated? Did he slip? Or was he just doing as he was coached? I was at the game and have not seen a replay. And I'm not bashing him. Just curious about what some of the football minds might think of that play

Since this is an AJ thread, I will ask this question. after we cut it to 27-17, Alabama went on that long drive where we had several chances to get off the field. On one particular 3rd down (I believe it was 3rd and 9 or 10), Simms scrambled and barely picked up the first down. I happened to notice AJ back pedaling and was slow to attack. This has to be very difficult for a defender who is in coverage to know exactly when to leave coverage and attack the scrambler. Go too soon, and he flips it over your head for a first down or more. Go too late, and we saw what happens. My question for those who remember is did it appear that he hesitated? Did he slip? Or was he just doing as he was coached? I was at the game and have not seen a replay. And I'm not bashing him. Just curious about what some of the football minds might think of that play

It would be difficult to tell without knowing what defense they were in. if he was in man coverage, he may have been keying off one of the backs. If he was in zone there may have been some clutter in his zone and it may have taken a second to see the scramble. Just curious...in a thread that is discussing the fact that AJ is about to become the 2nd leading tackler in UT history, why are you trying to bring up one single play out of one single game in which you a questioning his decision making skills? Again, a positive thread with the potential for being derailed. It is an OK question, just not in this thread.

It would be difficult to tell without knowing what defense they were in. if he was in man coverage, he may have been keying off one of the backs. If he was in zone there may have been some clutter in his zone and it may have taken a second to see the scramble. Just curious...in a thread that is discussing the fact that AJ is about to become the 2nd leading tackler in UT history, why are you trying to bring up one single play out of one single game in which you a questioning his decision making skills? Again, a positive thread with the potential for being derailed. It is an OK question, just not in this thread.

My bad. I was just using this thread because it was about AJ. I didn't want to ask it in one of the threads about when Dobbs should have been playing quarterback. I can't start my own thread and I didn't want to derail another one. Just trying to stay on topic. That's why I qualified it with I'm not bashing him. But I do appreciate your response to the question. And kudos to AJ for his place in vol history.

I had the same thought, but when I saw it on replay, he did hesitate, but from his angle he could not tell if Sims
was out of bounds, which would have been a penalty, and causing a first down if he launched to knock Sims out.

My bad. I was just using this thread because it was about AJ. I didn't want to ask it in one of the threads about when Dobbs should have been playing quarterback. I can't start my own thread and I didn't want to derail another one. Just trying to stay on topic. That's why I qualified it with I'm not bashing him. But I do appreciate your response to the question. And kudos to AJ for his place in vol history.

I did not mean any disrespect. There have been so many attempts at killing positive threads that I was acting accordingly. As I said, it is a good question, it just seemed out of place. I will look at the replays and see if I can see the play you are talking about to see what might be there.

VN Store

Back