While some are bashing CBJ....

Chilmonty

Obviously, ESPN HATES US!
For not putting Dobbs in sooner, many seem to be overlooking something obvious.

Dobbs has clearly been "Coached Up" between last season and this one!! :dance2:

He looks bigger, faster and more confidant, and none of this is an accident!! :rock:
Hell he even looked taller to me!!! :blink:

CBJ and co. please keep doing EXACTLY what you are doing, the wins are on their way!! :salute::salute:

ps. Preemptive FU to flamers! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 23 people

He not only looks bigger, faster and more confidant, hell he even looked taller to me, and that is no accident!! :rock:

CBJ and co. please keep doing EXACTLY what you are doing, the wins are on their way!! :salute::salute:

wait a minute.....I like this staff, but.....are we to believe they are so good that they can make our players taller?

Reactions: 3 people
He still needs work on his accuracy. Inaccuracy can lead to mistakes. When the season started, Worley probably was the clear best choice... that was 30 sacks and many, many hits ago. To me, Worley didn't look like the same player in the last two games he played. He looked gun shy.

FWIW, we see some patterns with Jones that may pay dividends at some point but he is stubbornly devoted to a few things. One is that he favors those who make fewer mistakes over those who are more capable playmakers. We've seen that all year long on the OL. I think there was an element of that with his hesitations on Dobbs.

i'll tell you what was overlooked that was obvious. his completion percentage from last year even though wr's were injured and his spring game performance. i also really believe we were lied to about how he was doing in practice. you just don't go out there and perform like that overnight!

Reactions: 1 person
There are many that say that BJ was redshirting Dobbs because of his amazing potential, and was willing to take some losses with Worley in order preserve that extra year for Dobbs. I'm still puzzled by this. Butch knows more than anyone how desperate this fan base is for a bowl, and with our schedule, the pressure to win has never been greater. So why save Dobbs? I just don't get Butch's decision on this.

He still needs work on his accuracy. Inaccuracy can lead to mistakes. When the season started, Worley probably was the clear best choice... that was 30 sacks and many, many hits ago. To me, Worley didn't look like the same player in the last two games he played. He looked gun shy.

FWIW, we see some patterns with Jones that may pay dividends at some point but he is stubbornly devoted to a few things. One is that he favors those who make fewer mistakes over those who are more capable playmakers. We've seen that all year long on the OL. I think there was an element of that with his hesitations on Dobbs.

Good point. Worley can run about as well as Dobbs can pass.........at the moment. If Dobbs gets more reps with the ones, he may improve on his accuracy and become a good QB.

There are many that say that BJ was redshirting Dobbs because of his amazing potential, and was willing to take some losses with Worley in order preserve that extra year for Dobbs. I'm still puzzled by this. Butch knows more than anyone how desperate this fan base is for a bowl, and with our schedule, the pressure to win has never been greater. So why save Dobbs? I just don't get Butch's decision on this.

The obvious answer is Dobb's has improved and our alternatives deteriorated. I'm in agreement with sjt also that what Butch prefers in his starters may not match what we might prefer. Also per Sparty Butch promised his parents. That is 3 easily understood reasons we got where we are.

i'll tell you what was overlooked that was obvious. his completion percentage from last year even though wr's were injured and his spring game performance. i also really believe we were lied to about how he was doing in practice. you just don't go out there and perform like that overnight!

Why would they have lied? Every single report said he was not doing well in practice. Some people get better or are able to just turn it on when the lights come on. Do you really believe we were lied to because he is black?

I don't think we were lied to. He gained 30 lbs of muscle over the off-season. I think they were hoping to give him a RS so he could re-learn his body and know his new strength. So his accuracy issues though probably a tad overblown... were real.

But 2 full months of drills and reps can do wonders for that.... it is likely he got much better. They probably still hoped to preserve a year of eligibility for him but it didn't work out when Worley went down.

If they had a lot of faith in Peterman then they would have never considered pulling Dobbs' RS unless NP was injured too.

Reactions: 2 people

I think people are retroactively applying the results of the Bama game to the Florida game and are frustrated with what could have been. This isn't fair and frankly, no one on here would have started Dobbs instead of Worley agaisnt Florida after his game at Georgia the week prior.

Earlier this year, people were declaring the season lost if Worley were to get hurt. Now, everyone is annoiting Dobbs as the savior. I think we do have a great shot at at least getting 6 wins if not 7 if Dobbs is able to sustain the momentum he gained from the Bama game.

The obvious answer is Dobb's has improved and our alternatives deteriorated. I'm in agreement with sjt also that what Butch prefers in his starters may not match what we might prefer. Also per Sparty Butch promised his parents. That is 3 easily understood reasons we got where we are.

Keeping the answer to our offensive woes on the bench because of a promise to parents? If true, that's poor judgement imo.

This coaching staff has made some bonehead moves this year. Most recently in the Bama game when they went to cover A. Cooper with a zone that was a new twist that the team failed to execute well. Left him wide open way too often. Result: 27-0 deficit and a career game for Cooper in terms of passing yards. Bad coaching decision.

This staff needs to show it can coach a top teir SEC team; they haven't done it yet in 1 1/2 years.

Last edited:
Good point. Worley can run about as well as Dobbs can pass.........at the moment. If Dobbs gets more reps with the ones, he may improve on his accuracy and become a good QB.

He didn't make that many bad throws and his completion rate was 58% vs one of the best D's in the country... behind an OL that we know isn't very good at pass protection.

He led UT's O that had been foundering to 353 yds in 3 1/2 qtrs against a D that avg's allowing 277 ypg. He led the Vols to 20 pts against a D that avg's allowing 14.

Bama's pass D allows 199 ypg on avg with a 55% completion rate. Dobbs had 192 at 58% coming off the bench for his first game action of the year. To me, that's pretty impressive.

He had the 3rd highest QBR Bama has allowed behind WVU's Trickett (currently the #6 passer in CFB) and Bo Wallace and Ole Miss. WVU was the first game of the year when Bama in many ways was still sorting things out.

You can look at Dobbs' performance in a lot of different ways... and statistically speaking... they're almost all positive.

Reminder: He will face one of the SEC's worst D's this weekend as opposed to one of the best last week. I'm interested to see how his passing looks against a more manageable opposing D.

Don't you think that part of Dobbs' success Sat night was due to the fact that bama was not ready for him? I hope he continues to improve but it will be more demanding now that there is some film on him for USC to review.

That being said, the Oline seemed to really perk up with Dobbs in the mix. Maybe a part leadership and a part defense having to respect a true running QB.

Don't you think that part of Dobbs' success Sat night was due to the fact that bama was not ready for him? I hope he continues to improve but it will be more demanding now that there is some film on him for USC to review.

That being said, the Oline seemed to really perk up with Dobbs in the mix. Maybe a part leadership and a part defense having to respect a true running QB.

It could be but Jones announced fairly early in the week that if Worley couldn't go that both NP and JD would play.

The biggest key is that his running keeps defenders more "honest" making them easier for this OL to get angles on.

He looks bigger, faster and more confidant, and none of this is an accident!! :rock:
Hell he even looked taller to me!!! :blink:

They wanted to redshirt him for next year. I truly believe at the beginning of the season Worley was the best option. If Worley had not been hurt, he'd STILL be the starter IMO. Dobbs played Saturday purely out of necessity. I also believe his development has come a long way since fall camp. People who are blaming Coach Jones for not starting Dobbs at the beginning of the season simply have no clue. When you break it all down, we're all just a bunch of wind bags with a keyboard! :)

My guess is Dobbs hasn't made the best impressions during practice. Coaches see these guys every day and whether we like it or not.....they know more about the game and what their players abilities are than we do.

So silly.

I listened to Swain this morning and he has been personally watching practices as a former player since spring practice. FWIW, his take is that Dobbs was clearly not ready during the spring, in fall camp or the beginning of the season to unseat Worley. He said it wasn't even close. Now many of us armchair QBs can voice our opinions based on our limited access to the team, but that is what he said. Now, however, he believes that Dobbs has progressed to the point to where he is now the man. I know it is hard for some of you, but maybe we give the coaching staff a little credit for developing Dobbs into a better player.

"Despite the progression of all of his quarterbacks, Jones simply hasn't found the man he believes is a confident, alpha-dog leader—or as he stated to the Chattanooga Times Free Press' Patrick Brown, someone with a "genuine swagger"—so he hasn't named a starter" (April 20 2014, BR).

Honestly, I thought we witnessed significant swagger from Dobbs in the Spring game, which is reasonable cause for any to wonder just why Dobbs remained on sidelines games 1-7. Moving forward.

VN Store

Back