Could the conspiracy theorists be right?

AshG

Easy target
I had this little gem come into my inbox earlier tonight:

Mike Pereira criticizes SEC officiating, calls for investigation by Mike Slive and Rogers Redding

I've not bought into the conspiracy theorists out there who claim that the refs are instructed to preserve certain teams, but given the number of suspect calls this year for multiple teams in the conference there does need to be an external review and, if necessary, investigation.

I've a friend who officiates for the ACC. He says that the consensus among conference officiating crews is that SEC refs are a joke. I asked him point blank if he thought they were crooked and he declined to answer.

I look forward to seeing where this conversation goes.

Reactions: 7 people
All I know is CBJ was decidedly NOT happy about the officiating last night. Given the Alabama late substitutions that happened several times last night beginning with the first play from scrimage, it does make one wonder.

Reactions: 4 people
Mike Pereira is probably one of the most qualified people to speak on how the SEC refs have performed thus far. SEC needs to just buck up and admit these crews are doing a bad job.

How could you ever prove an accusation like that, though? It isn't like they are gonna man up and confess. And speaking of manning up/ man upping, how come we don't have any female referees?

Reactions: 3 people
I had this little gem come into my inbox earlier tonight:

Mike Pereira criticizes SEC officiating, calls for investigation by Mike Slive and Rogers Redding

I've not bought into the conspiracy theorists out there who claim that the refs are instructed to preserve certain teams, but given the number of suspect calls this year for multiple teams in the conference there does need to be an external review and, if necessary, investigation.

I've a friend who officiates for the ACC. He says that the consensus among conference officiating crews is that SEC refs are a joke. I asked him point blank if he thought they were crooked and he declined to answer.

I look forward to seeing where this conversation goes.

Wait, you mean like when the refs gave Florida two field goals/point afters clearly after the time ran out on two different games including our own?

Reactions: 15 people
Wait, you mean like when the refs gave Florida two field goals/point afters clearly after the time ran out on two different games including our own?

Seems like as good a place as any to start.

Whats even funnier is the fact that this morning the Detroit Lions snapped the ball at 0 and the NFL refs called delay of game when you could see that the LS got the ball off as the clock hit 0, so that bull about oh Florida snapped the ball as the clock hit zero so technically they got the ball off in time and the field goal is good. Yea... about that...

This is a damn serious charge, if true it needs to be stomped on, everyone with any part, or knowledge (and did not speak up) must go, immediately without any compensation whatsoever. This would include any and all on any coaching staff. Again, if true.
On the other hand, this is a damn serious charge, and one that should not be thrown around without Substantial proof, not gut feelings, or they made a couple bad calls etc. This type of charge will reflect on All Schools in the SEC. If there is enough proof to warrant an investigation, I hope UT backs the investigation, to insure a clean program, and, cooperates 110%-thus demonstrating to all, we have a clean program.
Any school not cooperating, or obfuscating in anyway should be denied bowl attendance for a period of at least 5 years, without exception.
A rumor like this can really harm the entire conference-the strongest measures should be taken to either disprove everybit of it, or drop the hammer on it, without mercy.

I have no doubt they want Alabama or another SEC team in the playoffs and the refs are probably trying to help them, but I can't see anything ever coming of it unless you had enough coaches banding together and making public statements.

Reactions: 1 person
How could you ever prove an accusation like that, though? It isn't like they are gonna man up and confess. And speaking of manning up/ man upping, how come we don't have any female referees?

Very difficult to prove, but the mere accusation by a credible, unbiased expert may cause them to stop.

Reactions: 5 people
The second drive of the game last night, Peterman handed to Hurd, Hurd ran for a first down by a yard easy right in front of ref on sideline. Ref moved the ball just short of first, killing the drive and forcing punt. I watched several times on ultra slow motion. I can't see anything justifying spotting that ball back from where he went down.

Reactions: 8 people
This shouldn't be hard to prove. The refs' headsets are closed circuit, just like the coaches'. So anyone talking to them thru their headsets would have to be in the stadium on a headset. The school should have a record of everyone in attendance last nite. How hard could it be to figure out who was in a box with a connection to the refs' headsets?

Anyone that watched the Penn State vs OSU clearly saw a fixed game. That was the most absurd officiating I've ever seen.

Reactions: 2 people
It really makes you wonder sometimes. I remember the Georgia game when the player called for a fair catch on the punt right in front of an official and they didn't call a penalty after he took off running. That was a very obvious call they they let go.

The second drive of the game last night, Peterman handed to Hurd, Hurd ran for a first down by a yard easy right in front of ref on sideline. Ref moved the ball just short of first, killing the drive and forcing punt. I watched several times on ultra slow motion. I can't see anything justifying spotting that ball back from where he went down.

Exactly! He was 1/2 yd past. Players on both teams were lining up when the refs said 4th down. That was a huge 1st down early.

Whatever happened to every play is reviewed upstairs? No play stoppage. Nothing. That was dead wrong.

Reactions: 5 people
This shouldn't be hard to prove. The refs' headsets are closed circuit, just like the coaches'. So anyone talking to them thru their headsets would have to be in the stadium on a headset. The school should have a record of everyone in attendance last nite. How hard could it be to figure out who was in a box with a connection to the refs' headsets?

How easy can it be to notice a play clock at zero when a UF kicker kicks the game winning FG?

The SEC officiating has been beyond terrible this season. They have gift wrapped 2 wins for UF.

Reactions: 6 people
How easy can it be to notice a play clock at zero when a UF kicker kicks the game winning FG?

The SEC officiating has been beyond terrible this season. They have gift wrapped 2 wins for UF.

In fairness the UK one was so close that the ref probably was looking at ball, looked at clock and saw 0, then by the time he looked right back down it was just snapped about qb almost had it.

Reactions: 2 people
In fairness the UK one was so close that the ref probably was looking at ball, looked at clock and saw 0, then by the time he looked right back down it was just snapped about qb almost had it.

Doesn't matter. You guys got screwed in that game. And when it's that important, the refs should not have missed a simple call like that.

Auburn ha two players with the same number on the last play against USCe

Ridiculous refereeing , that would have been a 10 yd penalty with time restored on the clock. And USCe given another shot.

Now that bama is back in the title hunt, saban has a secret offering big $$$ to officals during the game via headset. i mean what else does saban do with his millions? he could use it for good and help poor folk and donate to charity, but i bet he spends it on little gnomes that look just like him and kiffin for his garden.

VN Store

Back