Examining the stats:

LibertyVolance

In 2 previous games against sec opponents, our rushing stats were abysmal and our TDs were ZERO.

Against Fla: Total net yds rushing: 28
Against OM: Total net yds rushing: 00

Now compare those stats to last night.

Against Bama: Total net yds rushing: 181

Now I would ask you to consider what might have had the greatest influence on the drastic reversal of not only net rush yardage, but also scoring 2 TDs and almost recording a 3rd. It doesn't require a huge amount of imagination. Yes, maybe Worley is a more accurate passer and undoubtedly the most experienced QB. But, you cannot ignore the statistics that indicate that Dobbs can more effectively operate this offense and provide that added run/pass dual threat that provided a balanced attack and put points on the scoreboard. Can you?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
In 2 previous games against sec opponents, our rushing stats were abysmal and our TDs were ZERO.

Against Fla: Total net yds rushing: 28
Against OM: Total net yds rushing: 00

Now compare those stats to last night.

Against Bama: Total net yds rushing: 181

Now I would ask you to consider what might have had the greatest influence on the drastic reversal of not only net rush yardage, but also scoring 2 TDs and almost recording a 3rd. It doesn't require a huge amount of imagination. Yes, maybe Worley is a more accurate passer and undoubtedly the most experienced QB. But, you cannot ignore the statistics that indicate that Dobbs can more effectively operate this offense and provide that added run/pass dual threat that provided a balanced attack and put points on the scoreboard. Can you?
Sounds good to me!

Dobbs is definitely more of a running threat. That said, those stats also hide a bit. The sacks on Worley were normally taking away 40 - 60 yards in rushing per game (since sacks counts towards rushing totals in college). In reality, I think we had about 50 rushing yds against Ole Miss (still dismal) once you exclude the sacks.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that Worley worked better with our 2013 team and Dobbs might be better with the 2014 team. The O-line difficulties are fatal for a pocket passer-type QB. Dobbs is able to scramble a bit and help out the O-line. However, I do think Worley would be the better option if we had a stronger O-line (like we did in '13).

Reactions: 2 people
Who is Dobbs??? Thought Peterman was the answer???
ed

Until gametime last night, I might have thought so too. I had insisted all along that Worley was our best choice for winning.

I watched the game. I immediately noticed the syncronicity that was present. I examined the postgame stats. I drew another conclusion.

Dobbs is definitely more of a running threat. That said, those stats also hide a bit. The sacks on Worley were normally taking away 40 - 60 yards in rushing per game (since sacks counts towards rushing totals in college). In reality, I think we had about 50 rushing yds against Ole Miss (still dismal) once you exclude the sacks.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that Worley worked better with our 2013 team and Dobbs might be better with the 2014 team. The O-line difficulties are fatal for a pocket passer-type QB. Dobbs is able to scramble a bit and help out the O-line. However, I do think Worley would be the better option if we had a stronger O-line (like we did in '13).

I think you hit the nail on the head.Worley would have
sacked at least 5 times.

Those stats that you indicate are hidden are directly relative to the mobility of Dobbs and the fact that he was able to avoid those negative sacks and thus, negative yardage.

Not only was Dobbs able to avoid those negative yardage stats, but the threat of him keeping the ball himself also aided RBs Hurd and Lane to avoid negative yardage, imo. His threat to run neutralized much of the backfield pressure which invited not only numerous sacks, but many tackles in the backfield of Hurd. We had run an option that excluded the QB from doing more than passing or handing off to Hurd.

If Dobbs isn't in there presenting Bama's defense with a preoccupation of Dobbs keeping and running, then Hurd probably doesn't have a chance of getting his 60 yds and Lane getting his 48. Moreover, Dobbs doesn't get his 100 yds rushing if he doesn't play. Nor do we have a balanced attack that provided 21 first downs against a tough Bama defense.

Reactions: 1 person
Bama didn't gameplan for Dobbs. They didn't know who our QB would be for the game. That's one reason we were so proficient running the ball.

Reactions: 3 people
Bama didn't gameplan for Dobbs. They didn't know who our QB would be for the game. That's one reason we were so proficient running the ball.
I hope you are being sarcastic. If not maybe you should look at some of the pretty good offenses that have dual threat quarterbacks in the west. Not to mention Nick Saban doesn't strike as someone to not be prepared. They were ready for Dobbs. The kid just did a good job lastnight.

Reactions: 3 people

Alabama has a history of struggling vs a mobile QB. Our offense wasn't the issue last night it was the Amari Cooper show that we all had a front row seat for. After Tennessee's D settled down they played pretty good just couldn't get stops on 3rd down

Alabama has a history of struggling vs a mobile QB. Our offense wasn't the issue last night it was the Amari Cooper show that we all had a front row seat for. After Tennessee's D settled down they played pretty good just couldn't get stops on 3rd down

I have to be honest, when you say, "..they played pretty good", but went on to say they just couldn't get stops on 3rd down, that seems like you're saying they didn't play pretty good. Playing "pretty good" to me, means getting stops on 3rd down, no sacks, no interceptions, no fumble recovery, no forced fumbles, but stops on 3rd down. Real good starts to include some of my list.
If our D isn't stopping 3rd down conversions, they are not playing "pretty good", in fact, they aren't playing like UT Vols!

ed

Until gametime last night, I might have thought so too. I had insisted all along that Worley was our best choice for winning.

I watched the game. I immediately noticed the syncronicity that was present. I examined the postgame stats. I drew another conclusion.
i agree. question.....do u think the day of the stand in pocket qb is done in knoxville? with jennings coming in next yr its a thought.

i agree. question.....do u think the day of the stand in pocket qb is done in knoxville? with jennings coming in next yr its a thought.

I hope so, especially with our current offensive system. The mobility of Dobbs opened up the running game for us for the first time this year and gave us a balanced attack.

Absent a talented offensive line, I don't see any pocket stationary QB being successful. Added to that, a one dimensional team in this conference isn't going to be successful either.

It's amazing how many people on here still refuse to give Dobbs the props he deserves.

All credit to Dobbs for sure because Bajakian and this oline are lost as hell without a DT QB. We better keep a steady stream coming in.

It's amazing how many people on here still refuse to give Dobbs the props he deserves.

It's not about that. It about measured expectation. It's about recognizing what made some plays a success on Saturday, and why others failed. I'm equally amazed at how quickly some of our fans are to declare the rest of the season as ours for the taking after Saturday.

Having said that, I sincerely hope Dobbs only continues to get better game-by-game. But, I'm waiting to see what happens next weekend before I'll start leaning one way or the other. There are too many pieces to the "offensive puzzle" to allow me to hang my hat on a QB change being the saving grace for this season.

I was really impressed by UT's offensive line play. It wasn't amazing by any stretch, but once Dobbs entered the game, they seemed to get a spark. I think having someone back there who could bail them out if they didn't make the play gave them a sense of security, and as such, they played with more confidence.

Here are some stats to examine:

Tennessee basketball has had 10 consecutive seasons with a higher win % than Vol football. Are we a basketball school now? Cause I can guarantee you that even though we won't make the NCAA tourney this year, we will be above .500. So make that 11 years. Wow. Facts are facts: we are a basketball school!

#donnieknoxville

Here are some stats to examine:

Tennessee basketball has had 10 consecutive seasons with a higher win % than Vol football. Are we a basketball school now? Cause I can guarantee you that even though we won't make the NCAA tourney this year, we will be above .500. So make that 11 years. Wow. Facts are facts: we are a basketball school!

#donnieknoxville

I think not. Isn't UT picked to finish last in the SEC this year?

VN Store

Back