South Carolina's offensive line.

holtridge

Hello. Good afternoon. How does South Carolina's offensive line compare to the other offensive lines we've faced this season?

Hello. Good afternoon. How does South Carolina's offensive line compare to the other offensive lines we've faced this season?

Have a good left side of the line and have heard there center struggles some along with RT. Overall a good unit but not elite.

If we play the same game we played last night, while not giving them a first quarter head start, we'll kill USCe.

Reactions: 2 people
Their line was thought to be much better than they have been and the center they played last night is awful. I can remember several instances last night where he snapped the ball and it basically slid across the ground to the qb.

IMO, they are pretty good, but kinda schizo.
If they get a good push and get Davis going, Spurrier will ride that like a horse.

To me though, the big deal is pressure on their QB. He's good, but under pressure he will throw some picks. Kind of reminds me of a nicer, more pleasant, Jay Cutler.

Reactions: 1 person
Our center had a bad game against Auburn but has been solid every other game. Deff played big time vs Georgia. We should get our starter Mike Matulis back this week which will deff make our line more solid than it has been all year. He got hurt the first week of fall practice. We're excited to get him back on the field. The left side of our line is our strong side with Corey Robinson and AJ Cann anchoring that side of the field. We absolutely destroyed Georgia rushing the left side. One of the few times Spurrier stuck to the run all year. What's your take on slowing down Davis?

Our center had a bad game against Auburn but has been solid every other game. Deff played big time vs Georgia. We should get our starter Mike Matulis back this week which will deff make our line more solid than it has been all year. He got hurt the first week of fall practice. We're excited to get him back on the field. The left side of our line is our strong side with Corey Robinson and AJ Cann anchoring that side of the field. We absolutely destroyed Georgia rushing the left side. One of the few times Spurrier stuck to the run all year. What's your take on slowing down Davis?

Probably won't be able to slow down Davis till late in the game. By then it may be too late though.

Trust me lol. You guys will most definitely be in the game if not winning unless our defense that showed up against Missouri for 3 quarter's shows up. That has as much chance of happening as me winning the lottery tomorrow night.

Trust me lol. You guys will most definitely be in the game if not winning unless our defense that showed up against Missouri for 3 quarter's shows up. That has as much chance of happening as me winning the lottery tomorrow night.

Lol. Well we will just have to wait and see come Saturday night.

USC's OL as was stated above is strongest on the left side, which is where most OLs need to be strongest. USC has had some issues at center and in the interior: their pre-season projected RG (Mike Matulis) has been injured most of the season, and was expected to see some snaps last week versus Auburn but was held out. Word is he's going to play and perhaps even start, but we'll see how that goes...

At Center, USC has been rotating some younger players for the last 2 seasons: Cody Waldrop was slated to start there last season as a RS-Fr., but dealt with injuries and was replaced by the #2 back-up, RS-Fr. Clayton Stadnick. This season Waldrop continued to struggle coming into the season, and RS-Fr. Alan Knott has been starting as much if not more than anyone else. Waldrop was shifted over to RG after Matulis went down, and continues to struggle there.

Reportedly, Knott was experiencing cramping in his hands towards the end of the game last week, which was the reason for his grounders to Thompson...

USC is currently tied for 3rd in the SEC with 35 tackles for loss allowed, and 6th in sacks allowed with 13. IMO, a number of those sacks have been due more to Thompson back-peddling as hard as he can when pressure advances, holding onto the ball until he's fairly sure he's lost enough yardage, and then he lets the rushers sack him. Anyone who's watched entire games with Thompson in command will know what I'm talking about: he has a huge issue with this, and doesn't look to correct the issue until just after the season has ended, so USC will have to live with it.

Tennessee by comparison is ranked 14th in the SEC in TFL allowed with 67, and 14th in sacks allowed with 32. The only saving grace here is, USC is dead last in the SEC in both TFL and QB sacks produced by it's defense, so it may all cancel each other out: the movable object versus the resistible force....

"IMO, a number of those sacks have been due more to Thompson back-peddling as hard as he can when pressure advances, holding onto the ball until he's fairly sure he's lost enough yardage, and then he lets the rushers sack him"

Ok ...I laughed

If we can contain Alabama's run game then we will be fine against Davis. I'm more worried about Thompson having another big game. He is gonna get his yards but hopefully he continues throwing 3 int's a game as he has done lately. If it was a home game for UT I would feel good about it. But playing at SCe, where we havient won our last three trips I think concerns me and don't feel good about UT winning. Not like we have played well on the road outside of GA, who we always play close.

VN Store

Back