Why do visiting teams get such good seats?

jps2194

Vol for Life
Why do we continually give our opponents such good seats. Last night, there was a huge bama section right at mid field in addition to the normal visiting section around the 20 yard line. It's pretty embarrassing when they show a front row fan section on TV and it's the opposing team's fans. :thud:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't notice this situation at other SEC schools. Spread them out or move them up. We've had games where our offense has a hard time hearing signals in their own stadium. Ridiculous.

Reactions: 4 people
Why do we continually give our opponents such good seats. Last night, there was a huge bama section right at mid field in addition to the normal visiting section around the 20 yard line. It's pretty embarrassing when they show a front row fan section on TV and it's the opposing team's fans. :thud:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't notice this situation at other SEC schools. Spread them out or move them up. We've had games where our offense has a hard time hearing signals in their own stadium. Ridiculous.

I thinks it's to "protect" the visiting team from the home crowd.

Not to state the obvious, but once we start winning again the red-team supporters will start looking more concentrated into very specific sections. Right now, there are still a lot of Vol fans selling their tickets to games like these.

Before someone complains about my statement regarding the selling of tickets, I think they are your tickets and you have every right to do as you wish with them. I'm just reporting that there were a fair amount of seats, which are normally orange, that turned crimson last night.

Reactions: 3 people
Our "fans" are willing to give up their seats to the Al
fans for big money. Ridiculous imo

I agree with the OP. We should put visiting fans in the nosebleed sections and leave those seats for TN fans. You can't have the students directly behind the opposing team, but other home fans are fine.

Our "fans" are willing to give up their seats to the Al
fans for big money. Ridiculous imo

Some season ticket holders always sell to the enemy plus look at the ticket forum..no wonder so much ugly red in our stadium. We'd rather burn our tickets as to let an enemy have them. I understand they can do with them as they want but selling to the enemy is the worst!

Reactions: 2 people
As someone who has gone to a lot of away games with tickets purchased through the University, I have said the same thing in the past. Visiting teams would get a good large section from us then we would go to Athens or Gainesville and I would sitting in either the last row or the front row with a few other fans.

I will tell you however, UT has changed the visiting team seating considerably in the last 20 years or so.

Keep in mind, opposing SEC teams like AL are getting 9,000 to 10,000 seats, that is 10 percent of the seats.

As I remember, in the 70's and 80's, the visiting team would get most of section A, AA, and Z16. In the 90's, though nothing was ever announced by the University, opposing teams started getting spread out.

Last night was way different than it used to be.

As someone who has gone to a lot of away games with tickets purchased through the University, I have said the same thing in the past. Visiting teams would get a good large section from us then we would go to Athens or Gainesville and I would sitting in either the last row or the front row with a few other fans.

I will tell you however, UT has changed the visiting team seating considerably in the last 20 years or so.

Keep in mind, opposing SEC teams like AL are getting 9,000 to 10,000 seats, that is 10 percent of the seats.

As I remember, in the 70's and 80's, the visiting team would get most of section A, AA, and Z16. In the 90's, though nothing was ever announced by the University, opposing teams started getting spread out.

Last night was way different than it used to be.
Agreed. This is more than UT fans giving up their seats. You would not get that many opposing fans together if it were just us giving up our seats.

The vast majority of the away teams allotment is in the upper half of the upper deck in the south endzone. Pretty much every SEC stadium has a section of away seating close to the field.

Because Tennessee fans sell their tickets to them. In addition, visitors get a block of tickets in the Northeast corner of the stadium from the Athletic Department plus the public can buy any tickets not already sold.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm opposed to selling only "poor" seats to the opposition, we should be leaders not followers. We should demand 10% of the good seats in Away games. It's very good for Tennessee, UT, and the SEC to have people travel to Knoxville to see a game. If all they can get are crappy seats, we may not have as many. When you travel, don't you want, at least, a good seat, maybe not the best seat in house, but a good seat? We should treat our guests, in the same manner as we expect to be treated, it's good for TN.

I'm opposed to selling only "poor" seats to the opposition, we should be leaders not followers. We should demand 10% of the good seats in Away games. It's very good for Tennessee, UT, and the SEC to have people travel to Knoxville to see a game. If all they can get are crappy seats, we may not have as many. When you travel, don't you want, at least, a good seat, maybe not the best seat in house, but a good seat? We should treat our guests, in the same manner as we expect to be treated, it's good for TN.

I would agree with you and I believe that is what TN did for decades. Eventually though when others don't reciprocate, you gotta say; what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

I'd rather be able to point to TN as the class act among the group. Leadership by example. Just because others want show the world they don't know the meaning of Southern Hospitality, is no reason for us to stoop to their level. I know for a fact, people from other state that only travel to one game a year (fans of other teams), and their destination is Knoxville. Is it just the good seating? No, but it adds to the entire experience. Win, lose or draw, TN comes out ahead-they all spend that out-of-state money here, and they keep coming back!:whistling:

Last edited:
Because Tennessee fans sell their tickets to them. In addition, visitors get a block of tickets in the Northeast corner of the stadium from the Athletic Department plus the public can buy any tickets not already sold.

That's not quite right.

IIRC, They also get blocks in A, AA, and the first few rows behind their bench (which I think is a conference requirement).

Some season ticket holders always sell to the enemy plus look at the ticket forum..no wonder so much ugly red in our stadium. We'd rather burn our tickets as to let an enemy have them. I understand they can do with them as they want but selling to the enemy is the worst!

If some dumb redneck is going to pay you $500 for a pair, like many were posting in the ticket forum, then you're a fool not to take it. I'm a UT fan but I'm also a business man and $500 pays for several games worth of season tickets.

UT has a soft fan base that would rather sell the tickets, make a profit, and watch the game at home on TV. You do not see as much of that at any other SEC school. You can talk about the greatest fans in the country all you want but I think it is hysterical. UT fans also are great at emptying Neyland before the middle of the 4th quarter. If I were another SEC school I would show videos of Neyland to recruits and laugh about it.

A lot of tickets were sold by UT fans last night. There were too many bama fans.

What is sad is there was a guy that had a Bama tent set up on Cumberland Ave. selling Bama gear (with a little UT gear sprinkled in).

UT has a soft fan base that would rather sell the tickets, make a profit, and watch the game at home on TV. You do not see as much of that at any other SEC school. You can talk about the greatest fans in the country all you want but I think it is hysterical. UT fans also are great at emptying Neyland before the middle of the 4th quarter. If I were another SEC school I would show videos of Neyland to recruits and laugh about it.

Did you even watch the Ole Miss game?

TN fans were everywhere.

Did you even watch the Ole Miss game?

TN fans were everywhere.

I also sat on the East sideline last night with more Bama fans than UT fans around me. Bama owns Neyland when they come here. We are essentially playing an away and neutral site with Bama.

It didn't use to be that way and not sure when our fans started the early exodus I've been to close to 100 games and I left 2 early -- one was the Orange and White game so I hardly count it but it was so cold. The other was the Florida game this year and we moved from the top row of the upper deck and watched the last interception from the door at the exit gate -- only reason was a prior obligation that there was no way to get out of -- win or lose or overtime we had to beat the crowd (though I did contemplate out loud about what would happen if I stayed behind and lets just say I made the right choice). We did explain to the fans around us and at least they understood

UT fans weren't buying tickets. I had at least a dozen UT fans give me their sob story as to why I should sell them my extras at face value or less. It was embarrassing. The whole "We are Tennessee" goes flying out the window quickly once money gets envolved. Honestly it was nice to sit around fans that weren't complaining about our home team the entire game for a change. Handle the truth guys but UT fans are clearly not willing to pay to see this team grow. Definition of fair weather fans if you want my honest opinion.

UT fans weren't buying tickets. I had at least a dozen UT fans give me their sob story as to why I should sell them my extras at face value or less. It was embarrassing. The whole "We are Tennessee" goes flying out the window quickly once money gets envolved. Honestly it was nice to sit around fans that weren't complaining about our home team the entire game for a change. Handle the truth guys but UT fans are clearly not willing to pay to see this team grow. Definition of fair weather fans if you want my honest opinion.

Agreed. Disagree with the "nice to sit around fans that weren't complaining..." part. I sat with 10 bama and 2 georgia fans around me. It was not fun.

VN Store

Back