after post game interviews

joevol33

1st official VN BB bracket winner
VN Pick Champion
These kids want to win more than we want them to win. You could tell they were glad of improved play, but angry about losing. One reporter asked Hurd what they thought when getting thumped in the 1st qtr, he replied they knew it wasn't them and they were not going down that way. We ate not where we want to be, and neither are they. Live their fight and attitude.

Reactions: 1 person
I have one problem with Butchs interview. Why will he jot name a starting QB? I don't get it. I have always hated the whoever has the best practice will play mantra. That is not going to cut it.

Does anyone else agree? Or am I just being nuts? I am not a coach, but why wouldn't Dobbs clearly earn the starting job after tonight's game?

Reactions: 5 people
I have one problem with Butchs interview. Why will he jot name a starting QB? I don't get it. I have always hated the whoever has the best practice will play mantra. That is not going to cut it.

Does anyone else agree? Or am I just being nuts? I am not a coach, but why wouldn't Dobbs clearly earn the starting job after tonight's game?

I've not been one to question coaches, but I agree with you completely on this.

That's what I was thinking. I'm no coach, but IMO the only reason he was 3rd string was bc of him redshirting and that's gone so we all know he has moved to 2nd string now.

I love JW and would want him to finish his senior year out, but I also want to win games. Stat wise Dobbs is better overall with what we have. JW has a better arm IMO, but JD has a set of legs and will run the ball.

In short I can see us going to a bowl with JD a bit more than JW.

Has for not naming a starter, my guess would be he is trying to keep the upcoming teams guessing.

Reactions: 2 people

I can understand it, why help your opponent prepare? Though I confess, if I'm Spurrier I'm preparing for Dobbs and what he can do in the run game and I ain't worried about Peterman.

That's what I was thinking. I'm no coach, but IMO the only reason he was 3rd string was bc of him redshirting and that's gone so we all know he has moved to 2nd string now.

I love JW and would want him to finish his senior year out, but I also want to win games. Stat wise Dobbs is better overall with what we have. JW has a better arm IMO, but JD has a set of legs and will run the ball.

In short I can see us going to a bowl with JD a bit more than JW.

Has for not naming a starter, my guess would be he is trying to keep the upcoming teams guessing.

You really think Worley has a better arm?

Reactions: 4 people
If you listen to Butch's press conference he goes on a couple different times about what Josh brings to the table.

At this point he's avoiding naming the starter right away(to the media at least) out of respect for Justin and Nathan and to make it a little more difficult on South Carolina.

Reactions: 4 people
Don't worry Dobbs is the starter. If he plays like he did tonight against any of our remaining opponents we will win. He will not face another defense the remainder of the year the caliber of the one he faced tonight.

Let's say Jones wants to start Dobbs next week after his performance tonight. Out of respect for Worley, he isn't going to announce to the world that Worley has basically lost his job before he can sit down with him privately.

Last edited:
I think Worley has Dobbs beat on accuracy and timing, but I also think that's in large part due to him having so many snaps with the first string. Dobbs will improve with more reps with the first string. Dobbs has the clear advantage in mobility, and unfortunately for Worley, there's nothing he can do to change that. Dobbs is the better choice to start because of his mobility. Jones offensive system works better with a mobile qb. The ability to escape the pocket and run with the ball also helps mask the weakness of the OL. Add that to the fact he's pretty much guaranteed to be next year's starter and it just makes sense to let him have the start. Game experience will only help him in the future.

At this point, imo, Dobbs gives us at least as much of a chance at making a bowl game as Worley. Worley simply cannot continue behind a line unable to protect him, and him being unable to run. It's just begging to get him seriously hurt. As much as it sucks for him, and I honestly feel for him given what he's gone through behind that line, now is the time to address the future, and that's Dobbs.

You do what's best for the team. Right now, Dobbs is what's best for the team.

Don't worry Dobbs is the starter. If he plays like he did tonight against any of our remaining opponents we will win. He will not face another defense the remainder of the year the caliber of the one he faced tonight.

KY's D looked awfully good yesterday. Their QB was also unbelievable. #1 escaped by the skin of their teeth.

it does not make a lot of sense. If Peterman got the next start vol nation would be in an uproar, and even though I believe in butch I would lead the charge.

Why do you need to know who will start. If I am an opposing coach, I would love to know who you are going to start. Easier for me to prepare for our game. Rest assured, someone will start and in all likely hood it will be the best of the bunch. Yes Dobbs should get the nod!

It will be dobbs, but why let usc know that?

Man that's just coach speak. He knows who the qb is hell spurrier knows who our qb is, coach talk that's all it is

For Butch it's just coach-speak for "everybody better be ready to play". That is all. :)

GO VOLS!

KY's D looked awfully good yesterday. Their QB was also unbelievable. #1 escaped by the skin of their teeth.

#1 is also overrated and played with hardly any passion. IMO, Kentucky was never close in this game despite the score.

You're nuts.

Waffling in public makes it harder for opposing defenses to scheme.

#1 is also overrated and played with hardly any passion. IMO, Kentucky was never close in this game despite the score.
I was at the KY game and high up in stands easy to see offensive schemes. Those Stoops boys know how to coach. The coaching staff may be the difference in our game. If you are only 1 touchdown down, it's a close game. The onside kick was tough blow for KY, could see it unfolding up high.
Most coaches keep the speak going with how well coached an opposing team is. In his post game presser, CBJ mentioned Bama's elite players, execution, but never gave credit to well-coached game. Probably because he gets the Bama rivalry and wouldn't give kudos and also because Kiffin made Vols look bad right off the start and is a better offensive mind than CBJ will ever be. CBJ complained to refs about late substitutions that prevented us from adapting our match-ups (and mentioned in presser). Hey, that's what good offenses do to disrupt the defense setting up early on their heels. Surely, in watching tape, this can't be CBJ's first time to see Bama do this. He's just miffed they did it so well to him.
Dobbs the probably starter but CBJ has to keep everyone prepared; never know with game injuries. CBJ is big on the "next in" as was his mentor, Brian Kelly. but, if "next" was that good, he would've have been "first". Dobbs hasn't done enough to show any predictable trend, but hopefully, when pressed out of pocket, his athletic traits take over and he can run. And, granted, with a young team, probably mid season fatigue; Div I lot faster, harder practice, games than high school. The lack of touchbacks/field position from Medley probably result of a bit of leg fatigue at this point in season.

I see Vandy as a probable win; they have more QB issues than we do; but, remaining teams can score points. If we can't start putting more up in red zone, always playing behind.

As a coach, you can't ignore practice performance. If you do, players will blow off practice... and practice is critical. That said, when you have a "gamer," you find a way to get them in there and then go with the hot hand.

As has been stated, you also don't announce a change without talking to the young men involved first.

IMO, the "keep opposing coaches guessing" only works when there is reason to think its true. I doubt OBC is fiddling with his visor trying to figure out who he will face.

VN Store

Back