We must steal possessions.

CA_Vol

During the stretch of tough SEC games and losses, Butch has been reluctant to try & steal possessions in some pretty key moments. During Oklahoma, Georgia, Florida & Mississippi, we either had a lead or were still close when confronted with 4th and short situations slightly into the opponents territory. On almost every occasion, we decided to put Darr out there and attempt to punt for field position with little success.

If we are to have a chance today, I think our defense is going to have to score, special teams will have to be perfect, & we're going to have to steal some possessions on the Bama's 40-45 yard line when confronted with 4th and short.

I understand his hesitancy to go for it in these situations early in the game when we are winning or close, but we cannot continue to playcall as if we are on par with these teams. We aren't. Not yet. So we need to take calculated chances to either maintain momentum or generate it.

What do we have to lose?

Last edited:
During the stretch of tough SEC games and losses, Butch has been reluctant to try & steal possessions in some pretty key moments. During Oklahoma, Georgia, Florida & Mississippi, we either had a lead or were still close when confronted with 4th and short situations slightly into the opponents territory. On almost every occasion we decided to put Darr out there and attempt to punt for field position with little success.

If we are to have a chance today, I think our defense is going to have to score, special teams will have to be perfect, & we're going to have to steal some possessions on the Bama's 40-45 yard line when confronted with 4th and short.

I understand his hesitancy to go for it in the situations early in the game when we are winning or close, but we cannot continue to playcall as if we are on par with these teams. We aren't. Not yet. So we need to take calculated chances to either maintain momentum or generate it.

Wha else do we have to lose?

Well with Tennessee players of old, stealing the possessions would require firearms

Steal possessions for what? Kick field goals all game?

Tennessee hasn't scored a touchdown in the last 2 SEC games...

What play are you going to call on 4th and short?

Every time we have gone for it this year the play was stuffed in the back field! Lack of confidence and playing field position game - hoping our D can make another stop has been the correct call instead of turning the ball over at mid-field. If we could block and gain a yard then by all means go for it. But our NFL line could not even get us a yard against Vandy last year -

What play are you going to call on 4th and short?

Every time we have gone for it this year the play was stuffed in the back field! Lack of confidence and playing field position game - hoping our D can make another stop has been the correct call instead of turning the ball over at mid-field. If we could block and gain a yard then by all means go for it. But our NFL line could not even get us a yard against Vandy last year -

I understand what you're saying, but we haven't gotten the stops, nor the wins. Malone or North on a quick slant sounds good.

Reactions: 1 person
Have we run a slant pattern all year? We need to try to hit the guys on the move like that instead of always screens and button hooks where the receiver is stationary (although the hooks isn't a bad play on 4th down as long they ran past the 1st down marker - and send one guy deep just to keep the safety honest)

At this point I'd be happy to see a wishbone formation - at least it would be a new wrinkle. Go student body left or something

Have we run a slant pattern all year? We need to try to hit the guys on the move like that instead of always screens and button hooks where the receiver is stationary (although the hooks isn't a bad play on 4th down as long they ran past the 1st down marker - and send one guy deep just to keep the safety honest)

At this point I'd be happy to see a wishbone formation - at least it would be a new wrinkle. Go student body left or something

I don't think we've thrown a quick slant all year & it's infuriating.

VN Store

Back