Would a victory over Bama

2001 beating of Florida. Seems like the gators were favored by 20+

This would be exponentially bigger. We were ranked #4 in the country going into that game. Plus I think it was a 17 point spread iirc.

To answer the question... I'm 30 so I can't really speak for anything earlier than the 90s but I can't recall anything that would even be close in my lifetime.

be the biggest upset in Vol history? Most of CFB outside of Bama is pulling for it.

1979 over Notre Dame and 1982 over Bama are the biggest upsets that I can remember.

1985 win over #1 Auburn was huge, but as it turned out the '85 Vols were very good.

It would be up there with the SugarVols.

Beating Bama would have one added benefit though. The Bama fans will have a field day calling into Finebaum and blaming Kiffin. It would be glorious.

Reactions: 2 people
I think it would rank right up there with the Vols upset over Miami in the 85 Sugar Bowl

What the hell are we fighting for.
Don't know and I don't give a damn,
Next game is Alabam...
And we're gonna win, win, WIN!!!

in my 33 year lifetime, this won't top the win from January 4, 1999. As far as upsets go, I don't think I could say it would be that either. This would be exciting though. Don't tease me either.

Last edited:
be the biggest upset in Vol history? Most of CFB outside of Bama is pulling for it.

:puke5:
Of all the low moments in the last 10 years, I think this is the worst for me. The idea of beating a team we play every year is now being considered the greatest upset in school history. This game use to mean everyone watching, all day tailgating or cookouts at home and your whole day revolved around it. Now it feels like we are going to a funeral.
:puke5::puke5::puke5:

Reactions: 4 people
I was one and a half in January 86 so I can't really argue too much with those of you who were around but... That Sugar Bowl was against 2 top 10 teams (#2 & #8). I don't see how it could possibly be a bigger upset than this would be.

Reactions: 1 person
:puke5:
Of all the low moments in the last 10 years, I think this is the worst for me. The idea of beating a team we play every year is now being considered the greatest upset in school history. This game use to mean everyone watching, all day tailgating or cookouts at home and your whole day revolved around it. Now it feels like we are going to a funeral.
:puke5::puke5::puke5:

Your opinion sucks IMO

Reactions: 2 people
I want to say the spread was bigger against Florida in 2001 and Miami the year we beat them.

From a program standpoint given where it stands, it would be a huge. Not title game huge but huge.

Absolutely. People can draw comparisons to upsets in the past but the fact is we had decent/great teams in the past. Were expected to get throttled by 40+ points; the team were playing is fighting for its chance at a national championship and we are fighting (a losing battle) for bowl eligibility - and we haven't been a .500+ team in 4 years. This would easily be the biggest upset in UT history

VN Store

Back