Will we try to change?

utvolkyle06

I don't often start threads, but I have not seen this mentioned, or maybe I missed it.

Since everyone knows our big weakness is our O Line which is out maned, out experienced etc. will our staff try something different? Like two tight ends for protection, or a full back for protection? I want to see some kind of innovative adjustment. We still may be just as bad on offense, but at least we tried something that might work better than keep doing something that we know does not work. I am no more knowledgable than the average fan, and certainly no coach, but I do know when something has been proving not to work, why keep doing it?
It's the coaching staff's job to figure this out and I will support them even if it does not work as long as it's something different.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I think we should run the entire offense like the swinging gate that people do on extra points. Except never swing the gate, just leave the offensive lineman way over on one side.

Reactions: 5 people
I could be wrong but I don't think there is a fullback on the team. Seems like they use a tight end to sorta play that role once in a while.

Two TE sets won't work because Helm sucks at blocking, Wolf can't stay healthy, and Downs is slower than a snail. The best course of action is to go to an offense like the Broncos play. We need to utilize the screen game, and wheel route some of our WRs on fake screens plays. We need to throw 3-7 yards slant, comeback, dig, post, and in routes down the middle of the field as well, that's assuming our WRs can gain seperation at the line. We also need to run the ball through the A gap on the left side as much as possible. We need to try to get some end-arounds or fly sweeps to PIG or Malone. I have always said that when you play guys in motion it makes the defense cover that man every time. Our offense sucks right now because we are having to keep a H-back or RB back every pass play and teams know it and don't cover those guys. That gives the defense one more person in coverage, and it's killing us.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't often start threads, but I have not seen this mentioned, or maybe I missed it.

Since everyone knows our big weakness is our O Line which is out maned, out experienced etc. will our staff try something different? Like two tight ends for protection, or a full back for protection? I want to see some kind of innovative adjustment. We still may be just as bad on offense, but at least we tried something that might work better than keep doing something that we know does not work. I am no more knowledgable than the average fan, and certainly no coach, but I do know when something has been proving not to work, why keep doing it?
It's the coaching staff's job to figure this out and I will support them even if it does not work as long as it's something different.

Our system is infallible.

There will be no changes. The staff will continue to stuff the square peg in the round hole to the tune of 40+ point beat down courtesy of Bama

Reactions: 3 people
They should use the tight end or perhaps create a 'fullback' position to hit the Defensive Ends at the snap, before moving into routes. This would slow down the pressure and give the tackles help gaining control.

I haven't seen anything from this staff that would ever lead me to believe that they would change a thing.

I have to agree Doyle. Some coaches are able and willing to adapt their schemes to fit the skill sets available. Others tend to pound the square peg into the round hole which appears to be what Butch and company are doing. I'm curious if it's from a blind belief that the system is best, or they lack the knowledge to coach an adapted version. I still think this staff can get the job done and will eventually round off those edges of that square peg, but the "process" is getting really ugly.

I could be wrong but I don't think there is a fullback on the team. Seems like they use a tight end to sorta play that role once in a while.

No, you're right. There is no fullback position. Not saying we don't need one...like all season. :hi:

GO VOLS!

So funny how people on the internet are so much smarter than the coaches.

Not saying anyone on here is smarter than the current staff, but I believe "most" fans are smart enough to know when something works or it doesn't. Also, if it doesn't work why aren't coaches trying something else to see if the situation could be bettered. You've heard the definition of insanity haven't you.
Jus' sayin'. :blink:

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 4 people
I have to agree Doyle. Some coaches are able and willing to adapt their schemes to fit the skill sets available. Others tend to pound the square peg into the round hole which appears to be what Butch and company are doing. I'm curious if it's from a blind belief that the system is best, or they lack the knowledge to coach an adapted version. I still think this staff can get the job done and will eventually round off those edges of that square peg, but the "process" is getting really ugly.
Case in point

Spurrier got his ass handed to him against FSU in 1996. His QB was constantly sacked the whole game

Luckily, Florida played FSU again in the Sugar Bowl for the Championship

This time, Spurrier tweaked his offense, going strictly to the shotgun, something he had not done all year, to give Wuerffel more time. He also went to a shorter passing game, throwing short routes to slow down the FSU pass rush. Great coaches adapt to win

Case in point

Spurrier got his ass handed to him against FSU in 1996. His QB was constantly sacked the whole game

This time, Spurrier tweaked his offense, going strictly to the shotgun, something he had not done all year, to give Wuerffel more time. He also went to a shorter passing game, throwing short routes to slow down the FSU pass rush. Great coaches adapt to win
Maybe we need get in the double barrel shotgun. Twice the distance back from the center. Or triple barrel?

I hope we see some new wrinkles because if we see the exact same regurgitated crap I'm going to vomit.

If you're dealt lemons you have to at least try to make lemonade.

Reactions: 2 people
No. The coaches think they have found the Holy Grail of systems and have been resistant to changing a thing. Several former players have mentioned this.

Butch came with these coaches and this system, and they will stay intact. In his mind, they are "the best" and time will prove him right or wrong. Many already have an opinion on this.

Case in point

Count you beat me to it! I don't know how many times I have thought of this game watching the Vols this year. I think it is time to try something different a little. Maybe tweak the play sets a little or even run some plays that we haven't seen. There was a wheel route in the Georgia game that Worley missed Lane? on in the first quarter. Haven't seen it since. Wonder if we have some plays like that we haven;t seen yet. Or even some quick throws deep.

I haven't seen anything from this staff that would ever lead me to believe that they would change a thing.

This. It seems they would play to our players strengths urban Meyer did it when he took over Florida and he had leak and Tebow and won a championship using 2 QB's and even Dooley and Chaney more than likely did this but they did it with Bray and went all shotgun and pistol formation cause that was what Bray was better at.. it just has seemed to me that Butch is going to run his system no matter what.. I would like to see him tweak it some add I formation some huddle up and slow the offense down .

If your Offensive Line is young & banged up...there is no scheme change to help. No offense works without blocking. None.

I would however like to see them slow the pace down. Eat some clock. Give the defense more time to rest. But that is not the staff's belief. They've hung their hat on fast & furious.

I get the frustration, but it is what it is.

VN Store

Back