Can the SEC East return to power?

golfballs

Mostly Peaceful Poster
Can the SEC East return to power? - ESPN

Back to Florida and Foley’s next hire: The other six schools might not want to hear this –- and especially Georgia -– but because of its past success and location in recruiting heaven, it’s the flagship in the SEC East. Or at least it should be.

I asked 10 coaches this week -- some in the SEC, some outside -- to rate the quality of the Florida job on a 1-10 scale.

The average score was a 9.

“We go to Florida to get a player or two, sometimes more,” one coach said, “but we’re not Florida. We’re not the University of Florida. That’s a huge advantage.”

The division is at a crossroads, and no school finds itself there more than the flagship in Gainesville. With the right hire, the balance could shift rather quickly back toward the East.

Where’s everyone else?

Georgia: Same ol’, same ol’ -- which is enough to frustrate ardent Bulldogs. They’re going to win 8-11 games every season, but they dwell somewhere on the fringe of the Promised Land. It isn’t impossible, but it’s difficult imagining Mark Richt’s program suddenly becoming more.

Kentucky: Mark Stoops is certainly on the right track when it comes to recruiting and results. But if what Michigan or someone else came calling?

Missouri: This is the hardest program to peg in the entire league. It’s still an odd fit -- and that means most in recruiting, where it’s geographically and culturally marginalized -- but it’s proved to be an overachiever. Hand it to Mizzou for a competitive start, and then some.

South Carolina: Steve Spurrier will coach as long as it’s fun. Well, 2014 has not been fun. Another year like this, and he might tell his wife it’s time to head to Crescent Beach. What an intriguing next hire for the Gamecocks and relatively new AD Ray Tanner, previously the school’s longtime baseball coach. How do you replace the Ball Coach? (Foley didn’t do so well.)

Tennessee: Very similar story to Kentucky, although recruiting at a higher level plus a richer history of winning. It’s positioned to take advantage of some of the turnover. But would Butch Jones consider Michigan?

Vanderbilt: How long can it go before admitting Derek Mason, a very nice guy and a hell of a defensive coordinator, wasn’t ready for this?

I haven't thought much about it, but considering the potential flux of a new coach at UF, one looming at USC, and Missouri regressing to expectations, Tennessee is well positioned to take advantage. Hopefully Butch is the guy to do it.

agreed. It really does look like brighter days are ahead. It better get here soon. these last 10 years have been brutal

The next five years will either make or break Tennessee.

If Butch can't get a foothold in the East with all the turmoil likely to go down (Spurrier and Richt will leave, Stoops won't stay at Kentucky long, and UF will take at least a couple years to build back up), then Tennessee may never become a power ever again.

And honestly, it will take some major coaching changes in the West for that division to lose its power. I can actually see guys like Miles, Sumlin, and Bielema getting out sooner rather than later for easier jobs.

Yes Every Thing Goes In Cycles But Tennessee Is On Its Way Up And So Is Kentucky Florida Will Get A New Coach They Won't Be Down Long South Carolina Will Continue To Build Georgia is at the top just need a couple players and a good QB and they always get one mizzou has showed they could be great they just lost a lot of players last year but yes the east will be dominant

Yes Every Thing Goes In Cycles But Tennessee Is On Its Way Up And So Is Kentucky Florida Will Get A New Coach They Won't Be Down Long South Carolina Will Continue To Build Georgia is at the top just need a couple players and a good QB and they always get one mizzou has showed they could be great they just lost a lot of players last year but yes the east will be dominant

Please use punctuation And Stop Capitalizing Words In The Middle Of Your Sentence

It makes your post hard to read, and it's nice to have grammatical cues for when one though ends and another begins.

Reactions: 6 people
I can't wait for the next Fall Sunday morning where I can wake up and watch Sports Center. Haven't seen one in years but by the Grace of God goes Butch, I will, I will - and all will be right with the SEC East as we reclaim the top spot on the leader board.

The next five years will either make or break Tennessee.

If Butch can't get a foothold in the East with all the turmoil likely to go down (Spurrier and Richt will leave, Stoops won't stay at Kentucky long, and UF will take at least a couple years to build back up), then Tennessee may never become a power ever again.

And honestly, it will take some major coaching changes in the West for that division to lose its power. I can actually see guys like Miles, Sumlin, and Bielema getting out sooner rather than later for easier jobs.

I don't know about EVER, but it will set us back another decade.

And there will surely be coaching attrition in the West

Reactions: 1 person
"But would Butch Jones consider Michigan?"

LOLZ. He should be asking if Michigan would consider Butch Jones. (Spoiler alert: the answer is Hell No. Ann Arbor would burn.)

Reactions: 6 people
True. Kentucky already has 5 wins. Tennessee will be lucky to have 5 at season's end.

and Kentucky probably won't win another game the rest of the season. Their best shot is against us in Neyland - which we will be favored by at least a TD

Reactions: 4 people
"on the right track when it comes to recruiting and results. But if what Michigan or someone else came calling?"

I think that's what he was specifically referring to

Our recruiting is still way better than theirs. Michigan ain't calling about CBJ.

The idea that Michigan would be interested in Mark Stoops or Butch Jones is crazy talk. Michigan wants a known commodity with a solid winning record above the mid-major level. They don't want to call somebody up like we've done twice now. And they certainly wouldn't want Butch's staff, some of whom we'd like to shuck.

It will be interesting to see who SCAR goes after when Spurrier leaves. He's beginning to get that "let me outta here" look he had before bolting DC.

If we have to fire Butch due to poor performance, this program will be apathetic. We will be Vanderbilt.

Please use punctuation And Stop Capitalizing Words In The Middle Of Your Sentence

It makes your post hard to read, and it's nice to have grammatical cues for when one though ends and another begins.

notsureIunderstandWhatYouAreTalkingAbout

Reactions: 4 people
If we have to fire Butch due to poor performance, this program will be apathetic. We will be Vanderbilt.

If Butch can somehow keep recruiting at a high level even if we continue sucking on the field, the program will have some potential, because any up and coming coach would look at the roster and see that he would win immediately here.

Please go get a job as a English teacher so you can get paid to be a jackass. Don't bother with electronics cause then you may know of auto correct. And after auto correct sometimes I just don't feel like fixing it but you get the point

UGA and UT are the only hope---when spurrier leaves in a year or two, usc will be down. Missouri was a flash in the pan and fla will be down for years with all their problems.

Please go get a job as a English teacher so you can get paid to be a jackass. Don't bother with electronics cause then you may know of auto correct. And after auto correct sometimes I just don't feel like fixing it but you get the point

I mean, I have to agree with him, it was kind of hard to understand.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back