Why do we keep running up the middle?

iKrager

We hardly ever call any outside hand offs or end arounds, and every time we run it, it's obvious where it's going.

Maybe it's just me, but besides bad play calling or scheming, why don't we run it outside more?

Reactions: 1 person
Strange isn't it? We are ridiculously more successful running to the outside than we are up the middle. Running to the outside more is a way of taking pressure off a weak O-line.

But..... ya know....... Bajakian.

Reactions: 2 people
We can't seal off the edge to get outside and our WRs can't block worth a shizz either.

The OL just fall down and there is a natural opening over the center because most teams play an even front with no one on the center's nose.

I don't know. Is it because we can't do anything else?
Still need two top 10 recruiting classes to run this offensive scheme successfully (or so it seems).
I'm still wondering what happened to throwing to our tight ends. They disappeared for some reason. :thud:

GO VOLS!

Hurd took it outside against Ole Miss and picked up 15 yards or so. It seemed to work and to my knowledge we only tried it once.
Running up the middle is one of my frustrations especially since the line is unable to knock the defenders off the ball.

We hardly ever call any outside hand offs or end arounds, and every time we run it, it's obvious where it's going.

Maybe it's just me, but besides bad play calling or scheming, why don't we run it outside more?

Because CBJs offense is centered around an inside running game. If you can run inside with this scheme, then you can do....a lot

Maybe because the coaches are tired of everyone complaining about running all those fly sweeps.

Its all been a smokescreen this year to trick everyone and then we unleash our Offense for the last four game of the season, make a bowl, win it, and Butch and Co ride off into the sunset....right?

It's the nature of Butch's gap scheme run game along with his fake zone read that fakes nobody. Everybody knows you have slow interior lineman get out in space along with bringing H-backs all the way from one side to the other to trap block. It's a process. Patience. Brick by brick.

Or we could tell the O-line to hit the guy in front of them, have the QB immediately hand it to the RB, tell the RB to hit the gap hard, and then make some yards. But that would have to be a part of the process.

My guess - It's the same as all plays VN posters have asked for after seeing it work against weaker defenses.
1 .we scream for the play.
2. The staff breaks down and tries it on a great D
3. We get our azz handed to us for yardage loss.
4. We come back to vn and scream for the next play and pretend we never suggested the last one.
Or say the staff ran it wrong.

Reactions: 4 people

have you seen our OL play? They can't protect the edges for outside runs.

What I haven't understood is why they don't run more two back and do some misdirection and motion. The teams who are successful with zone read keep you guessing every play
UTs been successful throwing on 1st with short stuff. I'd like to see the 2nd down average gain. I bet it's horrific.

My guess - It's the same as all plays VN posters have asked for after seeing it work against weaker defenses.
1 .we scream for the play.
2. The staff breaks down and tries it on a great D
3. We get our azz handed to us for yardage loss.
4. We come back to vn and scream for the next play and pretend we never suggested the last one.
Or say the staff ran it wrong.

Apparently everyone on VN is an unemployed football coach.

Outside runs take longer to execute, rely upon blocks on the linebackers, require reach blocks by our linemen, etc, etc. We cannot even block defensive players lined up directly across from our line, so expecting them to execute something more complicated is probably not going to happen. SEC defenses are very quick and outside runs have little room for error. You see sweeps by teams playing against SEC defenses in which the running back often never makes it to the line of scrimmage.

The zone read, when performed correctly (such as actually reading and not just predetermining the result), can be successful for us. If we try to run a zone read and predetermine that we will hand it off regardless of the defensive play, then we are negating the benefit of the read.

That jet sweep to a WR hasnt worked all year!! I think you are taliking running Hurd off tackle though, I agree. I wish a QB would run three times on designed keeper off the read.

Appears no one on the O-line has the ability to block or even a clue who to block. That's a coaching problem that hasn't been addressed all year, especially with the wacky offense they unsuccessfully keep trying to run.

Its all been a smokescreen this year to trick everyone and then we unleash our Offense for the last four game of the season, make a bowl, win it, and Butch and Co ride off into the sunset....right?

UPDATE: Butch and Co. don't ride off into sunset. No hole opened up in the sunset by the OL and they all got tackled at the edge of the horizon for no gain.

Been hearing this same statement since Johnny Majors was coach. You can ask the same question about any football team there is. Why do they run it up the middle all the time? The real answer is "they don't".

VN Store

Back