SC game info

WesternNCVol

I am going to my first road game this year in SC. There will be 5 of us.

One is a SC fan who will know the general layout, but hasn't been in several years.

Has anyone been? Where are good places to tailgate? Good restaurants/bars before and after game?

Thanks.

It's a dump. Just open fields and parking lots (for lumber yards) around the Dead Cockroach....oh, and there's some random Caboose parked next to the stadium for some reason.

I am going to my first road game this year in SC. There will be 5 of us.

One is a SC fan who will know the general layout, but hasn't been in several years.

Has anyone been? Where are good places to tailgate? Good restaurants/bars before and after game?

Thanks.

I've been to every game in Columbia since about 2002. Williams-Brice is a strange place. It's a nice stadium with tons of parking and it's flat so it's easy to walk around. But it sits in the middle of a fairgrounds area and is a couple of miles from campus and downtown Columbia. Before and after the game, you want to be downtown at the Vista which is a big area with restaurants, bars etc. Theres a nice new tailgating area next to the stadium but I'm sure that's a premium area where you'll need to know somebody. So . . . my advice is figure out somebody your friend knows with a spot in Gamecock Park or, better yet, who knows how to get into one of the cabooses next to the stadium.

In my opinion... not the best SEC or road game surroundings. The stadium sits in a middle of an industrial park and has no campus feel at all. Seemed to be zero pregame traditions besides hearing the work C*ck 10,000 times. Its not your typical southern campus pregame. Stadium reminds me of Kentucky, just a cookie cutter two sided stadium that has zero unique characteristics. The State of South Carolina is beautiful but the University of South Carolina, not so much. We have done 12 SEC stadiums so far... make your next one Ole Miss, Auburn, Georgia or Alabama to really enjoy that SEC southern feel.

The Vista and Five Points are the top two hangout places in downtown Columbia. I would recommend The Flying Saucer; it isn't too far from the stadium. You'll be hard pressed to find someone to let you into one of the cabooses.. especially wearing orange.

1. Lots of convenient tailgating at the fairgrounds, etc.
2. A good crowd of fans.
3. Horrible stadium to view a game ... very "shallow" and seats move quickly away from the field.
4. If the world ever had an enema, Columbia SC would probably get the hose.

The stadium is nothing spectacular, but I've never really found anything wrong with it from a viewing perspective unless you're in the top rows of the Endzone upper deck where you literally can't see anything that happens in the Endzone.

Now the techno music, rooster crow and the hilariously bad entrance of the dude in the foam chicken suit from behind the shower curtain on the other hand . . . .

Seems everyone agrees it's a dump. I honestly would rather watch this one at home but we had some one give us some tickets at a decent price. One of our friends going has offered a free place to stay nearby and we have a dd. I will go give it a shot. It's always good to wear orange, sip on a JD and coke, all while wearing orange.

I think we are spoiled by Neyland Stadium. I would like to start doing a road game each year and seeing some of the nicer SEC venues.

will play......
The game will be sponsored by Trojan condoms and Beavis and Butthead will be the announcers.
Yes, I'm pretty darn immature....:dance2:

There's very few bars along the "strip" where WB stadium is. If you know anyone with a tailgating spot right next to the stadium, its not bad.

There's very few bars along the "strip" where WB stadium is. If you know anyone with a tailgating spot right next to the stadium, its not bad.

Agreed. another plus is that there are multiple ways in and out of the area, so stadium traffic has somewhere to go.

Leaving WB is one of the easist exits I've had at any sporting event. Darligton Raceway and Charlotte Motor Speedway are pretty easy as well.

Everyone's covered how odd the placing of the stadium is. I parked at a minor league baseball stadium last time I was there and it was a short walk from there. Was pretty easy getting out after the game as well. They actually do a pretty good job there of making roads one way only away from the stadium.

Okay. We are staying in the area, but not sure how far away. We plan to get there around 1. We are split on bar hopping vs tailgating before hand. I'd prefer to tailgate and it looks like I may get my way. We are all in our mid to late thirties so the bar thing doesn't do it for us much, unless there is a cool place to eat and catch some of the earlier games. I really appreciate everyone's input.

Very flat & bland around the stadium. Went in 1992 (ugh!) & 2000. SC fans were very nice but that was before they ever won anything & before Spurriers pissy influence on them! Hope you have a good time! GO VOLS!

VN Store

Back