Hubbs O-Line Analysis

mitzustu

Finally heard some sensible analysis of the O-Line with Hubbs on 104.5 this morning.

Following were his talking points:

1) Two lineman are playing out of position:
Coleman Thomas and Kyler K.

2) Next year's O-Line success depends on a couple of things. Number one being Blair's development and ability to play tackle. He said with a redshirt he should be ready to go and is instrumental in providing stability for our Oline as a natural tackle.

3) The physical development of the Freshman from this year. He really stressed that Thomas especially is 18 and was playing small time HS ball last year and simply wasn't physically ready for this role. Another year of strength and conditioning should provide an enormous boost.

4) Don't expect major development this year. You have guys playing out of position because they are the best we have. Hubbs agreed that roster depletion was traumatic to this OLine. And once we gain ground there we will see a big difference.

Get off the ledge fellas. It's just the way it is.

Reactions: 99 people
I've noticed a VN tendency for "sensible analysis" to occur when it happens to coincide with a position you already hold.

Reactions: 13 people
I am anxious to see if Sawyers and Moseley can make an impact as well. One would think Moseley would be a natural OT, not sure on Sawyers.

Reactions: 1 person
He also mentioned injuries. He said expect Marcus Jackson to see the field Saturday expect Thomas to take a week off.

Not really related, but notable info.

Reactions: 2 people
I agree with the youth factor. I don't really keep up with recruiting, but if youth is a maor reason for the struggles, are hitting the JUCO trail to get some older OL's? It seems that would help some.

Finally heard some sensible analysis of the O-Line with Hubbs on 104.5 this morning.

Following were his talking points:

1) Two lineman are playing out of position:
Coleman Thomas and Kyler K.

2) Next year's O-Line success depends on a couple of things. Number one being Blair's development and ability to play tackle. He said with a redshirt he should be ready to go and is instrumental in providing stability for our Oline as a natural tackle.

3) The physical development of the Freshman from this year. He really stressed that Thomas especially is 18 and was playing small time HS ball last year and simply wasn't physically ready for this role. Another year of strength and conditioning should provide an enormous boost.

4) Don't expect major development this year. You have guys playing out of position because they are the best we have. Hubbs agreed that roster depletion was traumatic to this OLine. And once we gain ground there we will see a big difference.

Get off the ledge fellas. It's just the way it is.

This is the hardest thing for many on here to accept. To them, it's just "excuses" versus justifiable and legitimate reasons. Not much that you can do there. I do want to see Bajakian start calling some quicker passes though, and getting the ball out of Worley's hands faster. That's just adding up on the sack total and beat-down-O-Meter that Worley is racking up this season. I feel sorry for the kid, really.

Reactions: 5 people
I've noticed a VN tendency for "sensible analysis" to occur when it happens to coincide with a position you already hold.

Then find some sensible analysis that says we are bad because our o-line just needs to be coached up. Find some sensible analysis that says our offense is unimaginative and impotent because Bajakian stinks. Please. I dare you to find any of that from anyone not on Volnation.com.

Reactions: 7 people
Nonsense. The solution is to fire Mahoney and Bajakian ASAP.

Mahoney's recruiting worries me the most. We have to land some big time OT prospects in the future, and having an elite recruiting OL coach would go a long way to achieving this goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I agree with the youth factor. I don't really keep up with recruiting, but if youth is a maor reason for the struggles, are hitting the JUCO trail to get some older OL's? It seems that would help some.

We would have to flip some OT's that are already committed or drop down the rankings to pick up some that are not hot JUCO recruits. I think that if you start getting less than the best JUCO, then you will run into grade issues, character issues and just plain ol' not-good-enough athletes. We've had some success recruiting JUCO players over the years but there always a reason that those players are JUCO. Is it worth it to get a mediocre JUCO over a HS kid that will be in your program for 5 years. Tough call.

Reactions: 3 people
Then find some sensible analysis that says we are bad because our o-line just needs to be coached up. Find some sensible analysis that says our offense is unimaginative and impotent because Bajakian stinks. Please. I dare you to find any of that from anyone not on Volnation.com.

Easy Spanky. It's too damn early to get this worked up.

Reactions: 4 people
Needs more offensive linemen in next year's recruiting class. Jones lack of foresight by not recruiting more offensive linemen last year is evident this year. He continues to recruit more "athletes" that haven't significantly helped the team. Dominance at the line of scrimmage contributes more to winning games than anything else.

Reactions: 7 people
Mahoney's recruiting worries me the most. We have to land some big time OT prospects in the future, and having an elite recruiting OL coach would go along ways to achieving this goal.

Worst mistake Jones has made was not retaining Pittman.

Reactions: 11 people
If you read the tea leaves of what he is saying there are a lot of damn ifs for next year's line to be much better. The writing on the wall is they are stacking for 2016. Their big hoorah. I am fine with that but it means 2015 may suck a tad.

Needs more offensive linemen in next year's recruiting class. Jones lack of foresight by not recruiting more offensive linemen last year is evident this year. He continues to recruit more "athletes" that haven't significantly helped the team. Dominance at the line of scrimmage contributes more to winning games than anything else.

Those "athletes" sure have made a difference on the defense. Remember last year when a rb would hit the edge and it would be a td? When you have glaring deficiencies all over the roster it's going to take awhile to get those up to standards and build depth

While what Hubbs said is true, the QB can not be taking 5 step drops when in shotgun. The DE does not have to curl in towards the QB, just makes straight line towards him. Also it takes too long for Worley to set his feet. The DE or LB is already at him when he sets feet.

Those "athletes" sure have made a difference on the defense. Remember last year when a rb would hit the edge and it would be a td? When you have glaring deficiencies all over the roster it's going to take awhile to get those up to standards and build depth

Agreed...did you all even remember last year's D?

I don't dispute the Hubbs info, I think we all knew that. Throw in Jashon Robertson for having to learn on the fly too. I also get that CBJ is trying to redshirt Blair and any other OL he can. However, I find it hard to believe that we can't get any meaningful snaps out of Pair, Weisman, and Sanders given the performance of the OL. No, I'm not at practice and I get that it's not entirely the OL to blame. I am not going to single any player out, but surely we could get some better snaps out of fifth-year senior Pair, who played in 5 games last year. The staff seemed to be high on Weisman. He played in 10 games last year, but hasn't been much of a factor this year. Sanders was highly rated out of high school and can play all five OL positions, but hasn't made an impact. Again, I am on the outside looking in, but I can't help but wonder what is going on with these three.

Last edited:
If you read the tea leaves of what he is saying there are a lot of damn ifs for next year's line to be much better. The writing on the wall is they are stacking for 2016. Their big hoorah. I am fine with that but it means 2015 may suck a tad.

The O-line will be better next year....Just from being in a college program for a year, but it could just be an improvement from really bad to just bad.

I am afraid you are right.

VN Store

Back