Defense Getting Frustrated With Offense's Struggles

VolnJC

Sort of a telling quote by O'Brien

Patrick Brown ‏@patrickbrownTFP · 47m47 minutes ago
Asked #Vols D-tackle Danny O'Brien what more can Tennessee's defense do. His reply: "We need to score touchdowns."

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 people
its true.. I feel so bad for them.

I do too. It's hard to show how truly good you are when you're on the field as long as they are, and the offensive scheme and play calling at times doesn't give them the enough time to rest. For instance last Saturday in the first half when it was still 3-0 and we had the ball 4th and half a yard in ole miss territory. I say go for it without question regardless of whether you get it or not. It gives your d a few more minutes to grab some air and a punt isn't going to improve field position that much unless you have a lights out punter who will pin it inside the 5 every time. In this instance they scored on that drive.

Sort of a telling quote by O'Brien

Patrick Brown ‏@patrickbrownTFP · 47m47 minutes ago
Asked #Vols D-tackle Danny O'Brien what more can Tennessee's defense do. His reply: "We need to score touchdowns."

This is a misleading/partial quote. I heard the interview on the radio. He said "we are a good D but to be an elite D we need to score touchdowns when we create turnovers. That's what separates the good from elite".

Reactions: 37 people
This is a misleading/partial quote. I heard the interview on the radio. He said "we are a good D but to be an elite D we need to score touchdowns when we create turnovers. That's what separates the good from elite".

Butch said the same thing the other day

The defense feeds off offense..... honestly I would not be as energetic tackling and running my purty booty off knowing we will not move the ball and give it right back to em! The defense has done what they could so thus far.. I am waiting on a game where they play bad as well..... do Not be this year :)

The defense feeds off offense..... honestly I would not be as energetic tackling and running my purty booty off knowing we will not move the ball and give it right back to em! The defense has done what they could so thus far.. I am waiting on a game where they play bad as well..... do Not be this year :)

You would have been a Dooley recruit.

Reactions: 4 people
When we had Bray, we needed a defense. Now we have a defense and we need an offense. Gotta love it.

Reactions: 5 people
It would be nice to see the offense take the ball and go 80 yds/8 min drive for a TD while the D gets a rest. Our defense gets about 2 minutes of rest while the offense goes 3 and out.
The Defense has been great this year. If not for them we would have been run ruled in most games.

When we had Bray, we needed a defense. Now we have a defense and we need an offense. Gotta love it.

I've said it a few times........a vicious cycle that has gone on since '09. I look forward to the day we can put it together on both sides of the ball.

Reactions: 2 people
Heard a good interview with Maggitt today. Sounds like they are more frustrated by not causing turnovers. They want to set them up better.

Somebody on our team has to score TDs. Unfortunately, it isnt the offense. I think the D is playing some of the best defense in the country. The offense is playing some of the worst. I support our guys, but the are really struggling right now. The line has some growing up to do, but they are working their butts off. So I just root for that line to learn quickly.

Somebody on our team has to score TDs. Unfortunately, it isnt the offense. I think the D is playing some of the best defense in the country. The offense is playing some of the worst. I support our guys, but the are really struggling right now. The line has some growing up to do, but they are working their butts off. So I just root for that line to learn quickly.

7 games into the season and regressing isn't what I would call learning quickly.

Reactions: 1 person
Or you know, one of the guys on the field that gave up a TD to Ole Miss's 3rd string offense on a drive where they ran every down except for a 3 yd pass.

The defense is tired in the 4th qtr. The offense needs t..o step up.

Im sure its frustrating.

Its one thing to struggle moving the ball and scoring. Its another to turn it over making it more difficult on your D to keep you in the game.

Thank you for putting it in context instead what the OP did, which was repeating only one part of a longer quote to make it look like he was criticizing the offense.

What happened to the "One Tennessee"or whatever slogan they had in the pre-season?

This is the reality of "slogans." They're great before one group fails to deliver.

Reactions: 1 person

Their is something missing everytime. We end up short from winning/bowling. Most frustrating thing I have seen in sports

Why are some of you guys still pretending O'brien was frustrated with the offense even after the full quote has been posted revealing that was not the case? Weird.

VN Store

Back