Why is AJ....

spazzyvol

VFL TFWIW
Not being considered as a top LB draft pick? I know we all rave about him and we know he should be up there but it seems like every big board doesn't even have him listed as a top 5 LB in next years draft!?!? He should be first round caliber. End of rant.

Of course. But the lack of respect from these pre-draft gurus is downright offensive after the career he has had. Consistent top performer.

Reactions: 1 person
Of course. But the lack of respect from these pre-draft gurus is downright offensive after the career he has had. Consistent top performer.

At run stop and tackling.

I guess I haven't really paid attention but isn't he on the slower end/lacking when it comes to pass coverage?

If you get burned on the pass in college, there's no saving you in the NFL.

Not saying it can't be fixed. Just saying it could be in issue if the pros feel that way about him. Dude is a tackling machine, no doubt.

Not being considered as a top LB draft pick? I know we all rave about him and we know he should be up there but it seems like every big board doesn't even have him listed as a top 5 LB in next years draft!?!? He should be first round caliber. End of rant.

Teams draft on measurables. AJ's measurables aren't great. He's most likely a later round pick, but the team that gets him will get a player with great instincts and heart.

Reactions: 2 people
I see a lot of comments that pertain to previous seasons. This season AJ has improved his draft stock significantly. He is much quicker and is squaring up in the hole more on runs. His coverage skills have improved a great deal.

Reactions: 6 people
AJ is great! A tackling machine. But, I do think the pass coverage thing might potentially become an issue in the NFL. We shall see...

I hate to say it because I can't stand the Pats, but AJ is the type of LB that Belichick loves. What he lacks in speed he makes up for with taking the right angles. He has great instincts. Unfortunately, most teams don't draft on instincts.

Reactions: 1 person
The kid just doesn't have the speed.

But....he does have the heart.
I think he will be a steal and a solid NFL LB.

My Thoughts-
1) MLB's are not 1st round selections that often.
2) He is a protypical 4-3 Inside linebacker and that takes away about 40% of the teams (estimating 40% of NFL teams run a 3-4 for which he would not work.)
3) Even in a 4-3 scheme, there are 2 OLB's for every 1 ILB, so that limits him as well. He isn't fast enough for the OLB spot.

He doesn't have to be a 1st round pick to have a great NFL career. I see him going in the 3rd round. He has the potential to be a 3-7year NFL LB.

I think he will be a DE at the next level. I love AJ and he got faster this year for sure. Better talent around him. His tackles speak for themselves. However, his tackling technique may be a challenge at the next level. His heart and his motor will earn him a spot. The guy plays hard, EVERY play! He deserves to get rich, he came to UT and has picked maybe the roughest 4 year stretch to play here.

hes a late 1 early 2 prospect right now.. probably more 2.

AJ is a very good football player.. but theres 5 legit LB prospects (not 3-4 DE/OLB type).. less linebackers are being taken (more emphasis on pass rush and secondary).

AJ will be fine

My guess is no elite speed and he's played a lot of snaps in the SEC. That takes a toll.

Personally, I think his instincts and naturally durable body (when is he ever injured?) make up for it. But, to NFL scouts and owners, you gotta have combine numbers to back up high draft picks.

Don't know where he's going ? But I know he gives his all for UT..... And will always be a favorite of mine...

Reactions: 2 people
Definitely one of my favorite Vols. He's a tackling machine and just knows how to get to the football

I think he will be a DE at the next level. I love AJ and he got faster this year for sure. Better talent around him. His tackles speak for themselves. However, his tackling technique may be a challenge at the next level. His heart and his motor will earn him a spot. The guy plays hard, EVERY play! He deserves to get rich, he came to UT and has picked maybe the roughest 4 year stretch to play er playhere.
He is a great college ILB with a huge heart, but for the pro's, he is a bit slow. He will never play DE.

His pass coverage and lateral speed is night and day from last year. But with that being said I think he'll be a 4th or 5th round pick. His combine numbers will kill him.

AJ Johnson = Pure Entertainment! :popcorn:

Slinging ball carriers, :nono:
doing the fist pump, :lolabove:
meeting anyone in the hole with an attitude, :realmad:
the roundhouse leg kick (my personal fav), :dance2:
machine gunning, :machgun:
pre-game cheerleading, :3cheers:
in-game cheerleading, :girl1:
post-game cheerleading (if we ever win), :groupwave:
special teams kamikaze' as an All-SEC senior with an NFL future, :pirate:
100% hustle player on every down, :rock:
outrageous long white spandex socks and sleeves, :yikes: