SI article on TN Bama Rivalry

Neyland Law Vol

SI article that defends this game being an important rivalry despite Bama's recent streak. Hope Vol fans remember this Saturday!

Quick: who is Alabama’s biggest rival?

Given that they share a state, a lot of hate, and play in the Iron Bowl every year, it’s Auburn—right?

When it comes to enmity, that’s probably true. But if you judge by sheer volume of games, there’s no contest: It’s Tennessee. The Tide and the Volunteers have clashed 96 times since 1903. That’s the most games played against any opponent for Alabama and the third-most for Tennessee.

When the SEC split into East and West divisions, the UT-Alabama rivalry game was preserved as a permanent rivalry game. While some questioned the decision given how one-sided the rivalry has been in recent years, it is important to note that UT took 10 of 11 meetings from 1995 through Saban’s first year in 2007, not counting a vacated Alabama win from 2005. . . . Complaining about this rivalry is no new phenomenon. After a 17-13 Tide victory over the Vols in 1994, William F. Reed declared in the pages of SI that it was “the most overhyped, underwhelming series in the South” thanks to Alabama’s dominance. Tennessee promptly won the next seven straight matches.

Despite a date change, the third Saturday in October is still booked for Alabama-Tennessee - College Football - SI.com

Which 2 teams have we played more than 96 times since 1903? Im curious. UGA and Vanderbilt?

I wish this was a big game.

A top 10 game in all of college football if not better when both teams are good.

It has been a rivalry every year, for many years. This thread linked an article by SI describing the rivalry. It is in the OP I think.

I can't believe there's people on VN that are so dumb, they can't even comprehend the significance of this game whether it was 1931, 1953, or this Saturday. Go Vols!

Great read. Bama fans just have short memories. Their hate for us will escalate quickly once we start winning games in this series. All rivalries go through down times. Just look now at OSU/Michigan. Michigan has beaten them only once in the past 10 seasons. OSU's dominance the past few years doesn't make that game any less of a rivalry.

Duly noted, I used the Big 10 as my example. We all know what kind of poor football is played up there.

The 100th meeting happens in Knoxville, right? Will be awesome. I hope i can be there.

Finbaum stated yesterday that it is no longer a rivalry.

Not true

He said that Bama hates Auburn much more.....

True

As a fan of neither team, my problem with the rivalry is that it's rare both teams are good at the same time, which would explain why the rivalry is so streaky.

Odd would be a good word to describe it.

I went and looked it up, both teams have been ranked 17 times entering the game in the last 65 years.

That's been the case only twice in the last 15 years (2002 and 2005).

Tennessee has beaten a ranked Alabama team 3 times in the last 28 years (with one tie). 3-13-1 in that time.

In the same time span, Alabama is 8-9-1 vs. a ranked Tennessee team.

Tennessee is still feuding with Bama. I think it started when they stole that prized hog. I hate Bama till this day.

VN Store

Back