Bajakian Playcalling

Dewey

Guys and gals- I just ran some numbers regarding Bajakian and his playcalling tendecies and this is what I have...

On first downs:
49% pass
50% run
1% sack

2nd down:
50% pass
44% run
6% sack

3rd down:
63% pass
23% run
14% sack

I thought it was reasonable considering our offense. We are a pass happy 3rd down team because it is usually 3rd and long; which allows defenses to send their blitzes which results in 14% of our 3rd down plays being sacks.

Some numbers I found interesting:

Oklahoma sacked us 22% of the time on 3rd down
Florida sacked us 24% on 3rd down
Chatt sacked us 23% on 3rd down
Ole Miss sacked us 20 % on 2nd down

The game we ran the most on 3rd down was Georgia at 31% (also our best game).

We ran the least against Florida at 6% on 3rd down (our worst game)

Just thought these stats exemplified our OLINE struggles and how we cannot get a push up front to convert 3rd and short.

Fire away

Reactions: 3 people
if we get 3rd and short and can't get it up the middle then it's simple, do a toss or pitch out ala via 2013 uga game 4th and 1.

Reactions: 2 people
Im a fan of running more on 1st and 2nd.

The less this OL pass blocks and the less Worley has to make down the field decisions (when he has the time) the better.

Punting and playing defense is not a bad plan when the alternative is sacks and turnovers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Im a fan of running more on 1st and 2nd.

The less this OL pass blocks and the less Worley has to make down the field decisions (when he has the time) the better.

Punting and playing defense is not a bad plan when the alternative is sacks and turnovers.

I agree. Particularly when Hurd is healthy

This is akin to that negative yardage breakdown someone did. Between bad blocking, bad passing, bad catching, bad play calling and bad luck apparently we are losing yardage and getting sacked.

Reactions: 1 person
With the OL the way it is....the playbook has to be down sized a lot. There is not an OC in the country that would want to have to go through this.....the look on Butch's face Saturday night summed it all up. The man is hurting....he is hurting for his players. He wants to win so bad...for his players....this fan base....the University. The man is working his tail off for VolNation....if you can't see that...if you can't see how our defense went from the worst in school history to one of the best defense's in the nation. He has upgraded the talent in offensive weapons we have.....he was not here to blank in 2012 on ZERO OL's to leave us with ZERO depth now. This situation is going to take a little longer than anyone including myself wants to be fixed but it is what it is. Recruiting, recruiting, and recruiting. It may take 4 years....it sucks...but we can not afford another coaching change financially...and for the sake of stability....unless we want to end up like SMU.

Reactions: 4 people
With the OL the way it is....the playbook has to be down sized a lot. There is not an OC in the country that would want to have to go through this.....the look on Butch's face Saturday night summed it all up. The man is hurting....he is hurting for his players. He wants to win so bad...for his players....this fan base....the University. The man is working his tail off for VolNation....if you can't see that...if you can't see how our defense went from the worst in school history to one of the best defense's in the nation. He has upgraded the talent in offensive weapons we have.....he was not here to blank in 2012 on ZERO OL's to leave us with ZERO depth now. This situation is going to take a little longer than anyone including myself wants to be fixed but it is what it is. Recruiting, recruiting, and recruiting. It may take 4 years....it sucks...but we can not afford another coaching change financially...and for the sake of stability....unless we want to end up like SMU.
I don't know anyone saying fire Butch at all. Maybe shake Bajakian. Lol. Most know he is up against it too. It's a pretty tough situation for everyone.

So here is the dumb question, who steps up?
Does anyone think someone will? A QB, a RB the line?

SIAP but one question - "[insert team] sacked us XX% of the time on third down"

Are you saying XX% of all offensive third downs resulted in sacks, or XX% of their sacks occurred on third downs? That's pretty insane if almost 1/3 of our offensive 3rd downs result in sacks even against UTC.

Are you saying XX% of all offensive third downs resulted in sacks, or XX% of their sacks occurred on third downs? That's pretty insane if almost 1/3 of our offensive 3rd downs result in sacks even against UTC.

I wondered how that worked too.

Well against UTC, we had 13 total 3rd down plays and were sacked on 3 of them...resulting in 23% of the time.

Reactions: 1 person
Guys and gals- I just ran some numbers regarding Bajakian and his playcalling tendecies and this is what I have...

On first downs:
49% pass
50% run
1% sack

2nd down:
50% pass
44% run
6% sack

3rd down:
63% pass
23% run
14% sack

I thought it was reasonable considering our offense. We are a pass happy 3rd down team because it is usually 3rd and long; which allows defenses to send their blitzes which results in 14% of our 3rd down plays being sacks.

Some numbers I found interesting:

Oklahoma sacked us 22% of the time on 3rd down
Florida sacked us 24% on 3rd down
Chatt sacked us 23% on 3rd down
Ole Miss sacked us 20 % on 2nd down

The game we ran the most on 3rd down was Georgia at 31% (also our best game).

We ran the least against Florida at 6% on 3rd down (our worst game)

Just thought these stats exemplified our OLINE struggles and how we cannot get a push up front to convert 3rd and short.

Fire away
Funny how someone was commenting the other day about how we just run up the middle on first down and it was Bajakian's fault for 3rd and longs. It shows that it's not the X's and O's. Bama has proved that since Saban got there. Vanilla offense until this year and it didn't make a difference"

I wondered how that worked too.

Well against UTC, we had 13 total 3rd down plays and were sacked on 3 of them...resulting in 23% of the time.

Four sacks from Florida on 17 3rd downs = 23.5, which was rounded to 24%.

This is akin to that negative yardage breakdown someone did. Between bad blocking, bad passing, bad catching, bad play calling and bad luck apparently we are losing yardage and getting sacked.

gtfo...no way you can draw that comparison
(blue font)

Reactions: 2 people
Four sacks from Florida on 17 3rd downs = 23.5, which was rounded to 24%.

Bleh

There is nothing about this offense that is positive. I've examined all the various perspectives on it. I'm praying that by the time we get to the teams we should beat that there is some spark.

VN Store

Back