Part of the problem on Offense

utshawn

A couple of days ago I heard an analysis of the game by an ex-player whom I will not name. He basically said that the O-Line problems are not entirely their fault. About half the blame is Worley because he drops back way to far that it makes it almost impossible to block fast edge rushers.

I decided to go back and review highlights of our games and sure enough, Worley takes the shotgun snap and will almost always immediately drop back 5+ yards which allows for an easy outside speed rush to make our O-Line look a lot worse than it is.

I never really notices this so I looked at highlights of the Peyton Manning since he takes the majority of his snaps from shotgun. Manning Never drops back more than 2 yards. Most of the time it is about 1.5 yards.

I thought that my comparison may not be a fare comparison being compared to the GOAT so I did the same Worley comparison to Bo Wallace. About 80% of the time Wallace is about 2-3 yards on his drop backs.

Conclusion, I believe there is some validity in Worley being partially to blame on the sacks. To me it looks like if he kept his drop backs to under 3 yards, he would almost always have an extra 1-2 second.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 people
Holding the ball too long is another. Throwing interceptions hasn't been beneficial either. I've said repeatedly Worley plays a big role.
Play calling has not helped the line very often either which is a 4th factor. Not having Lane and Hurd healthy is a 5th. The entire offense has played poorly which is why I say the bulk of it resides with coaching.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
A couple of days ago I heard an analysis of the game by an ex-player whom I will not name. He basically said that the O-Line problems are not entirely their fault. About half the blame is Worley because he drops back way to far that it makes it almost impossible to block fast edge rushers.

I decoded to go back and review highlights of our games and sure enough, Worley takes the shotgun snap and will almost always immediately drop back 5+ yards which allows for an easy outside speed rush to make our O-Line look a lot worse than it is.

I never really notices this so I looked at highlights of the Peyton Manning since he takes the majority of his snaps from shotgun. Manning Never drops back more than 2 yards. Most of the time it is about 1.5 yards.

I thought that my comparison may not be a fare comparison being compared to the GOAT so I did the same Worley comparison to Bo Wallace. About 80% of the time Wallace is about 2-3 yards on his drop backs.

Conclusion, I believe there is some validity in Worley being partially to blame on the sacks. To me it looks like if he kept his drop backs to under 3 yards, he would almost always have an extra 1-2 second.

Thoughts?

Want to stop him from dropping back too far? Put him under center.

Reactions: 4 people
I keep yelling at my TV for Worley to get rid of it, but he seldom does. I think he just isn't listeneing.:confused:

Reactions: 9 people
Holding the ball too long is another. Throwing interceptions hasn't been beneficial either. I've said repeatedly Worley plays a big role.
Play calling has not helped the line very often either which is a 4th factor. Not having Lane and Hurd healthy is a 5th. The entire offense has played poorly which is why I say the bulk of it resides with coaching.

^This!! If you watch him go back and if he gets rid of the ball within a count of 1001, 1002, 1003 it generally results in a completion. After a count of 1004, bad things start to happen! :banghead2:

Reactions: 2 people
Was at the Ole Miss game. Multiple times Worley had enough time to get rid of the ball, but would not pull the trigger. Needs to start throwing people open, it is as if someone is not completely open, he will not throw the ball.

Reactions: 5 people
You would run too if you got hit on almost every play. Worley is not to blame when every man on the line gets beat on a consistent play. DTs bull rush right thru the guards, center often looks lost, and the tackles rarely get a helmet on the DEs. Coaching is poor but talent is lacking too

^This!! If you watch him go back and if he gets rid of the ball within a count of 1001, 1002, 1003 it generally results in a completion. After a count of 1004, bad things start to happen! :banghead2:

UF he missed wide open guys multiple times. It's hard to describe. He is good enough and the oline is bad enough that many fans are actually oblivious to how much he is actually holding the offense back. It's eerily similar to Simms.

Under center, quick slants/outs, 2 to 3 step drops ball gone. A couple of adjustments that could be made to help.

Reactions: 1 person
You would run too if you got hit on almost every play. Worley is not to blame when every man on the line gets beat on a consistent play. DTs bull rush right thru the guards, center often looks lost, and the tackles rarely get a helmet on the DEs. Coaching is poor but talent is lacking too

All the more reason he should throw it away. An intentional grounding is still better than an INT or a Fumble. Easier said then done when you are shell shocked. I am not at all trying to make light of his job here. It's brutal but he's making worse and worse decisions for the offense and his health.

Yeah he's taking entirely too many steps back because when the DEs come through untouched and never break stride it's probably Worley's fault, probably right...

Under center, quick slants/outs, 2 to 3 step drops ball gone. A couple of adjustments that could be made to help.

This worked earlier in the year. Watch the Florida and Ole Miss game again and you will see that they do not play very deep on early downs. They know we have to throw it short and they take it away often. Deep balls take time and the OL doesn't give enough time.

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah he's taking entirely too many steps back because when the DEs come through untouched and never break stride it's probably Worley's fault, probably right...

When he does not drop back too far he is often able to step up in the pocket and avoid pressure. He's cutting off half his pocket by dropping back as far as he is. That said the task at hand sucks for him. I get it.

Reactions: 3 people
This worked earlier in the year. Watch the Florida and Ole Miss game again and you will see that they do not play very deep on early downs. They know we have to throw it short and they take it away often. Deep balls take time and the OL doesn't give enough time.

Our WRs should be good and quick enough to get a step, of course this requires Worley to throw to where the receiver WILL BE not IS.

There is a lot, scheme wise an OC can do to help a struggling line and QB. I would just like to see him make some adjustments and not the same failed sets and schemes.

Part of the problem that I am seeing, is that the opposing D's have learned to jam up the receivers at the line disrupting their routes and causing them to be slower on their breaks. At the same time, they only have to rush 3 or 4 players to get through our O line so they can drop everyone else into coverage. So, there is no place for Worley to throw the ball. This wasn't happening as much in our earlier games, so the receivers could get open and Worley could throw the ball on the quick outs.

Either way he's running for his life. If he doesn't drop back deep he gets it from the middle. If he drops back too far he gets it from the edge. It doesn't matter. The line is getting whipped physically.

0 and 5

That is the TD to interception ratio Worley presently has in our last 2 SEC games. That is thread worthy in and of itself.

I don't think Worley is a great QB but apparently
the best we have.
My hats off to the guy for never exaggerating an injury
and going right back in, knowing he is going to get his head
slammed into the ground again.

I decided to go back and review highlights of our games and sure enough, Worley takes the shotgun snap and will almost always immediately drop back 5+ yards which allows for an easy outside speed rush to make our O-Line look a lot worse than it is.

Thoughts?

But we have to stop the push up front also, I agree that JW has a bit of fault to go into this. You can also point out the TE and the WR, if you noticed allot of these issues started when LT Jacob Gilliam - WR Smith and Pearson when down.

Remember 2013 when we had issues with WR running the right depth and finish routes (Paint a picture) for JW...well we are back to North and teams are shutting him down, Malone is playing like a Freshman

So in time we will have all of them back when our schedule gets to the teams we have a chance to beat

But we have to stop the push up front also, I agree that JW has a bit of fault to go into this. You can also point out the TE and the WR, if you noticed allot of these issues started when LT Jacob Gilliam - WR Smith and Pearson when down.

Remember 2013 when we had issues with WR running the right depth and finish routes (Paint a picture) for JW...well we are back to North and teams are shutting him down, Malone is playing like a Freshman

So in time we will have all of them back when our schedule gets to the teams we have a chance to beat

Sadly they all went down before we even got out of OOC play. Bleh

VN Store

Back