Rivalry(s)? Seriously?

MikeTheVol

I don't post much on here and this is NOT intended to be a "Nega-Vol" post. It is to simply state facts and release pent up frustration.

As we all know, our biggest rivals are UF and Bama with UGA and Auburn being in the top mix too. If you're younger, the UF may be your choice for the biggest rival, but if you've been a Vol since the 60's like me, then Bama is it. And when we used to play Auburn every year, that got to be a huge rivalry too. I hated them almost as much as I did Bama at times. But the point of this post is that right now, and for the last 10 years or so, no rivalry exists among us and ANY of the teams I just mentioned. In order to constitute a rivalry, you gotta win one at least occasionally.

Check this:
UF vs UT - 10 losses in a row
Bama vs UT - 8 losses in a row
UT vs UGA - 6 losses in a row
and with Auburn I can't remember without looking it up the last time we beat them. It may have been the 97 SEC championship. Somebody who's not as lazy as me can correct me. BUT, there have been somewhere between 24 and 26 tries against our top four rivals and we haven't won one. This does NOT constitute a rivalry against any of them.

All this being said, I think Butch is doing a phenomenal job in recruiting, motivating, igniting the fan base, public relations, etc. I get tired of saying next year, next year, next year for the 11 years now. But NEXT year I think we stand to have one of the best defenses in the SEC (maybe the best in some positions) thus making us one of the best in the country. If our offense has ANY improvement then we should upset at least two or three teams next year. Anyone who says Butch ought to be fired, or is on the hot seat, is just plain ignorant of the facts.

I'm hoping that NEXT YEAR we will recreate some of the rivalries with the aforementioned teams by beating the snot out of them. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Reactions: 2 people
Butch has us on the right track to renewing all of those rivalries!!! Soon you'll see our opponents with several losses in a row!!!! I love this staff!! Doing it the right way!!!

#GBO #VFL

We need to be more worried about breaking:

Vandy - 2 losses in a row
Mizzou - 3 losses in a row

and continuing the streak we have on South Carolina and Kentucky.

Reactions: 8 people
If you've been a vol fan as long as you say, then you should know that the Tennessee Alabama series has always been a streaky one. Still rivals, stupid post.

Reactions: 3 people

I don't disagree with what you said, but I don't consider either of those two rivalries. With Vandy, it's because of the reasons I stated in my OP. We have owned Vandy ever since General Neyland took over. And with Mizzou, I have no doubt that 10 years from now we will have long since owned them too. That said, I KNOW we will beat Vandy this year and hope to end the streak against Mizzou.

There have been plenty of long streaks in the UT/Bam rivalry. I'm sure bammers thought it was still a rivalry during the 90's when we won 7 in a row. And 8 losses in a row to bama??? Pretty sure we beat them in '06

If you've been a vol fan as long as you say, then you should know that the Tennessee Alabama series has always been a streaky one. Still rivals, stupid post.

Yeah, but Bama owns the streaks too. I suffered through 11 in a row from 71 to 82 losing to the Tide.

Apparently you are a closet Vandy fan just hurling insults as they do. :hi:

Reactions: 1 person
There have been plenty of long streaks in the UT/Bam rivalry. I'm sure bammers thought it was still a rivalry during the 90's when we won 7 in a row. And 8 losses in a row to bama??? Pretty sure we beat them in '06

A thousand pardons. I believe you are correct. So cut ONE off the number of tries I stated against our "rivals".

This is Mizzou's 3rd year in the SEC......we've only played them twice

A thousand pardons. I believe you are correct. So cut ONE off the number of tries I stated against our "rivals".

And you also failed to get my point. I could agree that this isnt a rivalry when nobody gives a **** anymore or bama rolls off 15+ in a row.

Saban said"Tennessee vs. alabama is one of college football's greatest rivalries". Win or lose the game is one of Tennessee's traditions. :yes:

Alabama
38-51-7

Florida
19-25

Georgia
21-21-2

Last edited:
So because one team wins for a few years in a row it is no longer a rivalry? Wrong!

TN won 9 in a row v. UGA through 1999.

TN won 9 out of 10 in a row against Bama through 2004.

The games were still rivalries then and still are now.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with what you said, but I don't consider either of those two rivalries. With Vandy, it's because of the reasons I stated in my OP. We have owned Vandy ever since General Neyland took over. And with Mizzou, I have no doubt that 10 years from now we will have long since owned them too. That said, I KNOW we will beat Vandy this year and hope to end the streak against Mizzou.

Vandy is a rivalry. If it wasn't then FL and ALA wouldn't deserve to call us rivals. I'm proud to continually hate 5 other SEC teams because it's tradition, dammit!

Reactions: 4 people
So because one team wins for a few years in a row it is no longer a rivalry? Wrong!

TN won 9 in a row v. UGA through 1999.

TN won 9 out of 10 in a row against Bama through 2004.

The games were still rivalries then and still are now.

This, and thank you NLV for the post. A rivalry game is based on tradition, venom, enthusiasm, and passion among other things. There is no W/L requirement to label a series a rivalry. Bama-Tennessee is a great rivalry- one of the best in all of football. We need to get back into the win column but just because we have not gotten them in a while doesn't make it less of a rivalry.

Would you get out-of-your-mind excited if we beat this team? Of course you would. It's a rivalry! We beat a lot of teams in the stretches that NLV was talking about, but for many including me, no regular season W's were sweeter than the ones over Bama!

A few years back a reporter was interviewing one of the many stud defensive tackles that have gone thru 'bama in recent years and the discussion got into rivalries like Auburn and Tennessee. To paraphrase the players reply it was something like "you don't understand, we have to hate Auburn. We CHOOSE to hate Tennessee..."

I was at the 82 game. I was on the tail end of one of the goal posts as we carried it down Cumberland (still have a pic clip of that from the New Sentinel somewhere in my office...)

The hatred is still there. We have beaten each other up for over one hundred years. We aren't about to stop now. What you are confusing as a lack of rivalry is just that lately we've been their biatch... and that needs to stop very very soon.

And "hatred" is a strong word. I don't "hate" any of them, that's a bit dramatic. However I have an extreme dislike of their collegiate athletics program in football...:good!:

I think what makes this "streak" by Bama seem different is the way Bama is crushing us. Only 2009 was a close game. Out of the other 6 wins the closest game was in 2008, 29-9.

Yeah, but Bama owns the streaks too. I suffered through 11 in a row from 71 to 82 losing to the Tide.

Apparently you are a closet Vandy fan just hurling insults as they do. :hi:

First off, my point wasn't to insult you. Apologies for doing so.
My point is, to say this is no longer a rivalry because they've won 8 straight is wrong. It was still a rivalry after we won 7 straight just the same. And for the record, in the past 20 years the series stands at 10 wins for the vols and 10 for bama.
We hate bama and they hate us all the same.

VN Store

Back