Barnett vs Clowney (freshman year comparison)

Aesius

Through seven games, Derek Barnett's stats are:

38 tackles (25 solo), 3 sacks, 9.5 TFLs

Through 13 games, Clowney's freshman stats were:

36 tackles, 8 sacks, 12 TFLs

For those stats, Clowney was named SEC Freshman of the Year, Freshman All-American, and Freshman All-SEC.

Barnett may be the best overall player in Tennessee's 2014 class.

Reactions: 20 people
Barnett's playing well, but he's no Clowney as of right now. Clowney came in as a freshman and was demanding double teams almost from the start.

Barnett is not the pass rusher Clowney was but he has the potential to be great if he works hard developing his body in the off season. Cant wait to see next years defensive line.

Barnett's playing well, but he's no Clowney as of right now. Clowney came in as a freshman and was demanding double teams almost from the start.

It would appear that teams should probably start double teaming Barnett then. He's on pace to have a better season than Clowney did as a freshman.

I think Clowney was more explosive, while Barnett is more consistent in his play. Clowney took plays off.

Agree, but I think a lot of that came because of the hype Clowney got coming out of HS as well. Either way, Barnett is exceeding expectations in my book thus far.

I think we will see allot more from Corey Vereen, he has been hobbled but nothings been reported, last week seem to be playing at 100% along with CMaggitt.

It would appear that teams should probably start double teaming Barnett then. He's on pace to have a better season than Clowney did as a freshman.

I think Clowney was more explosive, while Barnett is more consistent in his play. Clowney took plays off.

Clowney didn't have that problem til his final year at USC, IMO. Didn't notice any quit in him his first two years, but that's just me I guess.

Glad to have Barnett regardless.

Barnett is not the pass rusher Clowney was but he has the potential to be great if he works hard developing his body in the off season. Cant wait to see next years defensive line.

Next years Defense in general is going to be nasty..

But that D Line doe .. Barnett , Hendrix , Vereen , Mckenzie , Tuttle , Williams , O Brien , Saulsberry , Sawyers
Freshman Honorable Mention - Butcher , Picou , Taylor , Ford , and Jackson maybe..:rock:

VN can whine about the O line until the cows come home but in 2016 we will have the best D line in college football. (though I hope to see more of Hendrix this year).

Barnett is a beast for you guys. I believe the biggest thing clowney did as a freshmen was help Melvin Ingram become a first round draft pick. He was pretty much a average Dline guy until Clowney came. That one season really helped Ingram break out. Great players make the ones around them better. I look forward to seeing how our offense matches up to your defense this year.

Next years Defense in general is going to be nasty..

But that D Line doe .. Barnett , Hendrix , Vereen , Mckenzie , Tuttle , Williams , O Brien , Saulsberry , Sawyers
Freshman Honorable Mention - Butcher , Picou , Taylor , Ford , and Jackson maybe..:rock:

Now if we can get our OL fixed. :eek:k:

Impressive, you could even argue Clowney had better talent playing with him on the Dline at USCe

Through seven games, Derek Barnett's stats are:

38 tackles (25 solo), 3 sacks, 9.5 TFLs

Through 13 games, Clowney's freshman stats were:

36 tackles, 8 sacks, 12 TFLs

For those stats, Clowney was named SEC Freshman of the Year, Freshman All-American, and Freshman All-SEC.

Barnett may be the best overall player in Tennessee's 2014 class.

Clowney was the no.1 ranked player in the nation so he received a lot more attention than Barnett and has a more athletic build but... I love what Barnett is doing. Hes going to be a great player here for us for a while. You just never know which one of these guys are going to get here and excel. Hendricks is the guy that we seemed to hear so much about in this class yet we've barely seen him this year

Ole Miss with the best Lt in the Sec doubled him most of the second half.

Reactions: 1 person

Ole Miss double teamed him quite a bit.

Barnett has been my favorite of the new Vols. Getting giddy thinking about next year with experience under his belt and playing next to some beast like McKenzie and Tuttle.

VN Store

Back