SI caption with Manning and Tee

thomaseusin

SI Vault ‏@si_vault
These two former Vols have thrown a combined 510 NFL touchdown passes:

B0ar9BkCcAA9LbH.jpg

"and 1 NCAA National Championship"

Reactions: 1 person
One gives back to his university whenever he has the opportunity. The other has never given back to his university and turned his back on them

Reactions: 24 people
One gives back to his university whenever he has the opportunity. The other has never given back to his university and turned his back on them

Did you graduate from UT and then only ever work for UT or did you get the best job for your career and family?

Reactions: 9 people

Any money (that we know of/not that he's required to, of course), he allowed himself to help Kiffin publicly diss Jones and UT with the job offer rejection.

A shame because Tee really is by all accounts a good guy who led us to the natty. I hate having a bad feeling about him now.
(In before someone tells me to get over it)...lol.

Reactions: 3 people
Did you graduate from UT and then only ever work for UT or did you get the best job for your career and family?

I never repeatedly gave the hint that I wanted to come back and work for UT. I also was never given the opportunity to come back and work for UT. However, I also did not fly back to UT on their dime, and publicly turn down a job offer and chose to stay with Lane Kiffin of all people

Reactions: 2 people
0 Heisman winners

Not Manning's fault. The same people (who had votes) who voted for Woodson, have admitted that they screwed him out of the Heisman. There was even a discussion about that very topic on "Sports Reporters" on ESPN a couple of years ago. Don't put it on Peyton.

0 Heisman winners

All Political.

Johnny should have won.
Paul Hornung of Notre Dame is the only Heisman winner to have played on a losing team as the Irish were 2-8 in 1956

Vols-Coaches.AP#2

1956 record
10–1 (6–0 SEC)

Heisman Voting 1956

1 Paul Hornung Notre Dame SR QB 197 162 151 1066 59 Cmp, 111 Att, 917 Yds, 3 TD, 13 Int

2 Johnny Majors Tennessee SR RB 172 171 136 994 108 Att, 549 Yds, 5.1 Avg, 7 TD

Reactions: 4 people
Not Manning's fault. The same people (who had votes) who voted for Woodson, have admitted that they screwed him out of the Heisman. There was even a discussion about that very topic on "Sports Reporters" on ESPN a couple of years ago. Don't put it on Peyton.

I was just joking. I know he should've won it over a defensive player. Wasn't being serious at all. Peyton is my favorite football player of all time.

All Political.

Johnny should have won.
Paul Hornung of Notre Dame is the only Heisman winner to have played on a losing team as the Irish were 2-8 in 1956

Vols-Coaches.AP#2

1956 record
10–1 (6–0 SEC)

Heisman Voting 1956

1 Paul Hornung Notre Dame SR QB 197 162 151 1066 59 Cmp, 111 Att, 917 Yds, 3 TD, 13 Int

Ever heard of Jim Brown?

Both were outstanding college QB's, we can agree on that.

Tee was very good but I personally wouldn't call him outstanding. Peyton was and still is

As I was watching him Sunday night I told my wife that I've been watching PM play for 20yrs and it's still fun. Pro football will take a step back for me when he's done

Reactions: 6 people
Tee was very good but I personally wouldn't call him outstanding. Peyton was and still is

As I was watching him Sunday night I told my wife that I've been watching PM play for 20yrs and it's still fun. Pro football will take a step back for me when he's done

I equate Mannings retiremement to NASCAR losing Dale Earnhardt. Biggest name, their Babe Ruth, and it has never recovered. NFL will still be a strong force but Manning has played a big part in making it so popular and the league will miss him when he retires.

I was just joking. I know he should've won it over a defensive player. Wasn't being serious at all. Peyton is my favorite football player of all time.

Oh..my bad. I think he's just an unbelievably classy guy that simply broke the mold as a college/professional player. I feel blessed to have been able to watch him in college and throughout his professional career...kinda like watching Jordan during his time. When you watch both...you just know you're watching history.

All Political.

Johnny should have won.

Vols-Coaches.AP#2

1956 record
10–1 (6–0 SEC)

Heisman Voting 1956

3 Tds and 13 interceptions on a 2-8 team? That's BS.

Manning didn't win the Heisman for a reason that will be familiar to all Vol fans: The team choked against florida. The UT-Florida game was hyped to the max by the media both when Manning was a junior and a senior--and of course we laid eggs in both games (surprise!), and after the senior-year loss there was a media backlash against Manning. I believe PM threw a pick-six in his last florida game which pretty much sealed the loss--correct me if I'm wrong. Was the vote unfair? I thought so, but Woodson was an exceptional player, had an outstanding senior season, and he did go on to have a great NFL career himself.

Manning didn't win the Heisman for a reason that will be familiar to all Vol fans: The team choked against florida. The UT-Florida game was hyped to the max by the media both when Manning was a junior and a senior--and of course we laid eggs in both games (surprise!), and after the senior-year loss there was a media backlash against Manning. I believe PM threw a pick-six in his last florida game which pretty much sealed the loss--correct me if I'm wrong. Was the vote unfair? I thought so, but Woodson was an exceptional player, had an outstanding senior season, and he did go on to have a great NFL career himself.

Male bovine fecal matter!

Manning lost the Heisman because the Rose Bowl refused to join the BCS that year. ABC had the Rose Bowl and owns ESPN. Their game was largely viewed as a ho-hum after thought and the UT-Neb Orange Bowl was the BCS version of a National Championship game. ESPN started hyping Woodson when it was clear that UM would be in the Rose Bowl and not Ohio St. They needed a reason to get the ABC game some interest. The next year, the Big 10 and PAC 10 joined the BCS. If it had been a year earlier, Manning would have won the Heisman by a landslide.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back