fuzzy math: Jake vs Sal

DD4ME

Zoo Keeper
I was curious how we stack up thus far on offensive rankings at this point in the season. When I was looking them up I decided to look up our 2012 defensive numbers to compare.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

2012 - Sunseri
Scoring D: 107
Total D: 110
Rushing D: 87
Passing D: 114

2014 - Bajakian
Scoring Offense: 97
Total Offense: 116
Passing Offense: 70
Rushing Offense: 119

Sunseri got canned.

Bajakian is just as bad on paper, and is in his 2nd year to boot.

Aside from the O line, Bajakian has more talent than last season too, yet we seem to have regressed.

Hmm.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Coaching aside it took 2 years to go from last in the nation to where we are today.

Reactions: Weezer
We may take another dive this Saturday but hopefully thereafter the numbers should trend up some.

One could ask did Sal just need more recruiting and time or was he just bad and 118 is flourishing under Jancek? Or is Jancek just a benefactor of good talent? When things get ugly the tea leaves aren't as easy to read.

Last edited:
I didn't write 2012 offense down but I believe our 2014 defense is statistically the best unit we've had in all phases in a very long time.

Except in the redzone. Our redzone defense is sub-par. We are a great 3rd down team until we get into redzone. Lack of depth on defense and no offense is gassing our defense. I bet we are a top 3 defense in the SEC in terms of points allowed in the first quarter, and I bet we are in the bottom three in the SEC in terms of points allowed in the fourth quarter. I bet over 2/3 of the rushing yards our defense has given up occurred in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

Last edited:
Except in the redzone. Our redzone defense is sub-par. We are a great 3rd down team until we get into redzone. Lack of depth on defense and no offense is gassing our defense. I bet we are top 3 defense in the SEC in terms of points allowed in the first quarter, and I bet we are bottom three in the SEC in points allowed in the fourth quarter. I bet over 2/3 of the rushing yards on our defense occurred in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

I think if you just take our stats for what they are and factor in how much they are on the field you can see a lot of potential is actually wasted on a really crappy offense.

I'm pretty vocal about not being a Bajakian fan but all that aside I think it is safe to say it would easily be 2016 before we have a highly competitive offense. Just based on where we are now and who we will have.

Important to keep in mind when comparing these two clowns that

Sunseri put up his abomination in his first year of ever being a DC. Anywhere.

BigEastian has been with CBJ, running CBJs offensive scheme, since about 2007.

I'm pretty vocal about not being a Bajakian fan but all that aside I think it is safe to say it would easily be 2016 before we have a highly competitive offense. Just based on where we are now and who we will have.

The only problem is that by then guys like Von, Pig, and maybe North will be gone.

I think aside from O Line (and maybe QB depending on whom you ask) we have a lot of talent. And we aren't showing it. Our 6 play playbook consisting of a read option, fake read option handoff, seam to wolf, bubble screen and triple reverse hasn't exactly allowed them to live upto potential.

According to those stats Bajakian is better.... But not by much. I will give him the benefit of the doubt until next year though. If no improvement is seen by year 3, something may have to change

The only problem is that by then guys like Von, Pig, and maybe North will be gone.

I think aside from O Line (and maybe QB depending on whom you ask) we have a lot of talent. And we aren't showing it. Our 6 play playbook consisting of a read option, fake read option handoff, seam to wolf, bubble screen and triple reverse hasn't exactly allowed them to live upto potential.

I'm assuming all things positive in that statement. Others may come to other conclusions. By 2016 the entire roster is CBJ's and Jakes.

According to those stats Bajakian is better.... But not by much. I will give him the benefit of the doubt until next year though. If no improvement is seen by year 3, something may have to change

If you just apply an average it's 104 Sal to 100 Jake although Jake has lower total output ranking and the lowest 2 rankings of the entire sample.

Don't understand why more folks don't take this position.

The o-line has to be fixed by next year. If we field this type of product next year without making an o-line coaching change then this place is going to melt down like never before. CBJ's job rest solely on Mahoney's ability to recruit and coach. This year he gets a D and last year I'd gave him a B- due to the improvement of the run game. However, he accomplished this with a senior line that he didn't recruit. Had our players last year been Mahoney's players then I'd gave him an A. Mahoney's recruiting is nothing short of below average. We are in deep s@@@ if CBJ doesn't have some master plan up his sleeve. This o-line sucks, and Kerbs and Thomas can't be starting at T for us next year. Thomas needs to go back to C and Kerbs needs to be at RG. I personally want to see this line up from left to right:
First team:
Kendrick, Jackson, Thomas/Wiesman, Kerbs, Blair

2nd team:
Blair, Sanders, Crowder/Wiesman/Thomas, Robertson/Kendrick, Jones/Kendrick

I'd like to see at least one of Wiesman/Robertson/Thomas redshirt next year, with the best case scenario being 2 of the 3 redshirt.

Don't understand why more folks don't take this position.

Yeah I knew that this job would take 3-5 yrs to actually get us "back" so I'm am willing to give everyone a chance as long as there is gradual improvement every year. We have to remember that not even half the team is Butch's chosen guys and recruiting can heal a lot of problems if given time to do it. So to all these FIRE BUTCH! ppl, they need to push the brakes a tad. We will be back sooner than later. Everyone knew it wasn't going to be a quick fix so idk why everyone is freaking out now.

BigEastian has been with CBJ, running CBJs offensive scheme, since about 2007.

And thats the issue. He could have been with CBJ since 1907 and it would not make any damn difference since he is running BigEastian offense vs SEC defenses.

Reactions: 1 person
Sunseri got canned.

Bajakian is just as bad on paper, and is in his 2nd year to boot.

Aside from the O line, Bajakian has more talent than last season too, yet we seem to have regressed.

Hmm.

Good thing the SEC is a skill position league :crazy:

Why wait that long? He's the problem, everyone knows this. Replace him and I guarantee the wins will start rolling in.

Come on, it's deeper than just coaching. I'm not sold that they can get it done, but it's been well documented how depleted our roster is.

VN Store

Back