SEC Combined Experience Ranking per Phil Steele

Rifleman

These numbers from before the season, plus recruiting quality, explain this season pretty well if you take the time to look them over.

Feel free to refer people to this post when they claim our youth and inexperience is merely an excuse. The math clearly says something else:

Combined Experience Rank

Rank - Team - Exp Pts
1 MS St. 77.36
2 AU 76.38
3 SC 70.12
4 Ole MS 69.46
5 AR 64.37
6 KY 62.47
7 FL 60.03
8 GA 58.72
9 A&M 55.55
10 BAMA 49.95
11 LSU 46.82
12 MO 45.79
13 Vols 44.85
14 Vandy 44.25

Senior Experience Rank

Rank - Team -Senior Strs - Snr 2 Deep - Snr Exp Pts
1 - AU - 12 - 4 - 79
2 - MS St. - 12 -4 - 75
3 - Ole MS - 8 - 6 - 72
4 - SC - 7 - 5 - 71
5 - GA - 10 - 4 - 70
6 - KY - 8 - 8 - 66
7 - AR - 9 - 3 - 65
8 - BAMA - 8 - 4 - 63
9 - MO - 10 - 2 - 63
10 - FL - 7 - 4 - 57
11 - A&M - 8 - 5 - 56
12 - LSU - 6 - 3 - 50
13 - Vols - 5 - 2 - 45
14 - Vandy - 5 - 1 - 42

Lettermen Returning Rank

Rank - Team - LTR Return
1 - SC - 85.29%
2 - MS St. - 82.61%
3 - A&M - 75.00%
4 - AU - 73.61%
5 - LSU - 73.33%
6 - FL - 70.00%
7 - KY - 69.44%
8 - Vandy - 69.35%
9 - Ole MS - 68.97%
10 - GA - 68.92%
11 - AR - 68.75%
12 - BAMA - 68.57%
13 - MO - 61.90%
14 - Vols - 59.72%

OL Career Starts Rank

Rank - Team - OL CAR STRS
1 - SC - 113
2 - AU - 113
3 - A&M - 89
4 - Vandy - 83
5 - MS St. - 81
6 - LSU - 75
7 - KY - 74
8 - MO - 72
9 - FL - 66
10 - Ole MS - 61
11 - GA - 54
12 - AR - 51
13 - BAMA - 37
14 - Vols - 6

A few additional notes:
*The average OL career starts for all teams nationally: 67 starts.
*Tennessee's 6 OL career starts prior to the season is 128th of 128 FBS teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: 36 people
As an aside, South Carolina is having a full meltdown season considering their experience levels.

Is this a sign of the OBC in decline?

Reminds me of a few of our Fulmer teams that didn't pan out. There is really no excuse for them losing at the clip they are losing at.

Reactions: 2 people
Great post and it is exactly why we are where we are at this point in time. People like to believe that since the letters UT are on our jerseys that we are somehow loaded with talent and that is simply not the case at all.

Reactions: 3 people
As an aside, South Carolina is having a full meltdown season considering their experience levels.

Is this a sign of the OBC in decline?

Reminds me of a few of our Fulmer teams that didn't pan out. There is really no excuse for them losing at the clip they are losing at.

Just hope they don't put it together for the UT game. My guess is they miss their on field leaders which I think plays as big a role as coaching. IMO guys like AJ mean as much or more to a team as any one super talented stud. We have no AJ on the offensive side of the ball.

Reactions: 4 people
great information for those that are frustrated with the product on the field but have the brain capacity to look at everything involved.

Again, it doesn't mean we can't question Bajak and wonder what he's trying to do, but telling stats, especially when you are talking about men playing against teenagers in the trenches.

Great post and it is exactly why we are where we are at this point in time. People like to believe that since the letters UT are on our jerseys that we are somehow loaded with talent and that is simply not the case at all.

Well, the talent is arriving but it is still inexperienced.

As we see with Bama, LSU and A&M this year--who all lost significant talent to the NFL early--even 5-star freshmen struggle and make catastrophic errors.

The key is to hold enough of that talent until it matures.

Last edited:
Interesting to see the numbers. Pretty dreary where we are sitting right now.

great information for those that are frustrated with the product on the field but have the brain capacity to look at everything involved.

Again, it doesn't mean we can't question Bajak and wonder what he's trying to do, but telling stats, especially when you are talking about men playing against teenagers in the trenches.

Agreed. I don't think any fan doesn't think we are handicapped as hell. The OL starts is a nasty illustration.

I get it.

Until we had UT-Chatt roll into Neyland and put up how many sacks? Our RBs put up a mediocre 3.4ypc against the stalwart UT-Chatt defense.

The Citadel, by the way, put up 4.02ypc against UT-Chatt. Central Michigan put up 4ypc. Samford put up 3ypc.

So I guess our guys are worse than the Citadels and Central Michigans. Our OL of SEC offered guys are just above Samford.

We are getting what we paid for. MAC results with SEC guys from a MAC staff.

Deny deny deny away!

Just hope they don't put it together for the UT game. My guess is they miss their on field leaders which I think plays as big a role as coaching. IMO guys like AJ mean as much or more to a team as any one super talented stud. We have no AJ on the offensive side of the ball.

Those are very good points. South Carolina is a very dangerous team if a player or two on each side of the ball can fill those roles for them. I hope that ship doesn't find a rudder until after we visit them, but I expect we won't be so lucky.

Those are very good points. South Carolina is a very dangerous team if a player or two on each side of the ball can fill those roles for them. I hope that ship doesn't find a rudder until after we visit them, but I expect we won't be so lucky.

Clowney and Shaw were not just talents they were gamers. Hard to replace. We have nothing like Shaw on our team.

I get it.

Until we had UT-Chatt roll into Neyland and put up how many sacks? Our RBs put up a mediocre 3.4ypc against the stalwart UT-Chatt defense.

The Citadel, by the way, put up 4.02ypc against UT-Chatt. Central Michigan put up 4ypc. Samford put up 3ypc.

So I guess our guys are worse than the Citadels and Central Michigans. Our OL of SEC offered guys are just above Samford.

Deny deny deny away!

give me a 23 yr old DL from nooga or the Citadel against your 18 yr old OL that arrived on a college campus 3 months ago in one on one battles and I'm winning 9 of 10 times.

Reactions: 9 people

I think the frustration on the offensive side had helped Coach Jake into some of those calls.

It also has Worley doing some peculiar things that I haven't seen him do before.

Since when do we take a 7-step drop out of the shotgun!? He's was out of the back of the "protection" against Ole Miss so that he can't step up to throw or get the right timing on passes. That had me scratching my head.

These numbers from before the season, plus recruiting quality, explain this season pretty well if you take the time to look them over.

Feel free to refer people to this post when they claim our youth and inexperience is merely an excuse. The math clearly says something else:

Combined Experience Rank

Rank - Team - Exp Pts
1 MS St. 77.36
2 AU 76.38
3 SC 70.12
4 Ole MS 69.46
5 AR 64.37
6 KY 62.47
7 FL 60.03
8 GA 58.72
9 A&M 55.55
10 BAMA 49.95
11 LSU 46.82
12 MO 45.79
13 Vols 44.85
14 Vandy 44.25

Senior Experience Rank

Rank - Team -Senior Strs - Snr 2 Deep - Snr Exp Pts
1 - AU - 12 - 4 - 79
2 - MS St. - 12 -4 - 75
3 - Ole MS - 8 - 6 - 72
4 - SC - 7 - 5 - 71
5 - GA - 10 - 4 - 70
6 - KY - 8 - 8 - 66
7 - AR - 9 - 3 - 65
8 - BAMA - 8 - 4 - 63
9 - MO - 10 - 2 - 63
10 - FL - 7 - 4 - 57
11 - A&M - 8 - 5 - 56
12 - LSU - 6 - 3 - 50
13 - Vols - 5 - 2 - 45
14 - Vandy - 5 - 1 - 42

Lettermen Returning Rank

Rank - Team - LTR Return
1 - SC - 85.29%
2 - MS St. - 82.61%
3 - A&M - 75.00%
4 - AU - 73.61%
5 - LSU - 73.33%
6 - FL - 70.00%
7 - KY - 69.44%
8 - Vandy - 69.35%
9 - Ole MS - 68.97%
10 - GA - 68.92%
11 - AR - 68.75%
12 - BAMA - 68.57%
13 - MO - 61.90%
14 - Vols - 59.72%

OL Career Starts Rank

1 - SC - 113
2 - AU - 113
3 - A&M - 89
4 - Vandy - 83
5 - MS St. - 81
6 - LSU - 75
7 - KY - 74
8 - MO - 72
9 - FL - 66
10 - Ole MS - 61
11 - GA - 54
12 - AR - 51
13 - BAMA - 37
14 - Vols - 6

Yeah the Sports Source brought up the O-Line's experience/combined starts vs the rest of the SEC.

You see that stat and no offensive coordinator in the country's playbook is going to be very wide open.

I get it.

Deny deny deny away!

Lol did you not see this?

1 - SC - 113
2 - AU - 113
3 - A&M - 89
4 - Vandy - 83
5 - MS St. - 81
6 - LSU - 75
7 - KY - 74
8 - MO - 72
9 - FL - 66
10 - Ole MS - 61
11 - GA - 54
12 - AR - 51
13 - BAMA - 37
14 - Vols - 6

I think the frustration on the offensive side had helped Coach Jake into some of those calls.

It also has Worley doing some peculiar things that I haven't seen him do before.

Since when do we take a 7-step drop out of the shotgun!? He's was out of the back of the "protection" against Ole Miss so that he can't step up to throw or get the right timing on passes. That had me scratching my head.

I know. Worley in the gun, then dropping back more yards to let the DE use speed around the tackles seems stupid. Worley only keeping the ball against inferior competition isn't cool. Playcalling in the red zone has sucked as well.

I get it.

Deny deny deny away!

You just need a nap, it seems.

Reactions: 5 people

I noticed that too--drove me insane. That's definitely a coaching issue.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks to the OP for posting this. It is always nice when somebody takes the time to post real factual information relating to our struggles. Much better than the Eeyores who look to every bad loss as Armageddon and whine and moan.

We are recruiting well, but it takes time for those players to mature. It sucks, and I don't like it either, but we are going to have to stay patient.

I get it.

Deny deny deny away!

You are absolutely right!

If AD Hart had been willing to pay the amount necessary to hire you and the rest of your coaching staff from the Li'l Tykes Pee Wee Flag Football League, UT would in all likelihood be in the middle of the playoff discussion.

You are absolutely right!

If AD Hart had been willing to pay the amount necessary to hire you and the rest of your coaching staff from the Li'l Tykes Pee Wee Flag Football League, UT would in all likelihood be in the middle of the playoff discussion.

I am fairly sure agent orange is a troll from another team. Ignore.

SC is one of the most experienced in the league and isn't very good at all. They'll be rebuilding and very young next year.

We're so close to being on the verge of surpassing every team in the east if we keep the pace on the recruiting front like we have.

Guys enough with statistical facts..its all coaching!

:lolabove: I'm sure somebody on my ignore list has already said pretty much that.

The place where coaching comes into play is the fact that from 2008 through 2013 we had 4 different Head Coaches at the helm with I don't know how many different coordinators and position coaches.

That is a great recipe for being left with the young and inexperienced roster we have.

VN Store

Back