Some of you seem to be having troubles...

IluvdoubleD's

Sir Loves
Understanding exactly what's happening. I was excited as anyone to start the season and called for 8 wins. I didn't realize exactly HOW young and thin we were at oline. I knew we were thin, I knew we were young...but I didn't realize how long it would take to develop it. When Gilliam went down with ACL in the first game it was a season changer. There wasn't anyone to replace him. We have some kids we can throw to the wolves and that's what we wound up doing. Opposing teams are now disguising rushes and blitzes and throwing everything they have at the right side of the line. The kids in there now are going to take a little while to develop (at least half a season of experience at a minimum, which is very reasonable). In the mean time they are getting eaten alive.

Worley is a sitting duck because if he runs right he is running into the pressure, if he runs left he is driven into a variety of different scenarios, but the only thing he can do is throw it away every time, or try to make something happen. When he throws, there is a defender sitting back there ready to take the ball because there is only a limited amount of places he can go.

Our running game is as young as our oline. We are talking BARELY 18 and in some cases 17 yrs. old here guys. I can't think of a younger team to ever hit the field, if someone cares to look up what the youngest team to ever hit the field is...have at it, but I guarantee we are up there. There is NOTHING to be done until this oline gets some game time, gets into a rhythm with Worley and the rest, and then we get the run game involved.

So when you say that this is THE WORST OLINE in history (blah, blah, blah), what you mean to say is this is one of the most inexperienced. You aren't doing this kids any favors, you aren't doing the program any favors, and you aren't doing Butch any favors by coming on here and other online outlets and crying and throwing a temper tantrum. It makes me think you are actually just here to start **** and harass the program and our team. GET IT TOGETHER. Just come back when we start winning games. It will take a minute.

Reactions: 17 people
While in large part you are correct we have compounding issues that are not (just) the fault of a weak line. We can say the line outweighs them and I would agree but failing to address them will mean more of the same next year. We shall see.

I see no "compounding issues" any other national champion caliber team has. There is no perfect team. If we had an experienced and gelled line that was old enough to face off with the best teams in the land we would be in the hunt this year. Case closed.

Reactions: 2 people
The VOLS are incomplete without the "OL".

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I don't know about yall, but I am getting the sneaking suspicion we might have some problems at the O-line...I don't know I feel compelled to come to this conclusion..

Understanding exactly what's happening. I was excited as anyone to start the season and called for 8 wins. I didn't realize exactly HOW young and thin we were at oline. I knew we were thin, I knew we were young...but I didn't realize how long it would take to develop it. When Gilliam went down with ACL in the first game it was a season changer. There wasn't anyone to replace him. We have some kids we can throw to the wolves and that's what we wound up doing. Opposing teams are now disguising rushes and blitzes and throwing everything they have at the right side of the line. The kids in there now are going to take a little while to develop (at least half a season of experience at a minimum, which is very reasonable). In the mean time they are getting eaten alive.

Worley is a sitting duck because if he runs right he is running into the pressure, if he runs left he is driven into a variety of different scenarios, but the only thing he can do is throw it away every time, or try to make something happen. When he throws, there is a defender sitting back there ready to take the ball because there is only a limited amount of places he can go.

Our running game is as young as our oline. We are talking BARELY 18 and in some cases 17 yrs. old here guys. I can't think of a younger team to ever hit the field, if someone cares to look up what the youngest team to ever hit the field is...have at it, but I guarantee we are up there. There is NOTHING to be done until this oline gets some game time, gets into a rhythm with Worley and the rest, and then we get the run game involved.

So when you say that this is THE WORST OLINE in history (blah, blah, blah), what you mean to say is this is one of the most inexperienced. You aren't doing this kids any favors, you aren't doing the program any favors, and you aren't doing Butch any favors by coming on here and other online outlets and crying and throwing a temper tantrum. It makes me think you are actually just here to start **** and harass the program and our team. GET IT TOGETHER. Just come back when we start winning games. It will take a minute.

I stopped reading right there.

Reactions: 8 people
You realize that 3/5 of our starters on the OL are academic Seniors? And RBs are notoriously easy to play as a true Freshman?

We also have 3 academic Sophomores sitting on the bench?

We're playing true freshmen because our staff is choosing to. It makes for a good excuse so prop pieces like OP can come on here and ballyhoo about how young our team is.

If we were sucking with 3 RS JRs and 2 RS FR it wouldn't be as much of a headline as talking about how many true freshmen babies are out there y'all!

This is why Butch Jones is a good recruiter. He's a good salesman. We have yet to see the substance of the purchase but the sales pitch is mighty strong.

Reactions: 7 people

I think you have stated the obvious. This seems to be common knowledge and disputed only by a small vocal minority.

But for those that have a different opinion than what you expressed, I'm cool with that. It's a message board.

You realize that 3/5 of our starters on the OL are academic Seniors? And RBs are notoriously easy to play as a true Freshman?

We're playing true freshmen because our staff is choosing to. It makes for a good excuse so prop pieces like OP can come on here and ballyhoo about how young our team is.

If we were sucking with 3 RS JRs and 2 RS FR it wouldn't be as much of a headline as talking about how many true freshmen babies are out there y'all!

This is why Butch Jones is a good recruiter. He's a good salesman. We have yet to see the substance of the purchase but the sales pitch is mighty strong.

Are you saying our coach is choosing to sit better people so that the fans can ballyhoo? Are you seriously suggesting ballyhoo as a basis to makes such claims?

I said 6-6 with a bowl would be a tremendous season.
Many on here knew it would be a difficult season and eight wins was totally unrealistic.
I've been on board with Butch from the beginning and I will stay there. I've also said that it would take 4-5 years to win here. Patience might be a virtue but many are severely lacking, but understandably so.
Not a bad post but it's been said by me and many others, as well. You're either a fan or not. Waving flags and rah, rah, for the home team is fun and fine as long as you keep it real. :salute: :peace2:

GO VOLS!

I must admit, the word ballyhoo is very fun to say.

Reactions: 1 person

The experience we do have is all on the same side of the line and it isn't the right side. The sophomores we have are as inexperienced a group as the freshman. We might as well get the freshman going...believe me this will make a world of differences next year...unless you manage to break them down gang bullying them at such a young age. The running back IS good and makes plays..but not in rhythm and not with enough experience to make it consistent. We have one main problem...and it's a big one, and it's the reason we are where we are...why not help raise these young men to new hieghts instead of breaking them down?

Last edited:
By the way, expect to get crushed at bam a. We might pull of the impossible...we might!, but it will be one of those once in a generation games. It's not likely. So don't come on here lashing out at everyone and everything after it happens. Be happy and proud and dance in the streets if it does.

Inexperience has nothing to do with the lack of progress... except that younger players should progress faster if they're being coached up well. Thomas got worse. Kerbyson certainly got no better.

Reactions: 5 people

To start the '10 season, UT started two true Fr, Pope at C, Schofield at OG, and D Thomas at LT. To end the season, you had Thomas, the same two Fr (Fulton/James), a Fr Stone at C, and J Shaw.

That OL got progressively better over the course of that season. They allowed less sacks and opened more holes... and their only SEC level RB was Poole.

I don't blame the kids. They're trying. They're doing or trying to do what they're being coached to do.

My questions and doubts are about two things. Personnel decisions and technique. Those are doubts about the COACHING.

Jones says that they're getting better but we just can't see it. What if they ARE getting better at what they're being taught... but the techniques they are learning DO NOT WORK IN THE SEC?

Last year's OL regressed in production overall. Yes the rushing improved but 833 of their 2261 yds came against APSU, WKU, and USA- 278 ypg... then 159 per game against everyone else.

This year's line hasn't looked good from the start. So when do the "improvements" start being reflected on the field on game day? Could it be that it isn't a matter of effective learning but rather being taught things that are effective?

I'm on a phone now but I have to say there are only three ways to take your post and none are good. Let me ask you this, how long should it take to take some 17-18 yr old kids off the highschool field and put them on the field against the best football teams in the country? How long should it take when they are put on the field before they are ready and unexpectedly? Has there been NO progress since the beginning of the season?

Reactions: 1 person
Inexperience has nothing to do with the lack of progress... except that younger players should progress faster if they're being coached up well. Thomas got worse. Kerbyson certainly got no better.

Aren't some of the players playing a different position than there original position? And to your next post some of those games came with a true freshman qb that was not ready to play but was forced into action

Rarely is there a offensive or defensive lineman ever big enough and strong enough to start espically in the SEC. Last year they were in high school chasing cheerleaders. Since they were seniors in high school they were the biggest and strongest in high school football. Now they're the 18 year olds going up against 21 and 22 year olds who have been in a college weight trianing for 3 or 4 years.

At the beginning I said, 6-6 is what I expected from CBJ and Co if there was to be any overall progress in implementing his scheme at UT.

Three OOC wins in USU, Ark State, Chatt. Conference wins in Vandy, Kentucky, and at least one of Florida, SC, or Mizzou.

Also, no more blowouts.

As it stands, we are seriously in danger of going 4-8 this year, and we are looking at the real chance of back-to-back in-conference blowouts this week.

At this rate, I wonder if the offensive scheme that Butch/Bajakian are trying to implement will ever see any sort of consistent success here. If it takes six years to get enough players in the system to see even a modicum of improvement, and then you still have to deal with the injuries, the busts, and the normal attrition, how are we ever going to get enough players capable of being "coached" into implementing this offensive scheme?

Last edited:
You seriously are mentally challenged. How many start have those RS JR o-lineman had? Sorry, but you cant simulate playing against some of the best DLs in the country in practice.
Are you trying to say that the only way you can get that type of experience is to start? Kerbyson has played in 19 games before this season. Jackson played in 24 with 5 starts. Crowder 9/1, and Wiesman has played in 10 games. That's 62 games with 6 starts.

Not for much longer, we would be chasing the east if not for gilliam's injury. I give it till 2016. That's giving Jones all he needs to see consistency. You can blow it up all right now but consistency builds a winner, so if you are going to blow it up do it now as opposed to later. You got two options, blow it up, or build it up. So do it or stop *****ing and do what we need to do.

At this point, 4 W's seems obvious (if we can score on Vandy). I just hope we can keep the recruiting class going...

VN Store

Back