Serious question

mr3dboot

I'm looking for serious feedback about the following question:

IF we had an experienced O-line and IF we had a more experienced quarterback, based upon the play selection year to date, would experience alone have made enough of a difference to have won more games at this point in the season?

Cite examples if you like.

In my very primitive football mind (And I fully support Butch btw) our play selections to date seem repetitive and easy for opposing teams to plan for.

In some cases the lack of certain plays are equally as telling to opposing teams:
No quarterback sneaks
Few toss sweeps
I formation etc etc etc...

Thanks for your input.

An offensive game plan is defined by the plays that can be executed with a reasonably high level of confidence. Our Offensive Line play is such that our playbook is greatly limited. If you open up a playbook just to appease a fan base, you will worsen your situation.

Reactions: 6 people
An offensive game plan is defined by the plays that can be executed with a reasonably high level of confidence. Our Offensive Line play is such that our playbook is greatly limited. If you open up a playbook just to appease a fan base, you will worsen your situation.

What he said

IF we had an experienced O-line and IF we had a more experienced quarterback, based upon the play selection year to date, would experience alone have made enough of a difference to have won more games at this point in the season?

In my very primitive football mind (And I fully support Butch btw) our play selections to date seem repetitive and easy for opposing teams to plan for.

In some cases the lack of certain plays are equally as telling to opposing teams:
No quarterback sneaks
Few toss sweeps

Thanks for your input.

I'll take a stab at this. Experience, depth are an important part of the play selection process. No depth, inexperience will cause a coach to limit (or be limited) in play selection. Limited play selection means other teams can key in on our scheme and more easily exploit our weaknesses. Once our weaknesses are exploited, we are forced to become one dimensional or attempt plays which we are not suited for. This cycle causes our defense to be on the field too long and because we have depth issues on that side of the ball, our playmakers get winded. This allows for more splash play opportunity for our opponents in the late 3rd and 4th quarters.

Reactions: 4 people
I'll take a stab at this. Experience, depth are an important part of the play selection process. No depth, inexperience will cause a coach to limit (or be limited) in play selection. Limited play selection means other teams can key in on our scheme and more easily exploit our weaknesses. Once our weaknesses are exploited, we are forced to become one dimensional or attempt plays which we are not suited for. This cycle causes our defense to be on the field too long and because we have depth issues on that side of the ball, our playmakers get winded. This allows for more splash play opportunity for our opponents in the late 3rd and 4th quarters.

Sounds about right, to me.

IF ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

What MedicT said.

Reactions: 1 person
The play calling really is not a glaring issue for you guys IMO. Its in the execution which as you eluded to, is being carried out by youthful guys.

You're not going to get a lot of QB sneaks because Worley is not a proven runner. His O-line isn't good enough for that.

The "few toss sweeps" are because you're playing in downs that require much more yards to be gained. What good is a 3 yard out route when you its 3rd and 12? Everyone knows you have to throw it in that situation because they've obviously stopped the run game on 1st and 2nd down at that point. Gotta go deep.

Not sure how much I formation I've seen from y'all but to be fair, I'm not studying the run game formation yall use a whole lot.

In regards to this coming game, Worley's performance will be based on his protection. We've seen what Alabama can do when they know there is not a running qb threat. They'll drop to man coverage in the secondary, rush to put pressure up front and tackle well on the edges when you try to go to those quick short yardage out routes. If he's running for his life like Kenny Hill was, you're in for a long day.

Reactions: 1 person
What is that one Maxim y'all have though, "make the breaks go your way" or something like that. You'll have to capitalize on every mistake they make and be incredibly efficient at all 3 phases of the game to play with Alabama. Otherwise Lane will put the speed limit up on you the same as he did us.

It just sucks. I wish y'all the best though honestly.

Reactions: 3 people
It starts with the O line play which consist of guys inexperienced. Next and immobile QB who can't make positive plays in big games. Worley is who he is. He was picked in the lower echelon of the SEC QB's for a reason. When CBJ can address those areas this team may win enough to go to Bowl.

On 4th and one half yd. that long slow deep handoff that lost 5 yds. was dumb. My 8 yr. old even asked why they ran that as they would have ran a sneak in his pee wee league. I guess they can't even trust Peterman to run a sneak. Good news is they did line him up under center though. With him they would definitely lose out....bad.

On 4th and one half yd. that long slow deep handoff that lost 5 yds. was dumb. My 8 yr. old even asked why they ran that as they would have ran a sneak in his pee wee league. I guess they can't even trust Peterman to run a sneak. Good news is they did line him up under center though. With him they would definitely lose out....bad.
The OC chose to run behind 2nd team guard who hadn't worked up a sweat prior to play.

It's 4th and one.......if I was king I would run off balance line (guard,tackle,tackle), bring in a big fullback and hand to Hurd off tackle

We sure have a lot of serious questions around here. Has anyone ever asked a "non serious question"?

On the play calling front, it is not how many plays you have it is how good you run them.

I cannot remember which FL QB it was but I heard him on a radio show discussing the Spurrier teams of the 90's. His comment was that the FL teams of the 90's had about 15 base plays that they ran over and over from different formations. It was not that they fooled anyone they just ran the plays to perfection.

All said and done, there are some areas of our team that needs improving and that will happen. At this time play calling is just about as difficult as playing QB, the offense simply cannot function with the OL play we are getting now. I am surprised that the offensive blocking is so terrible and showing no evidence of improvement. The defense is playing championship football even though they have to stay on the field for 2/3rd of the game. I am convinced that if the OL would give us enough time to get a play in action the rest of the offense would look much better. I do not mean to be beating our young men up, but that segment of our team is really bad

No quarterback sneaks
Few toss sweeps

Thanks for your input.

Our quarterback is a Senior in his second year of starting. That's as much experience as most college qb's. Experience alone would not have made a difference. As bad as the OL is Justin Worley is very limited as a quarterback in the SEC. CBJ greatest failure to date was his inability to recognize what he had at QB and go all out to land a difference maker in the 2014 class.

VN Store

Back