How far did Dooley set us back?

Face

VolNation Con Man
I remember when Kiffin left, one of the big discussions was about how far his exit set back the program. Most people thought the full rebuilding job would take 2-4 years.

Then Dooley camp and and dropped a hot, steamy deuce all over the program.

How far did that set us back?

The success of Ole Miss and Mississippi State have many Vol fans, including myself, jealous. I want us to be the team that pulls it together and goes on a historic run. We, as a fan base and football program have gone through more than any other in recent years, yet remain loyal and supportive with game attendance, TV ratings, and monetary support through donations and purchases. We deserve better.

We see Butch in year two and feel we should be further along. I would agree, except we're not starting from square one with Butch.

We're starting from square negative 3 or 4.

This is more than a rebuilding/remodeling project. We've got to clear the land, dig the foundation, pour and lay the footing, and so on.

The sad fact is we're still in for some growing pains. The good thing is, I don't think Butch sleeps and he's recruiting at an elite level.

For the millionth time, be patient. I think mid way through next year we'll be out of the Dooley hole and will begin progressing and see this staff's work pay off.

Reactions: 20 people
Why would we HOPE that he set us back?
And who's your team?

Most UT fans are putting all of their hopes in Butch Jones and convinced themselves that Dooley is the sole reason the team is where it is on 10/19/2014.

If Dooley isn't the sole reason, them it may mean that Butch isn't the next coming of General Neyland.

Reactions: 5 people
Don't know who you are or where you came from, but you clearly have no idea what went on here from 2010-2012

He's an aubum and for some reason spends time on a vol message board acting like superior knowledge of our team. Color me confused.

I remember when Kiffin left, one of the big discussions was about how far his exit set back the program. Most people thought the full rebuilding job would take 2-4 years.

Then Dooley camp and and dropped a hot, steamy deuce all over the program.

How far did that set us back?

The success of Ole Miss and Mississippi State have many Vol fans, including myself, jealous. I want us to be the team that pulls it together and goes on a historic run. We, as a fan base and football program have gone through more than any other in recent years, yet remain loyal and supportive with game attendance, TV ratings, and monetary support through donations and purchases. We deserve better.

We see Butch in year two and feel we should be further along. I would agree, except we're not starting from square one with Butch.

We're starting from square negative 3 or 4.

This is more than a rebuilding/remodeling project. We've got to clear the land, dig the foundation, pour and lay the footing, and so on.

The sad fact is we're still in for some growing pains. The good thing is, I don't think Butch sleeps and he's recruiting at an elite level.

For the millionth time, be patient. I think mid way through next year we'll be out of the Dooley hole and will begin progressing and see this staff's work pay off.
Dooley got us behind 1 year at best I think that butch has a 4 year project after this year he has 2 more.

Reactions: 2 people
Why would we HOPE that he set us back?

Because that is your only potential defense to the fact that Butch Jones has accomplished next to nothing on the actual field of play to date. If you convince yourself that Dooley somehow screwed you up so badly that it set new historical definitions for "setting us back", then it gives you an avenue to convince yourselves that Butch just "needs more time".

Dooley did not set you back anywhere near as bad as some of you like to hope.

Dooley is no longer the problem. He recruited reasonably well while at TN. Granted he had the yr without an OL recruit but overall his classes were in the Top 20 which does not translate to the mess so many want to say he created. This is Butch' team now and has been for almost two years. The fact is Butch has recruited lights out but his in game coaching is below average. :no:

Reactions: 4 people
Because that is your only potential defense to the fact that Butch Jones has accomplished next to nothing on the actual field of play to date. If you convince yourself that Dooley somehow screwed you up so badly that it set new historical definitions for "setting us back", then it gives you an avenue to convince yourselves that Butch just "needs more time".

OK Dr. Phil. But maybe he did. Please don't act like you know everything. That's unbecoming.

Reactions: 4 people
Dooley... recruited reasonably well while at TN. Granted he had the yr without an OL recruit

Perhaps you should revisit the recruiting rundowns. Between misses, brain farts, and dismissals, Dooley left us with a mess.

Reactions: 12 people
To echo others in this thread, stop having a victim mentality, and focus on what we have now. What we have now is recruiting well, but I'm not seeing the coaching/development on the offensive side of the ball, versus what we are seeing on the defensive side of the ball. The only coaches on the offensive side of the ball with SEC experience is Azzanni and Gillespie, and the rest have been Butch's guys since Central Michigan. They haven't developed talent at the SEC level, and it shows. That being said, if they don't show improvement by year 3, Butch will have to make some changes on that side of the ball if he wishes to move forward past year 4.

Reactions: 1 person
Dooley got us behind 1 year at best I think that butch has a 4 year project after this year he has 2 more.

With this being said it's done and no need to talk about it no more what we got is a coach that is showing improvement and a hard work mentality and he can find Tallent we as fans need to practice patients and let them do there job cause every situation is different for every team. Are's is he is the 4th coach since 08 he needs fans to understand and let them do there job Mississippi State's coach is in his 6 or 7th year .. patients is a virtue and us fans need it and we need to do our part and stay positive on Vol nation cause I am afraid the negative attitude will start to affect recruiting.

Last edited:
Dooley is no longer the problem. He recruited reasonably well while at TN. Granted he had the yr without an OL recruit but overall his classes were in the Top 20 which does not translate to the mess so many want to say he created. This is Butch' team now and has been for almost two years. The fact is Butch has recruited lights out but his in game coaching is below average. :no:

Dooley did not recruit well. Its a myth. He was able to appease us with grabbing 4 star players no other SEC teams wanted. We remained high in the rankings but never amounted to anything. He especially did this on the D side of the ball.

Reactions: 1 person
dooley did not recruit well. Its a myth. He was able to appease us with grabbing 4 star players no other sec teams wanted. We remained high in the rankings but never amounted to anything. he especially did this on the d side of the ball.

this

On the Sports Source Show this morning in Knoxville...they showed the average total starts per SEC Team after 3 years was around 70 going into this season....TENNESSEE's was 6! The "fact" is Dooley left the cupboard bare. Plenty of us with a clue said back in 2012 this was going to haunt us and here it is.

VN Store

Back