Why didn't Butch sign a QB '14 class?

madbamahater

I wondered then and still wonder now.

Don't you always sign a QB every class?

Even if it's not "your guy" surely one kid was out there out of thousands that can play this style better, if the style isn't going to change.

The style not changing scares me. Because it means the coaches don't know how to adjust or be diverse......

You could put Peyton Manning, Tee Martin, Michael Vick, Cam Newton or whoever else behind this o-line and it still wouldn't matter.

It baffles me how fans don't seem to understand the problem with the offense. It can be I form, it can be single win, it can be triple option, it can be read option, it can be west coast, etc, etc, it doesn't matter. If your offensive line sucks(this badly), your offense is going to be bad. Plain and simple.

Reactions: 29 people

Even if it's not "your guy" surely one kid was out there out of thousands that can play this style better, if the style isn't going to change.

The style not changing scares me. Because it means the coaches don't know how to adjust or be diverse......

one word ignorance.

You could put Peyton Manning, Tee Martin, Michael Vick, Cam Newton or whoever else behind this o-line and it still wouldn't matter.

It baffles me how fans don't seem to understand the problem with the offense. It can be I form, it can be single win, it can be triple option, it can be read option, it can be west coast, etc, etc, it doesn't matter. If your offensive line sucks(this badly), your offense is going to be bad. Plain and simple.

OK, so then tell us why he didn't sign 10 O-linemen, then. Why didn't he sign more than 1 JUCO? He knew he had to replace all of his starters and if, as you say, none of the other players matter if the O-line is bad, then he probably should have signed more of those guys, right?

Reactions: 10 people
Worley WILL NOT RUN the ball???? Why, everybody we play has a QB that will run the ball,,,ie: 2nd string QB at Florida,,against us....Bo Wallace @ Ole Miss, Kitchens @ ARK State....Mauk @ Mizzou will, so will Bama's QB...At least the 2 plays Peterman was in he ran for 9 1/2 yards..Please let him keep and run at least once a quarter....or put Peterman in for that reason....

OK, so then tell us why he didn't sign 10 O-linemen, then. Why didn't he sign more than 1 JUCO? He knew he had to replace all of his starters and if, as you say, none of the other players matter if the O-line is bad, then he probably should have signed more of those guys, right?

Expected the JUCO he did sign to be better than what he is and not to lose Gilliam in week 1, I guess?

Not sure.

But not sure what difference people think a different QB would make.

Reactions: 1 person
Worley WILL NOT RUN the ball???? Why, everybody we play has a QB that will run the ball,,,ie: 2nd string QB at Florida,,against us....Bo Wallace @ Ole Miss, Kitchens @ ARK State....Mauk @ Mizzou will, so will Bama's QB...At least the 2 plays Peterman was in he ran for 9 1/2 yards..Please let him keep and run at least once a quarter....or put Peterman in for that reason....

Peterman takes more shots per time played than anyone alive. His parents have to be scared to death when he enters a game. He almost became a concussed player on his two runs.

Riley Ferguson hadn't quit yet?

Reactions: 13 people

The way Dooley left this team, Butch has to fill a bunch of needs. I would say right off hand O-linemen. Then have some quality back up in places. Dobbs has redshirted this year so I would say he will start next year.

It's not just about this year. I wouldn't expect a true freshman QB to walk in and start this year.

But next season will be CBJ's 3rd and we're likely be starting a QB who couldn't even beat our Worley. Year three is when we should be ready to make some noise, but in order to do so we'll have to rely on Peterman, Dobbs or a true freshman. And if we are still struggling next year just to win 6 games, then CBJ may very well be on the hot seat.

Expected the JUCO he did sign to be better than what he is and not to lose Gilliam in week 1, I guess?

Not sure.

But not sure what difference people think a different QB would make.

HmmmÂ…so he was wagering his whole offense for the season on two guys? Wow, you make him sound utterly incompetent.

The Juco lineman thing is getting old. There isn't a top program playing a 1st year JuCo lineman. Even the top Juco lineman from last year are not starting and very few are on the two deep. Go do a little research.

As for QB on signing day we had 4 and the thought was Dobbs or Ferguson would step up. Well Ferguson didn't want to put in the work and left and Dobbs still has issues with accuracy and I'm being nice.

Sine the explosion of message boards UT has been on a decline. We may have the most negative fan base in the world. Well at least the message board fans.

Reactions: 4 people
It's not just about this year. I wouldn't expect a true freshman QB to walk in and start this year.

But next season will be CBJ's 3rd and we're likely be starting a QB who couldn't even beat our Worley. Year three is when we should be ready to make some noise, but in order to do so we'll have to rely on Peterman, Dobbs or a true freshman. And if we are still struggling next year just to win 6 games, then CBJ may very well be on the hot seat.

I think next year we will safely be able to blame BOTH the QB and the OL for our losses. I don't see either area getting better. It's foolish to think this line will mature that much next year. They may only allow 3-4 sacks per game but it will still be ugly. As for Peterman, well he just looks so frail and scared out there that I really hope he is the backup to Dobbs next year. Dobbs MAY be able to run some next year.

He swung on a couple highly rated QBs and missed. Since he had Riley redshirted he felt good about the QB situation, it was go big or go home. We missed so we went after other positions of greater need and brought in a good haul rather than waste a scholarship on a QB they did not think would benefit the team at all

Reactions: 8 people
The Juco lineman thing is getting old. There isn't a top program playing a 1st year JuCo lineman. Even the top Juco lineman from last year are not starting and very few are on the two deep. Go do a little research.

As for QB on signing day we had 4 and the thought was Dobbs or Ferguson would step up. Well Ferguson didn't want to put in the work and left and Dobbs still has issues with accuracy and I'm being nice.

Sine the explosion of message boards UT has been on a decline. We may have the most negative fan base in the world. Well at least the message board fans.

I beg to differ on the fan base. Any group of fans, supportive of their team, would complain after seeing such a poor product as the performance of this offense. I know we have 2 freshmen OL starters, but the other guys (along with several sitting on the bench) are in their second year under Mahoney. Development of talent is a responsibility of the OL coach.

Also, IMO the fan base has been extremely supportive with the noise in the stadium. It seems like there was some checkerboard theme going on at the Florida game too. If I'm not mistaken, that was a big show of support from the fans. They cannot be blamed for what is happening on the offensive side of the ball.

Reactions: 3 people

Ok so how do you know he didn't try and get more OL? Show me some proof that BJ didn't try for more OL. He tried to get some good QBs but they didn't commit. Those things happen. You cannot get every player you want. No coach can. Your pathetic attempt at criticism is sickening.

You seem to be another person who believes he knows more than the coaches do. CBJ signed 6 offensive lineman between 2013-2014. He also has signed many DTs that he might use as OL.

i am so sick of seeing people blindly blame this dumpster fire entirely on our line. Yes they are bad but Worley make them look 100 times worse than they are. Bo Wallace was running for his life pretty much all night long, got hit plenty and was sacked multiple times. But guess what he did, he moved around and made plays with his feet. Worley has absolutely killed us by just standing there like a statue and taking more sacks than we should be giving up. They are BAD bc they are young but he has personally been responsible for at least 10 sacks so far, maybe more.

We need someone who can move and its just that simple. You can't be this young on the o line and have a guy who cannot and will not move around.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back