Observation, question about next year

FLSTF-VOL

Blood runs ORANGE!
Who really thinks next year will be any better? Before you answer take this into account. New QB, same offensive line, losing the heart of the defense in AJ Johnson.

QB will be the biggest problem we have. I don't think either Peterman or Dobbs is good enough. Play a true freshman? If so its gonna be another "wait till next" year.

Anyone really expect this current oline to be better? If not, do we start freshman again? If so, see above.

Defense may be ok, but man can AJ be replaced? Leadership.

Are we simply gonna see a perpetual "wait till next year" scenario from here on out?

Reactions: 1 person
Who really thinks next year will be any better? Before you answer take this into account. New QB, same offensive line, losing the heart of the defense in AJ Johnson.

QB will be the biggest problem we have. I don't think either Peterman or Dobbs is good enough. Play a true freshman? If so its gonna be another "wait till next" year.

Anyone really expect this current oline to be better? If not, do we start freshman again? If so, see above.

Are we simply gonna see a perpetual "wait till next year" scenario from here on out?

Must get 4 OL JUCO transfers

I believe they are trying to red shirt Dobbs for a reason. Be it weight room, film study, etc... He will have two years under him. Believe me this kid knows the system and will definitely know how to run it.
As for AJ, wish we could just clone him and have 11 AJ's on defense. He will be missed for sure.
Hope Curt stays for his senior seaSon. He would become the leader.
Talent wise, no drop off overall, actually it get better.
Like fine wine. It gets better as it ages!!

GO BIG ORANGE!!!

Dont know why u think OL wont get better. I think a year of experience will make a tremendous amt of diff. in their play. Defense will be as good or better even with AJ gone. We do pick up some tremendous talent for depth and Curt and Bates will step in for AJ, not to mention improvement of TK,jr.

I think Dobbs will show much more potential next year than worley. Worley is a better leader at this point, but Dobbs will produce better results than Worley has.

Next year we be lookin at 8-4 or better!!

Yes the team will be better. The OL will be more experienced. This years performance means nothing for next year. If Dobbs wins the starting job he can move and will likely have drastically improved from his freshman year.

I think the defense will be fine. AJ will be missed but CBJ has brought in some great talent.

Yes I think the OL will be better. Anyone saying they cannot get better is just living in a fallacious world.

we got jennings and dormady coming in...i like both of them...but will have to see what coaching can do

good player? maybe, total douche? yes definitely

edit...talking about claw

Tell me more bout the doucheness he simply won, i guess you didn't like he was a California boy. Tell the truth ya wanted a southern boy to quarterback the Vols..

we got jennings and dormady coming in...i like both of them...but will have to see what coaching can do

Is coach Jake responsible for QBs; if so, I don't have a lot of confidence. Who is the guy who works with Worley on the sidelines during the game? Is he a GA?

My hope for our OL next year is that they (like our defensive starters from last season) can make a big jump in their second season as starters. And hopefully one of the newcomers, Blair, or Mosley can contribute and/or add quality depth and competition.

I don't think next year will be any better. An offensive line as bad as what we got can't improve enough in one year to make much difference. My memory isn't that great but I don't recall seeing a offensive line this bad in D1 in my lifetime. I think it's 2016 when we break above a 6 win season. And that's "IF" Butch Jones can keep recruiting like he is and hold everything together. I believe everything is being held together by a thread. Im expecting to lose Worley to injury within the next two games and might lose the backup as well. If that happens the vols don't win another game this year. Not even vandy.

Ok, let's start from the top.

My expectation was 5-7 for this year (a little disappointing, but realistic) with a hope of 6-6 and a bowl game.

Our schedule next year is much the same (essentially trading Ole-Miss for Arkansas), but as the OP points out, we have some plusses and minuses which makes predicting next year impossible. Realistically, a reasonable goal for next year would be 7-5 for me. Do I like saying that number out loud? No, but I think it's accurate considering everything.

I hated losing to UF and yesterday's game hurt. I'm not a Kool-Aid drinker, nor a Nega-Vol. I'm a realist. Reality is that Butch walked into a bad situation and has made some improvements (recruiting, defense, team morale, discipline), but has done some things (or not done, yet anyway) that has raised some concerns (OL regression, offensive coordination, some game management calls).

All in all, grin and bear it. Wait until the end of 2015 and then pass all of the judgement you want. I don't enjoy this and frankly I've always been concerned that CBJ may have rode the coat tails of Brian Kelly but he must be given adequate time to fix the PROGRAM. 1.5 years isn't enough time to fix the raping we been receiving for nigh on a decade.

Ok, let's start from the top.

My expectation was 5-7 for this year (a little disappointing, but realistic) with a hope of 6-6 and a bowl game.

Our schedule next year is much the same (essentially trading Ole-Miss for Arkansas), but as the OP points out, we have some plusses and minuses which makes predicting next year impossible. Realistically, a reasonable goal for next year would be 7-5 for me. Do I like saying that number out loud? No, but I think it's accurate considering everything.

I hated losing to UF and yesterday's game hurt. I'm not a Kool-Aid drinker, nor a Nega-Vol. I'm a realist. Reality is that Butch walked into a bad situation and has made some improvements (recruiting, defense, team morale, discipline), but has done some things (or not done, yet anyway) that has raised some concerns (OL regression, offensive coordination, some game management calls).

All in all, grin and bear it. Wait until the end of 2015 and then pass all of the judgement you want. I don't enjoy this and frankly I've always been concerned that CBJ may have rode the coat tails of Brian Kelly but he must be given adequate time to fix the PROGRAM. 1.5 years isn't enough time to fix the raping we been receiving for nigh on a decade.

Like for using "nigh".

Look for JRM, Maggitt, Kelly, Bates, Barnett, Sutton and Mackenzie to take over. We will miss AJ big time but we have leadership.

Our line will improve. Robertson and Jackson will only get better.

Dobbs will have a year playing and a year practicing under his belt. He will keep it and add a threat to that read option.

Our D-line will cause turnovers. Our db's are licking their chops with Tuttle, Mackenzie, Barnett and Maggitt up front.

VN Store

Back