rebuilding fatigue

northknoxvol

Senior Member (BFL)
It's what we all have.....we have heard since 2009 that we need to wait for a brighter tommorrow......each coach comes in and promises that in a year or 2 we will see improvement....sooner or later you got to find a way to take what you have and win

Reactions: 2 people
It's what we all have.....we have heard since 2009 that we need to wait for a brighter tommorrow......each coach comes in and promises that in a year or 2 we will see improvement....sooner or later you got to find a way to take what you have and win

You're right and it's been tougher because we've watched other programs have instant success with new hires. I'm all to familiar with the litany of reasons why it's been easier for other coaches to turn thing around quickly elsewhere but after awhile that all starts to sound somewhat hollow. Not that I want him back, but Kiffin took us out of the losing season ranks in one season so I know it can be done.

Reactions: 3 people
Kiffin also got left with a lot more talent.

We have 20+ freshman playing significant minutes in the best conference in college football.

"Rebuild fatigue" is a perfect phrase for where most of us are. I know the reasons are legit and I know it's a process where we have to take our lumps, but my God it's gotten old.

Reactions: 8 people
I'd be ok if we were improving as the season moves along.

But we're not. The defense is playing good ball for the most part, but offensively we're getting worse if anything.

1. We are much better with recruiting and young talent on team.

2. We are tons better on defense.

3. We are horridly pathetic on offense with no signs of getting better, only worse. We show no signs of effort to fix anything on offense either.

#3 has me fatigued and increasingly turning more gray headed.

I agree, it's been tough to sit around and wait for so long for wins. It's 2014. We still suck.

Good point. However, there are not many teams that can beat Ok, Ol Miss & Ala. Now Ga & Fla were beatable. Imagine how different our state of mind would be if UT had beaten both or either Ga or Fla. Now, for this season at least, things feel hopeless.

Reactions: 2 people
"Rebuild fatigue" is a perfect phrase for where most of us are. I know the reasons are legit and I know it's a process where we have to take our lumps, but my God it's gotten old.

And I believe this is why Butch is getting the shi*** end of the stick. He is going to get the time he needs but not before pulling his hair out over a crazy fan base.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree op. I imagine a lot of the fans are like me. I'm very tired of defending the staff. They might not be the best staff out there, but at least I see we are on the right track. Our hands are tied even if we thought they weren't. The very worse thing we can do to UT is another change in staffs. Time...time... Time...is all we need at this point. But 'time' is getting old.

Reactions: 4 people

Stop hiring coaches that might be a good one or one that needs more on the job training.

Last edited:
Good point. However, there are not many teams that can beat Ok, Ol Miss & Ala. Now Ga & Fla were beatable. Imagine how different our state of mind would be if UT had beaten both or either Ga or Fla. Now, for this season at least, things feel hopeless.

not hopeless here, D looks much better, should have beat uf, I'm patient, hate losing, but CBJ is recruiting hard, let him restock before you run em off.
Go Vols!

This is untrue. It has been the fan base that has credited the 2nd year improvement plan.

Furthermore, the fan base measures improvement by won loss record and not actual improvement. To Jones credit There has been improvement in several area, but not in w/l record.

News flash this season is not over yet. OL has been a disappointment but what did you expect after losing the entire lot and with Attrition (Posey & Carr).

This is a perfect example where the yr 2 syndrome does not apply. QB position I think CBJ has stayed to loyal to Worley. The kid has heart, but cannot throw on the run and is a great Pro Style QB.

How did CBJ not understand that the OL would be a priority when he came it makes one wonder. Too many holes to fill.

RS Dobbs is a mistake IMO. Playing him now is just an after thought. He should have been in early this year.

Everything I have seen and most will agree that Peterman will never cut it in the SEC maybe because of the Coaching or because he cannot anticipate or see the field clearly.

It is quit obvious we need to recruit 4 or 5* OL talent to get us jump started for next year. Why this has not happen makes one wonder.

Stop hiring coaches that need might be a good one or one that needs more on the job training.

I think you are under the delusion that Tennessee is as good a coaching gig as Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia, Texas, Ohio St, or USC. It's not.

I could not agree more. Which is why the FL game was the most important game for Butch to win since he has been at UT. I say FL because it was at home, FL was not as good as GA and FL gave the game to TN much like they did last year. If Butch wins that one we only need 2 more to make a bowl this year. Now, looking at the schedule and the way the team is playing everyone knows we very well might not win 3 more and miss a bowl again...

And I believe this is why Butch is getting the shi*** end of the stick. He is going to get the time he needs but not before pulling his hair out over a crazy fan base.

Butch probably ignores the fan base better than Dooley....

Dooley tried to convince fans with stats. 4.19 seconds to throw a ball. Opponents + 20 yard gains. Showers after game stats. History lessons. Dooley did not care about winning in his 2nd year. The only thing he cared about was overseeing the completion of the football complex.

At least CBJ tells the truth without throwing players under the bus.

OBTW Kiffin was also a BS er. His Promise was I can get you on Probation in in less than 2 yrs

Last edited:
I think alot of people forget that Kiffen lost about 15 players on that 2009 team.And that was before the season started. And he still won 7 games and almost beat Florida with Tebow and the National Champion Alabama. Now thats coaching!

I think you are under the delusion that Tennessee is as good a coaching gig as Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia, Texas, Ohio St, or USC. It's not.

You may be , but I am not. There were better coaches out there willing to take this job when Hamilton hired Dooley, Hamilton was stupid and got got duped into hiring one of Sexton's clowns. He insulted Gary Patterson, and left Brian Kelly to go after Dooley. He also refused to talk to Cutcliffe. We are paying for poor choices made in the past. We need to learn from them and not make them in the future.

We're also coming off the worst coach rotation in football history 4 coaches in 6 years, I mean come on. But CBJ has us in the right direction, I just hope to god we have a good QB recruit coming in that can make some plays. And some big ugly's up front that can block someone. Like .... block anyone .... at all ...

I think alot of people forget that Kiffen lost about 15 players on that 2009 team.And that was before the season started. And he still won 7 games and almost beat Florida with Tebow and the National Champion Alabama. Now thats coaching!

Kiffin was a liar and A Cheater. Furthermore, was never a successful Head Football Coach. Anywhere.

We're also coming off the worst coach rotation in football history 4 coaches in 6 years, I mean come on. But CBJ has us in the right direction, I just hope to god we have a good QB recruit coming in that can make some plays. And some big ugly's up front that can block someone. Like .... block anyone .... at all ...

Plus all the staff changes in the last 4 years.

You may be , but I am not. There were better coaches out there willing to take this job when Hamilton hired Dooley, Hamilton was stupid and got got duped into hiring one of Sexton's clowns. He insulted Gary Patterson, and left Brian Kelly to go after Dooley. He also refused to talk to Cutcliffe. We are paying for poor choices made in the past. We need to learn from them and not make them in the future.

That was then past. What is going on now. Change again. Don't see it. Yes. Brian Kelly was a loss. So was Patterson but that was a short coming on the AD. Bargin basement blue light special.

Should have taken an interim route versus hiring Dooley.

Those of us who have been down this long, painful road previously during the Johnny Majors era have a perspective that many of you younger fans simply do not possess. You don't have to accept my word for it, and many of you won't, but Butch will get this job done . . . as long as the task at hand does not break him and as long as he continues to receive the necessary support from the powers that be at UT.

From what I have seen, Butch is doing everything he is suppose to be doing. He is working his butt off.. (I don't know when he sleeps) He is getting the best recruits. He is welcoming the old players back. The WORST thing you can do is replace personnel. That is a major reason why we are in this mess. I am giving the man till the end of season 2016 and evaluating then. He is working hard and deserves it.

Those of us who have been down this long, painful road previously during the Johnny Majors era have a perspective that many of you younger fans simply do not possess. You don't have to accept my word for it, and many of you won't, but Butch will get this job done . . . as long as the task at hand does not break him and as long as he continues to receive the necessary support from the powers that be at UT.

I remember the Battle to Majors Drought well. This one is different and the fan base has changed. Took 3 years to get to bowl game. Second season was 5-5-1.

VN Store

Back