bowl game or bust: What's your gameplan

DD4ME

Zoo Keeper
This staff will take a monumental credibility hit if it fails to make a bowl. I believe that all but the most ardent of supporters would agree on that front.

So if you were coach Jones and Co. what do you do to assure that doesn't transpire?

Reactions: Weezer
For me I start Peterman against Alabama and say that Worley is banged up, whether he is or not. If he isn't too badly banged up I make sure he knows it's partly to protect him for the home stretch and our chances.

Then I roll out more option FB than VN can shake a stick at with Peterman against Alabama. I see if any of it will hold up and soften our opportunities for the traditional run game. I also add in 10-15 wildcat plays just to further add garbage for remaining teams to chew on. Lastly I go for every aggressive play call I can even if I am down 50. Onside kicks, going for it on 4th as long as we are past midfield etc. By the end of the game I have some new material to use as an extended gameplan against the beatable teams and the other teams are scratching their head.

I agree. Might as well make it interesting at least.

The way we're playing now I don't see how we get a win against schizo Missouri or SC. SC is looking for payback after last year and they're more talented than us. I don't know how we'll score on Missouri. Maybe go for it on every 4th down?

Reactions: 1 person
I honestly think Butch has made the decision to sacrifice this season for next if necessary. Now, I don't necessarily blame him for that, if next season is much better. But, it is a risk. All the prognosticators said before the season we would be in the 4-8. 5-7 range. And, we will be. I'm not happy about it, but it's true. He's using these early years to try to manage expectations and develop the team in the weight room and on fundamentals. Recruit in some more talent, and make a bowl game the goal again next year. He's always been a play it safe, follow the odds type of coach.

While I hate where we are right now, I guess I can live with the above. I have one problem though. Coach says he wants a passionate team not an emotional one. I think in the SEC most successful coaches have actually learned how to use high emotion as a weapon rather than ignoring it. I truly get what coach is saying, I just think he's missing out on a great weapon that if used properly, can help the team get some of the close, challenging wins. :twocents:

The way we're playing now I don't see how we get a win against schizo Missouri or SC. SC is looking for payback after last year and they're more talented than us. I don't know how we'll score on Missouri. Maybe go for it on every 4th down?

So if you were in control what do you try. Let's assume you are right and we are virtually doomed what could mixing it up hurt.

How many of you play Worley?

Peteman has shown NOTHING(other than he's not a good QB) when he's played. I don't play him unless absolutely necessary. Hell, I'd rather play one of the Berry bros. or AJ at QB before Peterman.

I have found a copy of Bajakian playbook:

images

Reactions: 8 people
I honestly think Butch has made the decision to sacrifice this season for next if necessary. Now, I don't necessarily blame him for that, if next season is much better. But, it is a risk. All the prognosticators said before the season we would be in the 4-8. 5-7 range. And, we will be. I'm not happy about it, but it's true. He's using these early years to try to manage expectations and develop the team in the weight room and on fundamentals. Recruit in some more talent, and make a bowl game the goal again next year. He's always been a play it safe, follow the odds type of coach.

While I hate where we are right now, I guess I can live with the above. I have one problem though. Coach says he wants a passionate team not an emotional one. I think in the SEC most successful coaches have actually learned how to use high emotion as a weapon rather than ignoring it. I truly get what coach is saying, I just think he's missing out on a great weapon that if used properly, can help the team get some of the close, challenging wins. :twocents:
Even he said a bowl game was the objective this year. He's already treading in dangerous waters this season for recruiting and fan buy in. Just my 2 cents but he needs a bowl game this year to keep the train rolling in the right direction.

Peteman has shown NOTHING(other than he's not a good QB) when he's played. I don't play him unless absolutely necessary. Hell, I'd rather play one of the Berry bros. or AJ at QB before Peterman.

Cool. I wouldn't mind that. Just make it fun for what will likely be a crap fest. I don't think Worley is the same guy that beat USC anymore.

Put in Peterman the rest of the year for experience. You can stick a fork in this season.

Reactions: 3 people

Peterman has been giving 38 minutes of playing time. Please tell me how he has shown us what he is capable of.

Reactions: 1 person
Try Peterman for a half. Stick with him if it is going ok. If he falters, Dobbs. It may as well be a guy who can help us next year @ this point. We need to make the Peterman/Dobbs decision during the rest of this season. Then throw in the newcomers during spring and summer. Worley has been VALIANT, but he's not done enough to warrant wasting the rest of this season.

This staff will take a monumental credibility hit if it fails to make a bowl. I believe that all but the most ardent of supporters would agree on that front.

So if you were coach Jones and Co. what do you do to assure that doesn't transpire?

Sadly, I don't see anyway we that we can make it to a bowl game this year

Try Peterman for a half. Stick with him if it is going ok. If he falters, Dobbs. It may as well be a guy who can help us next year @ this point. We need to make the Peterman/Dobbs decision during the rest of this season. Then throw in the newcomers during spring and summer. Worley has been VALIANT, but he's not done enough to warrant wasting the rest of this season.
I'm definately for this in the Alabama game. Only after seeing what they can do would I continue with it though. If they are clearly worse than Worley then I still want Worley against the possible wins. Basically I go with the Simms/Bray format. Hopefully with better results.

Also I run at least 5 5 wide sets just for pure wtf factor. Like I said it might be bloody but I make every team on the schedule say wtf.

Reactions: Weezer and nash101
Peterman has been giving 38 minutes of playing time. Please tell me how he has shown us what he is capable of.

18 of 38 for 84 yds with 0 TDs and 2 INTs between last year and this year.

VN Store

Back