Last night sucked, but honestly it's the Florida game that still stings

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
Don't get me wrong, last night was an awful display of football, but if you didn't already expect that you need to brush up on your football knowledge. I predicted 6 points out of our offense, and I predicted a lot of griping about playcalling from myself and other fans. We only scored 3, and I griped about playcalling about twice as much as I thought I would. But overall, last night's loss doesn't bother me too much.

The Florida game is the telling loss for this staff. It becomes more inexcusable every week. I think if we had beaten Florida, we would all still feel ok about last night. We wouldn't be winless in the SEC, we would still be poised for a realistic 8-win season, we would have proven we can win the close games, and our only losses would have come to Top 10 teams. Last night would have been upsetting, but by now we would be laughing it off and still feeling confident about the direction we are heading.

As a result I've gone from" full-blown staff support" to "wait and see" with Butch and company. The fanbase melting down over last night shows exactly how pivotal games like the Florida game are. They are season changing games, and if Butch wants to have any success here he's going to have to figure out how to win them.

At this point 7-5 is realistic. If we don't at least accomplish 6-6 Butch and this staff are not cut out for this job. I'm ok with 6-6, I'm not ok with 5-7, and the Florida and 2013 Vandy losses have got to stop. I don't care if you have to open the playbook all the way to running linemen as fullbacks, Butch HAS to stop with the conservative crap and throw everything he has at pivotal games like Florida. That was an absolute must-win and Butch failed, and look at the fanbase now after losing a game we should have lost.

Reactions: 9 people
Every week Florida gets more and more embarrassed by other teams. Which really does sting. How could we not score one touchdown... Man I can't even think about it again.

7-5 is in no way realistic

It's very possible. After Alabama every game is winnable. I just don't think we win 3 of the 4. I think UK and Vandy are going to be the 2 most winnable; well losing to Vandy would be the worst loss since Memphis '96.

This is the kind of meltdown I'm talking about. Our last 4 games are EXTREMELY winnable. You wouldn't be saying anything is unrealistic if we had beaten Florida.

WE CAN'T SCORE POINTS

Has that escaped you all somehow?

Do you expect Sutton to have 3 pick sixes every week?

Reactions: 4 people
If we do then Butch is in over his head. We only went 5-7 last year because Worley went down. If we go 5-7 with Worley then we're going backwards.

People keep acting like SC and Mizzou are for sure wins, and I just don't see it. Both are more than capable of beating us. Plus this o-line is worse for us than not having Worley last year. And that's not going to get magically better in 5 games.

Yep. And our other losses:
-at top 10 ga with Gurley
-at OK who lost yesterday to a soon to be top 10 team because they couldn't kick an EP.
-at #3 Ole miss
-soon to be at home vs top 5 bama.

This says nothing about bajak, Butch, Worley, OL, or all the freshmen. Fla game hurt. We weren't supposed to win the rest. Not at this time.
Losing to 3 top 10 teams, with Worley, that OL and this scheme, shouldn't be shocking to anybody.

Reactions: 3 people
This is the kind of meltdown I'm talking about. Our last 4 games are EXTREMELY winnable. You wouldn't be saying anything is unrealistic if we had beaten Florida.

We've now scored 0 tds in our last 2 sec games. We are regressing on offense. We will struggle to get 5-6.

We've now scored 0 tds in our last 2 sec games. We are regressing on offense. We will struggle to get 5-6.

Ok. Well I didn't start this thread for a pissing contest over predictions and offensive woes. There are 90 other threads for that.

The point is if we had beaten Florida none of the other losses would sting as bad.

Ok. Well I didn't start this thread for a pissing contest over predictions and offensive woes. There are 90 other threads for that.

The point is if we had beaten Florida none of the other losses would sting as bad.

I do agree with that. All this crap would be much easier to swallow if we had beaten the lizards

Reactions: 2 people
Yep. And our other losses:
-at top 10 ga with Gurley
-at OK who lost yesterday to a soon to be top 10 team because they couldn't kick an EP.
-at #3 Ole miss
-soon to be at home vs top 5 bama.

This says nothing about bajak, Butch, Worley, OL, or all the freshmen. Fla game hurt. We weren't supposed to win the rest. Not at this time.
Losing to 3 top 10 teams, with Worley, that OL and this scheme, shouldn't be shocking to anybody.

Omg someone on here making sense. Who would have known.

Everyone else is ridiculous. Anyone with half a brain knew with where we are as a program that 6-6 would be a great season. Why has that changed? We got housed by #3 in their backyard and the fan base is pissed? Honestly, some of you are just absurd.

6-6 is still in reach but also more of a stretch than realized. That line is the worst in decades.

Reactions: 2 people

Everyone else is ridiculous. Anyone with half a brain knew with where we are as a program that 6-6 would be a great season. Why has that changed? We got housed by #3 in their backyard and the fan base is pissed? Honestly, some of you are just absurd.

6-6 is still in reach but also more of a stretch than realized. That line is the worst in decades.

It not losing to them that is the problem. It's the fact we haven't scored a touchdown in 8 quarters of football. One of those games being Florida. The worst of teams can muster up a freaking touchdown.

Every week Florida gets more and more embarrassed by other teams. Which really does sting. How could we not score one touchdown... Man I can't even think about it again.

At one point in that game last night. Missouri was up 42-0 and had less than 100 yards of offense. 2 special team scores and 2 defensive scores. Not sure about the other 2 scores. But it wasn't lime Missouri's offense was burning up and down the field.

Reactions: 1 person
I couldn't agree more! We all know our issue, but a good staff would have won the florida game--which was sitting there practically begging to be won, and we still found a way to screw it up. That was a huge and deflating loss. And by the way, Butch opted to punt in that game from the Florida 40 on 4th and 2. We punted into the end zone--typical--giving a chance away for virtually nothing. That's how you lose games, and we did.

I mean, how often do we face two truly bad florida teams? And yet we are bad at the same time--it shows you the state of the program. If it can go wrong, it does go wrong.

I couldn't agree more! We all know our issue, but a good staff would have won the florida game--which was sitting there practically begging to be won, and we still found a way to screw it up. That was a huge and deflating loss. And by the way, Butch opted to punt in that game from the Florida 40 on 4th and 2. We punted into the end zone--typical--giving a chance away for virtually nothing. That's how you lose games, and we did.

Wasn't it actually like the 37?

I've been griping about that ever since it happened.

This ain't the Big East anymore Butch. You have to have some balls to win in this league.

Why is it so hard to understand that its not the fact that we lost that's getting people frustrated ? We scored 0 tds against our last 2 sec opponents, one being Florida who gave up at least 30 to Kentucky, mizzou, and bama.
We are calling triple reverses and losing 20 yards. We are giving up 6 sacks to Chattanooga and refusing to adjust our scheme at all to what we have. Can we not throw some freaking slants?? Plenty for people to be pissed about.
I expected 6 wins this season and last. And getting there is going to be a struggle again.

Why is it so hard to understand that its not the fact that we lost that's getting people frustrated ? We scored 0 tds against our last 2 sec opponents, one being Florida who gave up at least 30 to Kentucky, mizzou, and bama.
We are calling triple reverses and losing 20 yards. We are giving up 6 sacks to Chattanooga and refusing to adjust our scheme at all to what we have. Can we not throw some freaking slants?? Plenty for people to be pissed about.
I expected 6 wins this season and last. And getting there is going to be a struggle again.

You've made your 0 TD's point very clear in several other posts. Thanks for reiterating again though.

VN Store

Back