A telling quote from CBJ

VFLCodyGBO

WGWTFA
"I am a realist, the only way to fix this is through recruiting"

That tells me this offensive line has hit the wall, they simply aren't talented enough to truly compete and will not be, what that also tells me is o-line will not be a strength next year either and with a less experienced QB we may continue to struggle. We HAVE to pickup guys like Richmond who can compete immediately.

Reactions: 19 people
Anyone who thinks the oline will be a strength next year is deluded. Sadly, next year looks to be another year watering the bamboo bricks or something.

Reactions: 5 people
If I were him I would fill all remaining slots in this class with juco O lineman. Not sure why Blair is on the bench, but we need guys that can compete and play right away.

Reactions: 6 people
Anyone who thinks the oline will be a strength next year is deluded. Sadly, next year looks to be another year watering the bamboo bricks or something.

Please state your football resume. I mean, being critical is one thing, but you act like an omniscient football god. I hate your attitude. Take a pill, man. Life is bigger than football.

Reactions: 11 people
Recruiting only fixes the problem 2-3 years from now!! It will take time in the weight room for those guys to be ready to play in the SEC. Counting on newly recruited freshmen will not help. Case in point watch the freshmen on this line

We know it is a weakness so the coaches have to game plan around it. Next year we add an inexperienced. QB to this train wreck of a line. Just that thought makes me want to throw up

Reactions: 1 person
If I were him I would fill all remaining slots in this class with juco O lineman. Not sure why Blair is on the bench, but we need guys that can compete and play right away.
You know who's good at doing that historically? The Mississippi school and Auburn with Bama and LSU not far behind. If you want to play the JUCO game at a high level you have to be prepared to get in the gutter with bag men and street agents. I don't mind the Vols doing that because I don't have sheepskin from UTK but I can see how those who do might cringe at the thought.

Reactions: 4 people
Blair was certainly a bust, if CBJ goes for more JUCO's this place will go wild comparing them to Blair. That said, I hope we can find one or 2 to shore up the line next year.

CBJ seems to be operating under the assumption that he can recruit, recruit, recruit while everybody waits patiently and endures the interim slop on the field. Recruiting needs to translate to on-field improvement and wins. If we don't make a bowl this year, coaches will have failed to meet their own goals two years in a row. If next year is more of the same, then he has also failed at translating talent into wins. We're not paying him $3.2 million to be recruiting coordinator. We're paying him to find ways to win games-- and winning six games with 4* and 5* talent isn't reaching for the stars.

Reactions: 15 people

That tells me this offensive line has hit the wall, they simply aren't talented enough to truly compete and will not be, what that also tells me is o-line will not be a strength next year either and with a less experienced QB we may continue to struggle. We HAVE to pickup guys like Richmond who can compete immediately.

The only way to fix depth is threw recruiting. .

The quote was in reference to Jackson and Thomas going out and being forced to play Gilliam.

I hope Jackson is OK. UT went all of last year w/out an injury to the O-line.

Reactions: 2 people
You know who's good at doing that historically? The Mississippi school and Auburn with Bama and LSU not far behind. If you want to play the JUCO game at a high level you have to be prepared to get in the gutter with bag men and street agents. I don't mind the Vols doing that because I don't have sheepskin from UTK but I can see how those who do might cringe at the thought.

This

CBJ seems to be operating under the assumption that he can recruit, recruit, recruit while everybody waits patiently and endures the interim slop on the field.

May not be a good analogy but I keep picturing Butterbean saying he will beat Tyson if he's just given enough time to train. I'm not sure that Butch realizes that just about every team in the East is down right now and all but two of them are getting better faster that he is. We may catch a few of the schools in the West through recruiting based on the law of diminishing returns but we only play those programs once every 5-6 years.

Blair was certainly a bust, if CBJ goes for more JUCO's this place will go wild comparing them to Blair. That said, I hope we can find one or 2 to shore up the line next year.

All reports say he came in out of shape. He could only do 6 reps of 200 on bench. He has made great strides and now can do 27 reps. They are red shirting him and he will be solid by next season. No doubt to the dismay of Butch and co. Though. That's about the only thing they could do with him. JMO

He is doing a great job of that by handing out scholarships to long snappers.

Reactions: 3 people
We do need to scrap plans to sign a kicker and longsnapper. Do that in the 2016 class or offer those guys as preferred walk-ons. And with those 2 spots, sign the best 2 JUCO OL we can. Immediate playing time should be a huge lure.

I think Richmond could win the RT spot as a freshman and that would be the only position for a true freshmen. He's a lot like Juan James, and that worked out well for us.

I suspect they will move Charles Mosley to RG and he'll start next fall. Weisman should overtake Crowder at C. That leaves only the LT position up for grabs. Hopefully Blair develops like they planned, and works out there, after RS'ing this year.

CBJ has said repeatedly, when responding to questions about Blair, vague comments about the need to increase strength levels. He must have embarrassingly low bench and squat #'s and that they just decided to give him another year to get up to par with the others. He looked pretty good to me, in the Spring O/W game.

Last edited:
We do need to scrap plans to sign a kicker and longsnapper. Do that in the 2016 class or offer those guys as preferred walk-ons. And with those 2 spots, sign the best 2 JUCO OL we can. Immediate playing time should be a huge lure.

I think Richmond could win the RT spot as a freshman and that would be the only position for a true freshmen. He's a lot like Juan James, and that worked out well for us.

I suspect they will move Charles Mosley to RG and he'll start next fall. Weisman should overtake Crowder at C. That leaves only the LT position up for grabs. Hopefully Blair develops like they planned, and works out there, after RS'ing this year.

CBJ has said repeatedly, when responding to questions about Blair, vague comments about the need to increase strength levels. He must have embarrassingly low bench and squat #'s and that they just decided to give him another year to get up to par with the others. He looked pretty good to me, in the Spring O/W game.

Richmond is an Ole Miss lock, MUS Memphis high school connection.. Just like he has with Whitehaven here in Memphis

Looks like Blair is RS this season. Who knows, desperate times call for desperate measures. :ermm:

Get ready to lose some skilled player recruits cause if it's gonna take 3 years to develop an average OL through recruiting the Preston Williams of the world will go elsewhere.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back