Tennessee vs The Maxims vs Ole Miss

OneManGang

Just because we, the fans, expected what happened Saturday doesn't make it any easier to deal with. The 3rd-ranked Ole Miss "Care-Bears" (have you seen their mascot adopted after Colonel Reb was sacrificed to the gods of Political Correctness? Sheesh!) did exactly what everyone said they would and walked the dog on our beloved Volunteers.

So what's the problem?

Well, there's the fact that while Tennessee's defense played well enough to give the Vols the opportunity to win the game, we witnessed just about the worst performance by a Tennessee offense in many a year. In this writer's opinion, this game finally drove the point home to even the most Orange Positive among us just how deep a hole was dug by the last year of Sir Philip of Winchester, the Californicator and the Spawn of Vince.

There is a "Give 'Em Six" DVD tribute to John Ward and Bill Anderson. On it, Anderson recalled his year on The Hill as an assistant coach on then new Head Vol Doug Dickey's staff. He said Dickey had to emphasize and build his future teams around his defense as there simply wasn't very much talent on offense. After that 1965 season, Anderson un-retired back to the NFL and signed with the Packers for the 1966 season. He wears a Super Bowl I ring. The Vols, meanwhile, are back to the future.

----

They weren't supposed to be there but circumstances dictated otherwise. There was word of Big Trouble to the east and Brigadier General Bob Hasbrouk was ordered to move his tanks of the 7th Armored Division to help hold the line. Hasbrouk's boys found themselves deployed around a sleepy crossroads village named St. Vith. Armored divisions of the time were organized into three "combat commands" (CCA, CCB and CCR) which were fluid combinations of tank and infantry battalions. CCR was set up as a "rest and refit" outfit only to be sent into combat in desperate situations. As soon as Hasbrouk set up his headquarters he found the situation to be somewhere beyond desperate.

St. Vith was a few miles behind the front line on 16 December 1944. That sector of front was held by the Golden Lions of the 106th Infantry Division. The 106th was a "green" division, just arrived in Europe and on its first rotation in the front lines. Worse, they were spread out over nearly twenty miles of front. After a thirty-minute German artillery barrage, remembered by all who experienced it for its intensity, the men of the 106th were hit by no less than six German divisions. The 106th Division shattered, as did the 28th Division located just to the south. Hasbrouck was able to add the remnants of the 424th (106th Div.) and the 112th (28th Div.) Infantry Regiments to his perimeter just in time for the Germans to arrive.

The Germans had a strict timetable. St. Vith was to be taken no later than noon on 17 December. The men of Hasbrouck's scratch command, in one of the epic stories of American Arms, held off EIGHT German divisions, four of them elite Panzer divisions, for nearly five days. They lacked the means, though, to conduct any kind of offensive operations. They finally withdrew in good order to link up with other American units holding the northern flank of what became known forever as the Battle of the Bulge. They bled and died gaining the American Army the one thing it needed to beat back the massive German force: time. Between St. Vith and the much better-known stand at Bastogne, the German timetable was fatally disrupted and by early January, 1945, it was the Nazi horde that was on the defensive.

Germany surrendered on 7 May 1945. Supreme Commander Dwight Eisenhower's message to Washington and London announcing this is a classic of understatement. It states, "The mission of this Allied Force was fulfilled at 0241, local time, 7 May 1945."

We fans are witnessing the desperate battles being waged by Head Vol Butch Jones' defensive troops for time. Time to recruit. Time to practice. Time to learn how to win.

Better days are ahead.

So how did the team do compared to the Maxims?

1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.

Three interceptions and one fumble by the Vols on special teams would seem to cover this. Tennessee going three-for-sixteen on third down conversions brings to mind a Japanese adage about being stung by a bee in the face while crying.

2. Play for and make the breaks. When one comes your way … SCORE!

The Vols started drive after drive in the first half in decent field position and did squat. Tennessee's offensive firepower, which could be compared to a Carrier Air Group supporting an armored division back in the heady days of the late '90s and early 2000s, is now approximately equivalent to a Red Rider BB gun.

3. If at first the game – or the breaks – go against you, don’t let up … PUT ON MORE STEAM!

Playing offensive line is a state of mind. One has to be just plain nasty and stubborn to get the job done. It seems that Tennessee's line lacks that critical confidence. They are shell-shocked and their play indicates a greater concern with not making a mistake than making the block. Hesitation gets quarterbacks maimed and runners cut down nine yards behind the line.

4. Protect our kickers, our quarterback, our lead and our ballgame.

From last week: There was absolutely no improvement from last week. None. In fact, the argument can be made that Tennessee's pass protection has regressed. I can think of nothing to add.

5. Ball! Oskie! Cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle … THIS IS THE WINNING EDGE.

Depressing stat: Tennessee gained ZERO, ZIP, NADA, NOT ONE DAMNED net yard rushing. How do you do that? We shouldn't complain, though, as at one point the Vols were sitting at a negative 18 yards rushing. Kicked by a mule in the nose then stung by a bee in the face while crying. Unreal.

6. Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made.

Aaron Medley was responsible for all of Tennessee's scoring. Darr had a reasonably good outing. All of that was offset by a fumbled kick return that set up the Care Bears on Tennessee's 28. Six seconds later ...

7. Carry the fight to Ole Miss and keep it there for sixty minutes.

Tennessee's defense fought for 33 minutes. They deserved better.

No matter how much mortar you use, a brick wall one brick lengthwise thick will not stand very long.

Head Vol Jones has his work cut out for him this week to keep the defensive troops' morale up while shifting assets around trying to find some combination that produces positive offense. Given the paucity of talent and the inexperience on the offensive bench, this writer does not envy the man.

Brick by Brick, Baby!

MAXOMG

Suggested Reading:

Hugh M. Cole, The Ardennes: Battle of the Bulge (The U.S. Army in World War II series)

Trevor N. DuPuy, Hitler's Last Gamble

Charles B. MacDonald, A Time for Trumpets

© 2014
Keeping Your Stories Alive

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 people
On this beautiful Sunday morning, I get the impression that the Volunteer Nation feels like this:

St. Vith after the 7th Armored left and the 8th Air Force stopped by.

Attachments

• st vith with cratera.jpg
    st vith with cratera.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 16
Good writeup. I see you are still remaining positive, and I use you as my barometer for the fan base mindset.

On a side note: I hate the mascot change, but unfortunately ole miss students and faithful did too many stupid things over the last fifty years. And a great mascot got the axe.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
"Defense wins Championships"...but you have to score every now and then too.

That should be the way the saying reads.
GREAT write up as always my friend...bring on BAMA.

Reactions: 1 person
"Defense wins Championships"...but you have to score every now and then too.

That should be the way the saying reads.
GREAT write up as always my friend...bring on BAMA.

The Vols went through a period during the Spawn's era where they were all offense and no defense. That didn't work either.

From the Wayback Machine (2012):

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/177323-tennessee-vs-maxims-vs-troy.html

7. Carry the fight to Troy and keep it there for sixty minutes.

The Vol offense never quit and eventually prevailed. Tennessee's defense never made it out of the hotel.

There is a pithy football aphorism that, “offense sells tickets, defense wins championships.”

One can now add a codicil to that, "Offense with no defense doesn't sell tickets either."

Tennessee fans stayed away from Neyland Stadium in droves Saturday as Vol faithful from Dyersburg to Ducktown echoed a long-dead British admiral, “There is something wrong with our bloody defense today.”

Head Vol Jones has his work cut out for him this week to keep the defensive troops' morale up while shifting assets around trying to find some combination that produces positive offense. Given the paucity of talent and the inexperience on the offensive bench, this writer does not envy the man.

So you're suggesting AJ play quarterback … I'm not opposed to this. I guaranteed we'd have a better rushing day with 30 plays from the wild-beast

I got nothing. Great write up nonetheless.

Check the post time on the OP. This thing fought me 'til the wee hours Sunday.

There was a point where I was reminded of the old story of a novelist struggling with writer's block. His routine was to work on his latest book in his upstairs office/study at his home from 8-5 Monday through Friday.

One Monday at precisely 8AM he put a sheet of paper in his typewriter to begin his latest novel (like I said, this is an OLD story) and typed the word "The."

For the rest of the day he stared at the word, fiddled around his office, made coffee, stared some more and finally, at 4:55 had a breakthrough!

He finished with, "hell with it."

He then got up, turned out the light and went downstairs.

Our footVol team is still outnumbered and surrounded.

Outnumbered by much better depth and talent as well as time to develope strength, skills, knowledge and experience and junior and senior upperclassmen for more solid leadership.

Surrounded by top teams in and out of the SEC that we still stand up and fight every single year.

Every college coach will tell you that the only real way to turn things around is great recruitng and that it normally takes a few years to get a ship righted and moving in the right direction.

I already see the progress and since buTch has only ONE of his own full recruiting classes on campus as true freshmen and 23 of those kids are already playing because buTch has no other options it's aazing what a difference these young kids are already makig so very early in their college careers.

2 or 3 more really good recruiting classes and I believe we'll all see these tough battles turning into Vols WINS which we all so badly want.

Just as our military can NEVER quit or give up our very young Vols can't either.

Brick by brick is a great slogan but it's also a fact that our D wall is already showig more toughness and playmaing ability and with 2 DT's coming next season that are both 5* DT's we're going to become much harder to score on as early as next season.

The O always takes more time and building a solid O line is much harder and takes more time than most on here realise but we will get there.

THANK YOU to our friend OMG for his work and thoughts to bring this to us every week!!!

As a Marine and a Orange blooded Tennessee fan I shall forever remain...Always Faithful!!

Semper Fidelis!!!

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Thanks OMG for another great read.

My grandfather was in the Battle of the Bulge. I asked him about it one time and all he would say was that it was a terrible time. He became sad and withdrawn so I never asked again.

Good writeup. I see you are still remaining positive, and I use you as my barometer for the fan base mindset.

On a side note: I hate the mascot change, but unfortunately ole miss students and faithful did too many stupid things over the last fifty years. And a great mascot got the axe.

Apparently they have also resorted to stealing cars. Did you catch the blue and red paint job they put on Georgia Tech's Rambling Wreck?

Ole Miss=Branding Hell

Apparently they have also resorted to stealing cars. Did you catch the blue and red paint job they put on Georgia Tech's Rambling Wreck?

Ole Miss=Branding Hell

Maybe the Care Bears need the assistance of a certain P.R. flack who did wonders for Columbia Central High School.

Attachments

• cuchieddie (2).jpg
    cuchieddie (2).jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1

VN Store

Back