Was anybody else as upset as I was when

1985Vols

We were ahead 3-0 and had a 4th and 1 around the 50 yard line and CBJ decided to punt? Right then I said we are playing not to lose vs. Playing to win. We had nothing to lose in this game and had a lot of momentum at that point of the game. A first down and chance at going up 10-0 could have been huge. Instead we got a 25 yard punt from Darr and Ole Miss drove down and scored .. That one call ( not going for it) disappointed me as much as anything tonight.

Reactions: 12 people
We were ahead 3-0 and had a 4th and 1 around the 50 yard line and CBJ decided to punt? Right then I said we are playing not to lose vs. Playing to win. We had nothing to lose in this game and had a lot of momentum at that point of the game. A first down and chance at going up 10-0 could have been huge. Instead we got a 25 yard punt from Darr and Ole Miss drove down and scored .. That one call ( not going for it) disappointed me as much as anything tonight.

Do you really think it would have made a difference in the grand scheme of things? Really?

Look at how our defense was playing and look at how our offense was playing. You absolutely punt and flip the field in that instance. Who knows? You might pin them deep and the let your D get you a turnover.

Reactions: 16 people
Punt was the correct call. We were the inferior team. You win this game if the scores in the teens and you play field position.

Reactions: 11 people
I was more upset when we executed a net 25 yard punt.

If we'd pinned them inside the 10 then it would have been a good call the way our defense had been playing.

Reactions: 5 people
I understand the frustration with that call, but the expectation was that the punt would be downed inside the 15 if not better. The punt ended up not working out just like going for it may not have worked out.

Did you see what we got when we went for 4th down? Its easy to coach from Volnation with no actual accountability. We were winning field position at that time in a defensive game. Punt may have been safe but it was also the conventional call made by 90% of coaches in that situation. Play to our strength-Defense

Reactions: 2 people
I kinda wanted to go for it on 4th and 2 instead of kicking the field goal. Defense was playing well and they would have been pinned deep had we not converted, but I wanted to get 7. Idk how or if it would have changed much in the big picture.

Not as upset when I saw two deep slant routes and Worley squeezed it in to double coverage instead of going to Von Pearson, who had nothing but open field that would've gone for a touchdown

Do you really think it would have made a difference in the grand scheme of things? Really?

Look at how our defense was playing and look at how our offense was playing. You absolutely punt and flip the field in that instance. Who knows? You might pin them deep and the let your D get you a turnover.

Yeah that 25 yard punt really pinned them

Reactions: 1 person

No

Thought it was the right call at the time. Much more upset with the double reverse that we ran on the edge of FG range. Dumbest thing I saw tonight.

Reactions: 8 people
I was more upset when we executed a net 25 yard punt.

If we'd pinned them inside the 10 then it would have been a good call the way our defense had been playing.

Me too.... Then on the following exchange their punter kicked one 67 yards .....damn it

I see your point but I think I can see the other side...How about the double reverse when we were already in FG range?...That was the head scratcher for me...as others have said, I don't know how much difference a different decision would make in the grand scheme.

If I coached, the punter would be the least used player on my team. Of course, this is probably why I don't coach:shades:

They didn't score then. They went 3 and out.

However, I wished UT would have gone for it as well. Make a statement on the road.

I was disappointed when Worley threw an interception rather than dumping the ball.

I was disappointed when Worley ran out of bounds for an 8 yd. loss rather than dumping the ball.

I was disappointed when we ran Hurd up the middle on 4th down and lost 5 yds.

I was disappointed when Worley threw the ball too high for Pig (again and again)

I was disappointed when a great catch bounced out of North's hands.

I was disappointed we called a triple reverse on 2nd down (what the hell was that s*&t)

I was disappointed we don't have a single person who can block a freshman DE.

I'm still disappointed that our OL is atrocious and getting worse (sorry, but its truth)

I was disappointed our defense mailed in the last drive (but really, can you blame them?)

BUT, hey, at least the reffing crew didn't suck!! Am I right?

Reactions: 4 people

what kind of has me scratching my head is, at that field position with momentum on your side, at least line up and try to draw them offsides if you're planning on punting anyways. Take the 5 yd penalty and give your punt coverage team a little more field to play with if you don't draw the defense offsides. There was no discussion of this at all...punt team trots out on the field almost immediately.

Reactions: 1 person
Yes and I'm sure EVERYBODY including Coach Jones knew that's exactly what was going to happen.

All I'm saying is in a game like this we should not have played conservatively .. With an offense struggling to move the ball when you have the ball at mid field you should take advantage of it. Play aggressive and play to win.

VN Store

Back