Miss my Vols of old

gr82batnvol

This is by no means an insult to these young kids who have been fighting hard. I just miss our dominance of old. I HATE seeing teams like Ole Miss get the best of us. We are the UT! Neyland stadium...100K+ stadium...amazing facilities...rich tradition...I miss it! Ole Miss??? Really?

Don't get me wrong, I believe Coach Jones will have us back to good things within the next couple of years but MAN... I just miss it.

My hats off to that young ferocious defense! Gives me hope for our future and makes me proud!

Reactions: 2 people
I remember when I was a kid and how farfetched it seemed when older people told me that Ga Tech was good back in the day. Now I feel feel like the old guy nobody believes.

Reactions: 1 person
I remember the days of having a Nat'l championship winning head coach who was a former vol, and a tennessee native.

I love Butch, but he's gotta do something about "coach jake."

More like coach fake.

I remember when I was a kid and how farfetched it seemed when older people told me that Ga Tech was good back in the day. Now I feel feel like the old guy nobody believes.

Funny you say that.....my dad told me years and years ago Ga Tech was good back in the day and I was in disbelief....lol

Hate to admit it, but even the good Vol teams would have had a hard time with this Ole Miss team. This is really a national championship caliber team. They got a good offense and a damned good defense.

Just rewind the 2008 video of Fulmer's resignation. I'm sure Miami fans feel the same way after Coker was fired.

On Sirius radio this week, a UT fan was asking about the state of UT football and admitted he was one who wanted Fulmer gone very badly. The moderator simply said ' and how has that worked out for you?'

Hate to admit it, but even the good Vol teams would have had a hard time with this Ole Miss team. This is really a national championship caliber team. They got a good offense and a damned good defense.

Uh no. D did good. Our o was horrible.

You're wrong. They're 1 of 5 unbeaten FBS teams and knocked off Bama. To say they aren't a really good team is insane.

Against the historically great UT teams, please. Ole Miss is solid. Not great, not national championship quality.

State is way better

Just rewind the 2008 video of Fulmer's resignation. I'm sure Miami fans feel the same way after Coker was fired.

images

Reactions: 2 people
I remember the days of having a Nat'l championship winning head coach who was a former vol, and a tennessee native.

I love Butch, but he's gotta do something about "coach jake."

More like coach fake.

Jake is limited in what he can do. We all know that it starts in the trenches and our offensive line isn't as good as other parts of the team.

If they can't hold a block, he can't call a run play.

If they can't hold a block, he can't call a pass play because the q.b. won't have enough time to throw the ball.

So, what does he do? Call trick plays all night long? Reverse!! Double Reverse!! Wild Cat!!!

How long will that work?

If a NASCAR driver has a poor engineering team, he can drive his - - - off but he won't win because he car is not fast enough!!!

No, I disagree... But we aren't the vols of old yet...

They're good, but I think that Peyton and the 97 Vols would have beaten them soundly, probably something like 35 - 20. The 98 Vols would have won too, albeit in a lower scoring affair, probably something like 20-10.

They're good, but I think that Peyton and the 97 Vols would have beaten them soundly, probably something like 35 - 20. The 98 Vols would have won too, albeit in a lower scoring affair, probably something like 20-10.

As I recall, Peyton's team lost for the first time in history to a Memphis State team with a q.b. who couldn't have made a decent h.s. roster. I also seem to have forgotten how many times the Vols beat Florida while he was taking the snaps. I didn't mean to imply the 'good' Vols teams would have lost last night, but its all academic anyway. This team is light years better than anything Dooley could have come up with which is good, but they play in the SEC, which is bad.

As I recall, Peyton's team lost for the first time in history to a Memphis State team with a q.b. who couldn't have made a decent h.s. roster. I also seem to have forgotten how many times the Vols beat Florida while he was taking the snaps. I didn't mean to imply the 'good' Vols teams would have lost last night, but its all academic anyway. This team is light years better than anything Dooley could have come up with which is good, but they play in the SEC, which is bad.

Nope, that was the 1996 team that lost to Memphis State, and that game was a mere fluke. If 1996 Tennessee plays 1996 Memphis State 20 times, Tennessee wins 19 of those games. Not to mention that Memphis State was the beneficiary of a very questionable call on the kick return that won the game for them where it appeared that the returner's knee was down. The 1997 Tennessee team won the SEC Championship, and their only regular season loss was a 33-20 loss in the swamp.

By the way, yes Peyton couldn't beat the Gators, but he beat pretty much everyone else he played while he was here. His record as a starter was 39-6. That's a winning percentage of 87%.

VN Store

Back