No Chance

Joe Vols

"No chance," is what you'll hear most people say when you ask them if Tennessee might upset number 3 Ole Miss this Saturday on their home field. After all, Ole Miss is bigger, faster, more athletic, more physical, and is more experienced.

Right?

Not so fast my friend. While the latter might be true, they are more experienced, the rest of it is up for debate. The Vols are deep at wide receiver, plus their secondary and defensive front are much improved. Ole Miss has an outstanding defensive end, and a big sure handed receiver, however; Tennessee can answer that call with proven play-makers of its own on both sides of the ball.

Everyone knows that Ole Miss is sure to throw the kitchen sink at the Vol's offense, giving Worley little to no time to make a read and get rid of the ball. The good/ bad news is that Worley should know by now how to handle pressure as this is anything but new to him this season. And then there's this, Ole miss will limit severely, if not totally stifle Tennessee's ability to run the ball, but again this is nothing new to this Vol's team either.

So with the obvious advantages of one of the nation's best defenses going up against what is rated as one of the nation's most dismal offenses, is there any chance of a victory for the Tennessee Vols this Saturday?

I must answer with an emphatic yes.

There are 2 blaring differences between the 2 teams this year so far. Their records, and their level of competition. The talent edge outside of the O line, and possibly the QB (up for debate considering the duress Worley has had to endure this season) is basically a stalemate. So realistically the only advantage Ole Miss has in talent, in my opinion, is the O line, and this is more of an experience issue than a talent issue.

So why does UT have any hope in this game? We have played the tougher schedule so far, and despite our record we have competed well. I don't expect anything any different from this team this weekend in that regard. What we are more likely to see from this Vol team is improvements in all phases of the game.

Our team, and our QB have seen it all before. Loud crowds, hostile environment, ferocious pass rush, and underdog status. These players have proven one thing so far, that they can play with the best, under the worst conditions. We know they're going come out fighting, so there's only one thing left for them to prove. That they can come out on the winning end of a hard fought game.

So the Vols have no chance according to most, but I'm willing to bet every Vol playing expects to win. So we should expect another slugfest the SEC has become famous for over the years. This time don't be surprised if Tennessee not only covers the spread, but also comes out on top against the No. 3 team in the country.

If this happens the rest of the country will see an upset, but I won't. We match up better against Ole Miss than we did against Florida. Florida is bigger, faster, and more athletic than Ole Miss; they just aren't coached as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 people
"No chance," is what you'll hear most people will say when you ask them if Tennessee might upset number 3 Ole Miss this Saturday on their home field. After all, Ole Miss is bigger, faster, more athletic, is more physical, and more experienced.

Not so fast my friend. While the latter might be true, they are more experienced, the rest of it is up for debate. The Vols are deep at wide receiver, plus their secondary and defensive front are much improved. Ole Miss has an outstanding defensive end, and a big sure handed receiver, However Tennessee can answer that call with its proven playmakers of its own on both sides of the ball.

While it's true that Ole Miss is sure to throw the kitchen sink at the Vol's offense, giving Worley little to no time to make a read and get rid of the ball, this is anything but new to him this season. And yes, Ole miss will limit severely, if not totally stifle Tennessee's ability to run the ball, this is nothing new either.

So with the obvious advantages of one of the nation's best defenses going up against what is rated as one of the nation's most dismal offenses is there any chance of a victory for the Tennessee Vols this Saturday?

I must answer with an emphatic yes.

There are 2 blaring differences between the 2 teams this year so far. Their records, and their level of competition so far this year. The talent edge outside of the O line, and possibly the QB (up for debate considering the duress Worley has had to endure this season) is basically a stalemate. So basically the only advantage Ole Miss has in talent in my opinion is the O line, and this is more of an experience issue than a talent issue.

So why does UT have any hope in this game? We have played the tougher schedule so far, and despite our record we have competed well. I don't expect anything any different from this team this weekend in that regard. What we are more likely to see from this Vol team is improvements in all phases of the game.

Our team, and our QB have seen it all before. Loud crowds, hostile environment, ferocious pass rush, and underdog status. These players have proven one thing so far, that they can play with the best, under the worst conditions. We know they're going come out fighting. There's only one thing left for them to do, go win a hard fought game.

So the Vols have no chance according to most, but I'm willing to bet every Vol playing expects to win. So we should expect another slugfest the SEC has become famous for, but don't be surprised if Tennessee not only covers the spread, but also comes out on top against the No. 3 team in the country this Saturday.

Is that you, Corso?

Reactions: 3 people
I hope you are right and they do come out on top. It is going to be a tough game, no doubt about that. If we play with the heart, soul and determination we did at Uga THEN we stand a chance. If JW gets hurt, or anyone else, as it seems we have been bitten by the nagging injury bug at all positions, but especially the skill positions this year, we might win the battle but lose the war like last year afterm the bama game. The season was lost after JW went out. That said: GO VOLS BEAT THE REB'S.

Reactions: 2 people
I am getting a feeling that not only are the Ole Miss players overlooking the Vols, but some of our fans are as well. Vols could very well sneak out of the grove with a much needed win. Not much coming out of camp this week, I smell something cooking.

Doubt we win but young teams seem to play better when they're underdogs with no chance. They can play loose cause no one expects anything

Our strength is in our DE's, LB's and CB's. Our interior defensive linemen will have their hands full. With that being said, our defense can keep us in the game. Our ST's have really improved. We seem to cover kicks and punts much better, FG's are not quite a "hold your breath moment" and we don't make many mistakes there. On offense we just have to give Worley 3 seconds. If he can't make a decision in 3 seconds, then our offense will struggle and turn the ball over. Also, we CAN NOT have negative plays on 1st down. We have to make positive plays initially on 1st down and that might truly be the down where we might have the most luck passing. If we get in 3rd and longs all day like we did versus UF, we will not win this game. Bottom line is that we have seen consistent good play from D/ST. We just need to not turn the ball over, give Worley 3 seconds and try to get positive yardage on 1st down. Best of luck VOLS

Reactions: 1 person
I would like to add a little statistics:
OL'Ms 2012 Recuiting: 4* = 2 3* =13 OL = 4 2013: 5* = 3 4*= 9 OL = 4 2014: 4* = 7 3* = 17 OL=5 (Total OL= 13). UT 2012: 4* = 11 3*= 9 OL = 0 2013 4* = 5 3* =16 OL = 3 2014: 5* = 2 4* = 16 OL = 4 (Total OL = 7).

I don't know how better to tell eveyone but a 2:1 ratio in OL recuiting is why UT is starting Freshman and why CBJ and his Staff need 2+ more years to build this team back. 2012 killed us on OL recuiting and for CBJ to be here 1.5 years...He is killing it on the recuiting trail............we need to give him TIME to build UT's depth........PERIOD.

Reactions: 9 people
I am getting a feeling that not only are the Ole Miss players overlooking the Vols, but some of our fans are as well. Vols could very well sneak out of the grove with a much needed win. Not much coming out of camp this week, I smell something cooking.

Not from what I have heard from Ole Miss friends. These tickets are going for more than BAMER did.

What do past games have to do with tomorrow night?

Simple. The OL is regressing and not making progress as this team begins to enter the heart of the conference schedule.

Until the OL coach and OC can develop and implement a scheme for this line to learn and adjust to, then Worley will be sacked multiple times forcing the offense to literally take 2 and 3 steps back for every gain forward.

When the OL begins to gel and improve, then you will begin to see competitive games against the upper echelon of the SEC.

Everyone is overlooking tennessee in this matchup. I think if we keep from turning the football over then we can win this game. If Tennessee does pull off this upset then I definitely see this game being talked about more. I am realistic however, and after seeing our offensive line play thus far I see a 27-13 Ole Miss win. But I see this being like the Bama game when Kiffin was here. Nobody expected us to be in that game either, but we honestly should've won that game. Watch.. if Tennessee takes care of the football, and we can score at least 24 points we will win this game. Have a feeling Tennessee is gonna force bad Bo to show up in this game.

.He is killing it on the recuiting trail............we need to give him TIME to build UT's depth........PERIOD.

CBJ's recruiting is not in question and really never has been. His record there speaks for itself. What most of fan base is disappointed with is the inability of this staff to use the talent in place to fit the scheme and adapt the offense around those players.

Just for the record, Tennessee is definitely out talented in more spots than OL and QB. Ole Miss has elite safety play, and higher quality DL. The talent mismatch isn't in the starters, it's in the depth. OM is so much deeper.

I'd take ole miss THIS SEASON at OL, QB, WR, TE, DL, and Safety.

Id call us even at CB, and I'd actually take our LBs over just about anyones.

Next year we will take a giant leap forward at most spots. Ole miss is where we are going to leap to right now.

If the game follows how it looks on paper then they will pressure worley regularly, we will beat ourselves with turnovers and lose like 31-7.

Games arn't played on paper. Need the OL to take a giant step forward and the DL to pressure Bo Bo.

Its obvious that if you give Worley time he will pick you apart, our issue is the video that our O-Line has put on tape. The little thinks that like knowing what the guy next to you is going to do, what sometimes looks to be JV football blocking mistakes is just not simply knowing who the guy next to you is going to block...

I would like to add a little statistics:
OL'Ms 2012 Recuiting: 4* = 2 3* =13 OL = 4 2013: 5* = 3 4*= 9 OL = 4 2014: 4* = 7 3* = 17 OL=5 (Total OL= 13). UT 2012: 4* = 11 3*= 9 OL = 0 2013 4* = 5 3* =16 OL = 3 2014: 5* = 2 4* = 16 OL = 4 (Total OL = 7).

I don't know how better to tell eveyone but a 2:1 ratio in OL recuiting is why UT is starting Freshman and why CBJ and his Staff need 2+ more years to build this team back. 2012 killed us on OL recuiting and for CBJ to be here 1.5 years...He is killing it on the recuiting trail............we need to give him TIME to build UT's depth........PERIOD.

Could not agree more, Fly, and well-said. Pure common sense, which, sometimes, is the very first casualty on this board....

If football is indeed about one on one match ups, then this is a good game for Butch Jones to get another big win, and his first big win on the road. We match up better physically against Ole Miss than we did against Oklahoma, Georgia, or Florida. We have consistently closed the gap, and improved overall if you by how played in each one of those games. If we have improved as much since the Florida game as a team, then we will shock some folks. Based on the consistent improvement from last year until I now, I suspect we will see more improvement overall this week. About the only way this overall team can improve from Florida is to come away with a win.

Just for the record, Tennessee is definitely out talented in more spots than OL and QB. Ole Miss has elite safety play, and higher quality DL. The talent mismatch isn't in the starters, it's in the depth. OM is so much deeper.

I'd take ole miss THIS SEASON at OL, QB, WR, TE, DL, and Safety.

Id call us even at CB, and I'd actually take our LBs over just about anyones.

Next year we will take a giant leap forward at most spots. Ole miss is where we are going to leap to right now.

If the game follows how it looks on paper then they will pressure worley regularly, we will beat ourselves with turnovers and lose like 31-7.

Games arn't played on paper. Need the OL to take a giant step forward and the DL to pressure Bo Bo.

I just don't see it. They did beat a less than good playing Bama team this year. It won't be Bama's only loss either.

Don't get me wrong. Ole Miss is good, but they are beatable. We are better than our record. The only thing this team needs is a big win. If get a big win in the next 2 weeks, it will speed up our rebuilding process by a year, maybe two. This team is consistently playing right on the edge of turning a big win corner.

Of course there is. If UT can hold the ball and have some success at running this game will be a close low scoring affair cuz Ole Miss offense isn't world beater. Major major if tho.

Have we not learned our lesson with the "we win" predictions? Ole Miss is not gonna over look us. They are hungry, well coached and focused.

Those of you that proclaim that we match up better with Ole Miss are either not very well informed or delusional. The only place that we have an advantage over them is at Linebacker. We have better backs, but that's negated because of our poor line play. Might be even at DB, but they are leaps and bounds ahead of us at every other position.

I want us to win just as bad as any of you and we can win if we play a perfect game and we get some breaks some where. The chances of that happening are very, very slim.

VN Store

Back