A good article that can lend some insight on our OL and the ZBS in general

agent|orange

New Steelers offensive line coach Munchak is perfect tutor - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Some key quotes:

Munchak's run-game philosophy is rooted in the inside and outside zone-blocking scheme. According to Munchak's former players, the zone-blocking scheme can be difficult to learn, but once perfected it is difficult to defend.

It's a smart way to block things, to create holes. When you have a guy who can teach it, it will work. But there is no guarantee that it will work if you don't have the linemen who are capable of running it. For the offensive line, you have to have the timing, the communication; it's hard to implement that system. A zone team is reliant on the guy next to you rather than you relying on yourself.

The inside zone and outside zone were our bread and butter. That was the focus of what we did. With teams that have never run it in the past, it's definitely not something you pick up overnight, but it's extremely effective when it's run right and you have a coach to teach it. You definitely have to have the right coach for it to be effective.

Some of the top running teams in the NFL are ZBS. And that is built upon a group of OL where they stay from year to year. Personally, I'm dubious of the ZBS in college as it's much harder to keep up a quality influx of talent that will learn and have the communication for it to work.

While I'm as unhappy (and been so to the point of being called a whiner and a gator fan) as everyone else, this must be tempered.

I believe this OL will get their communication down and once they learn the system, watch out. I firmly believe Hurd will be an elite one-cut runner like a healthy Arian Foster.

This system is much harder to learn than the Power scheme we implemented in James' first year which lends even more credence to what he said.

Reactions: 4 people
Also, I understand Munchak is probably one of the best OL coaches in the business and the jury is out on Mahoney.

This is simply an article that gives information on the struggles of one of the best in the business teaching a group of professional athletes a similar(ish) system. It's complicated, difficult and takes time. But the prevailing opinion about the ZBS is once it's rooted and you have a group of players that know it well and work together it's the most effective run blocking philosophy in the business.

Reactions: 3 people
Maybe I have missed the whole point . I thought the O-line problem was pass blocking . Taking to many steps back with out ever touching or slowing the end or tackle down .I thought the reason we couldn't run the ball was all you have to is key the back .

Reactions: 2 people
So they understand it around the time they graduate.

This is why I'm understanding of the difficulties but also very dubious of running the ZBS in college.

It's hard to teach, difficult to implement and execute with a revolving door of players and it requires exactly the right athletes to run correctly.

Arkansas (same as with UT in 2012) has it right. Just get big@ss dudes, have them line up and point to a guy on the Defense and say "I'm going to (*&@ this guys day up".

And it clearly works now in Year 2. IMO Pittman is one of the best in the business.

Reactions: 6 people
Maybe I have missed the whole point . I thought the O-line problem was pass blocking . Taking to many steps back with out ever touching or slowing the end or tackle down .I thought the reason we couldn't run the ball was all you have to is key the back .

The problem is with both, IMO. Running is just eased by the fact that Hurd has 3ypc but 4ypc after first contact.

What was scary when I rewatched the UTC plays was that even when we did manage to get a hat on a hat we did nothing to slow crashing lb's.

The hours of practice allowed in college is limited. Not so much in the NFL.

Actually the collective bargaining agreement between the NFLPA and NFL does have guidelines as to how much organized practice time there is each week and rules in place regarding the physicality of each practice.

Of course pro guys have much more time for individual work and film study than a kid also going to college full time, though.

Reactions: 1 person
In the future I think that we will not see many freshmen playing and probably see more o-linemen redshirt that way they have 1-2 years to learn system before being throw to the wolves.

Evidently our guys are slow learners. What does communication have to do with simply knocking someone on their ass.

Last edited:
Also, I understand Munchak is probably one of the best OL coaches in the business and the jury is out on Mahoney.

This is simply an article that gives information on the struggles of one of the best in the business teaching a group of professional athletes a similar(ish) system. It's complicated, difficult and takes time. But the prevailing opinion about the ZBS is once it's rooted and you have a group of players that know it well and work together it's the most effective run blocking philosophy in the business.
Really good post. CBJ's patient with this because zone blocking is the heart of his offensive scheme. There should be the proper pool of talent within the next couple of years-or-so, as surely Mahoney's looking for athletes with the blend of football IQ and pertinent athletic traits required. It'll take time, but as you aptly pointed out, once they've "got it"in a more collective manner, those RBs are going find some big valleys to run through.

If our troubles are related to a challenging scheme I would expect a struggle the first couple games followed up by slow but steady improvement, not regression

Evidently our guys are slow learners. What does communication have to do with simply knocking someone on their ass.

Very insightful,orangeluvr. As for me,I would prefer the OB S for our Vols. That's the Opponent Blocking System. Don't block zones,block opponents. That would work unless they get by before being blocked,which has happened too often this year. G o Vols.

I agree these guys were getting bullied by UTC guys. That's not communication that's just not beinng very good.

As a former Titan season ticket holder, Munchak was horrible at nearly everything. For a team who spends high 1st round draft picks and 2nd/3rd round picks seemingly every year on OL, they are pitiful.

If he wasn't a former player and a HOF'er at that, he would be unemployed.

VN Store

Back