We are losing our younger generation

shoney

Dark Lord of The Hills
I am a teacher (6th grade), and I asked all my students who their favorite college football team is. Out of 92 students 65 picked Tennessee, so 27 students from right here in East Tennessee did not pick the Vols. This is frustrating to me and alarming. These are possible future donors and season ticket buyers. The good news is that they are kids, and kids love a winner, so if Butch can turn this thing around a lot of these kids will become Tennessee fans. He needs to hurry things up though.

Reactions: 2 people
Couple our struggles along with the many other distractions today's youth have, I'm not surprised. My son has only a passing interest in Tennessee right now. If given the choice to watch us lose or play Call of Duty, he's playing Call of Duty.

Reactions: 1 person
Couldn't you also say that we have already lost the older generation of fans? Isn't it parents or family members growing up instilling the traditions of UT in these kids at a young age? Just saying if it wasn't for my mothers side of the family showing me these things when I was little I wouldn't have grown up loving UT the way I do today. Not trying to rock the boat, just another angle on it. GBO!

Reactions: 3 people
I blame poor parenting. I have managed to brainwash...er, educate my kids here in TX.

Reactions: 32 people
Couldn't you also say that we have already lost the older generation of fans? Isn't it parents or family members growing up instilling the traditions of UT in these kids at a young age? Just saying if it wasn't for my mothers side of the family showing me these things when I was little I wouldn't have grown up loving UT the way I do today. Not trying to rock the boat, just another angle on it. GBO!

hit the nail on the head

otherwise how do you explain chicago cub and vandy fans?

Reactions: 4 people
It is the general lack of interest in anything athletic that is so concerning. One minute the media is attacking organized sports and the next they are reporting on the obesity crisis.

I am a teacher (6th grade), and I asked all my students who their favorite college football team is. Out of 92 students 65 picked Tennessee, so 27 students from right here in East Tennessee did not pick the Vols. This is frustrating to me and alarming. These are possible future donors and season ticket buyers. The good news is that they are kids, and kids love a winner, so if Butch can turn this thing around a lot of these kids will become Tennessee fans. He needs to hurry things up though.

I was a Tim Tebow loving Florida fan (and a fan of pretty much every winning team) in middle school before I realized there can be no reward without loyalty and suffering.

Reactions: 5 people
Same here but in NC. My son always asks me leading into the season if we are good this year, ouch.

Yeah, I had a similar experience last week when my son asked me if TN was good when I was in high school with the same incredulous tone of voice as if he were asking if vampires and zombies are real.

Reactions: 4 people
Yeah, I had a similar experience last week when my son asked me if TN was good when I was in high school with the same incredulous tone of voice as if he were asking if vampires and zombies are real.

That stings. I have been asked if we have ever beaten Bama.

You should fail the 27 students who did not pick the Vols!!!!

:good!:

Reactions: 9 people
If they are bama or UF fans is unlikely they're college material anyway. Won't be losing much on the donation side

:p

My children have been educated to never touch anything with that hideous scarlet script A or with a gator's head. They know that Bammers marry their cousins and gators are only good for eating.

what were the other teams they picked?

Well I am ashamed to say this, but most say Bama. This is the first year that I have some Ole Miss and State fans, imagine that. One of them picked the Redskins LOL.:ermm:

VN Store

Back