If we win, how?

turnuptheVOLtage

I'm not going to subject myself to trolling on here by saying we win, but come Friday I start believing, no matter what.

So, to start things early, if we do win, how do you guys think we win? What one type of play has to happen during the game for us to snag a W in Oxford?

I'm thinking we need to see a pick-6 by Sutton.

Reactions: 3 people
I like the thought. I think it could be a simple as a crushing sack by AJ/Reeves-Maybin; put Bo on the ground for a few minutes. Our defense isn't scared, at all.

Reactions: 1 person
The turnover that results in a touchdown. Every loss this season we have turned the ball over in a critical time. Oklahoma was a pick six that was a 14 point swing. Georgia was a fumble resulting in a TD for them. Florida was a fumble that resulted in a TD for them.

Keep it close and limit mistakes.

Reactions: 7 people
I'm not going to subject myself to trolling on here by saying we win, but come Friday I start believing, no matter what.

So, to start things early, if we do win, how do you guys think we win? What one type of play has to happen during the game for us to snag a W in Oxford?

I'm thinking we need to see a pick-6 by Sutton.

Defense has to keep us in it. A defensive TD or 2 could actually win us the game. To win this game it will need to be low-scoring. Like a 14-10 final score.

Also, Bajakian is going to have to learn how to call plays that play to this team's strengths, as opposed to calling plays and pretending our O-line isn't awful.

Reactions: 2 people
An effective Offensive guard. Worley is getting hit too much. They have to create better pockets for Hurd or he's gonna get crushed by Ole Miss defense. Croom needs to wear better gloves :p.

I think as a general strategy for Saturday, Butch needs to be extremely willing to roll the dice on 4th and 3+ early on. Aggressive coaching often strikes fear into the opponent/crowd...

Need to find a way to not have a disastrous TO. We have had it happen in all 3 losses, and ole miss is adept at forcing mistakes. If we can avoid that and play field position, we should be within a score in the 4th... then it's game on.

#1: no catastrophic plays (pick 6, fumble in end zone, red zone turnovers)
#2:improved O L play
#3: Worley to make smart decisions
#4: Y A C Will be hard to go down field, we need receivers to break some tackles.
#5 PRAY FOR BAD BO TO SHOW UP.

I really think we have a decent shot to shock the world. Ole Miss had to be looking a little past this game and our defense gets better each game. If the offense can at least not lose the game (Florida) I think it is possible.

Reactions: 3 people
I think as a general strategy for Saturday, Butch needs to be extremely willing to roll the dice on 4th and 3+ early on. Aggressive coaching often strikes fear into the opponent/crowd...

Kind of agree, I assume you mean given the right situation.

Settling for mid range field goals on 4th and 4 or less won't due. Need to make a few out of the box plays to win against better teams on the road. If we "steal" a TD on a drive with a couple 4th down conversions, maybe a fake punt, we send a message.

Defense plays like it always has. It wouldn't hurt for a pick 6, Bo likes to give teams those opportunities. We can't have any busted assignments in pass coverage. The same formation confused Bama for two tds and one more was set up by it. If they cover those right, Bama dominated the game defensively. I think we can hold them to 17 points. We can't have many tos and need to be patient and take the 4 n 5 yards to keep the chains moving. I actually do think our qbs need to run some to keep em honest on defense. We are gonna roll out on some passes so Worley can see the field better. They do let some wrs slip behind em on occasion. Te/slot needs to split the safeties for one score down the middle. I also hope we can run some with the wing/te leads. All of those things we worked on in the utc game. Somebody also needs to find the bought ref and kidnap him before the game.

On offense suprise them. I keep thinking about Crompton rolling out vs UGA in 09. We came out and suprised them with the gameplan and took it to them. We have recievers jus as good or better than 09. Since line still stinks, roll qb out of pocket every pass play. No turnovers or penalties @ crucial times especially.

On defense, go after bo, hit him and hit him again. Need good secondary coverage again. Swarm and tackle.

On sp teams, cover and tackle. No turnovers on returns and GIVE them good field position. Get good returns when have chance.

On officiating, not that they cost us games due to UT beating themselves, but we neeeeeeed calls called correctly in our favor. Due to greed and power, would the SEC want ole miss to stay undefeated? Don't expect any help from the refs

Need a defensive touchdown. I'm not impressed with Wallace. Statistically Tennessee will be the best defense he has played all year. We pull it out in a low scoring squeaker

Reactions: 2 people
This would be a great game to go back to the long forgotten play calling of the Georgia game last year. The fourth down option and swing route to the tight end had me excited about the future of our offense. It will take deception like that to score against a dominating defenseless

Last edited:
We will need a couple of defensive scores were Ole Miss is in scoring position where "those plays would be considered 10-14 point swings. Play bend but don't break defense and and limit any offensive TO's. Make OM drive the field. Special teams will need to be well, special.

The turnover that results in a touchdown. Every loss this season we have turned the ball over in a critical time. Oklahoma was a pick six that was a 14 point swing. Georgia was a fumble resulting in a TD for them. Florida was a fumble that resulted in a TD for them.

Sticky that ^ post somewhere it's the most accurate. I'll add that we have to do more than just limit mistakes to beat the next 2 teams on our schedule we have to eliminate them entirely. Going 3 and out is not the issue or wasn't we simply just have to protect the football.

Turn Nkemdiche loose in the lettuce patch before the game and then have our tackles throw twinkies towards the sideline on each snap.

Have Berry return for us and give us a short field, rather than starting on the 30 yard line each time and having to go 70 yards.

Berry might give us a shorter field. Maybe mid field and we can at least move the ball enough to get field goals.

VN Store

Back