Jones compares UT rebuilding job to Ole Miss

CountVolcula

Eternal Vol
Even though some of you said its nothing like Ole Miss, our Head coach said it himself

So, if indeed it is like the Ole Miss rebuilding job, should we not be expecting the same results as Ole Miss?

7-6 first year, bowl game

8-4 second year, bowl game

6-0 third year, #3 ranking and front runner for SEC West title

I know that some of you will come in here and say that Ole Miss had different opponents. I agree they did, but they also play in the SEC West. The toughest division in CFB

You will also come in here and say that Ole Miss had more talent. No they didn't. There talent was on par or right below UT's. Dooley smashed this Ole Miss team the last time we played in Knoxville.

Some of you will point to Freeze's 2nd recruiting class as a reason for his success. This would be true. However, that class wasn't present the first season he went 7-6. Those were mostly Houston Nutt classes that were ranked in the 20's. The second year, Freeze's class were Freshmen and went 8-4. This seems to be the excuse our fans use for the reason we are not performing. This year, Freeze's talent is sophomores and have this team ranked #3

So. I say its similar to Ole Miss' rebuilding, but not exactly the same. Due mostly to the fact the results are nothing even similar to the same

Reactions: 10 people
Count, since I'm too lazy to look it up, what are the schedule comparisons in those first 2 years of Freeze vs. Butch's first 2 years?

Where did he say they were the same?

Jones said he believes Tennessee’s young roster is different from the Rebels’ last season, despite both teams relying on true freshmen from a top-5 recruiting class.

“I think every situation you inherit is different in and of itself,” Jones said

Reactions: 37 people
Did you read the article? It looks like Butch was asked to compare the two programs and his answer was classic coach speak.

“I think every situation you inherit is different in and of itself,” Jones said. “A lot of it is, where was the program when you took over? What was there? Right, wrong or indifferent, I am not saying bad, good or indifferent I am just saying each program you take over and this is our third time taking over a program and each one is different. Each program you take over throughout the course of the country is different.

I understand you are a vocal critic of Butch, but please make fair arguments without twisting and skewing source material.

Reactions: 38 people
Even though some of you said its nothing like Ole Miss, our Head coach said it himself

So, if indeed it is like the Ole Miss rebuilding job, should we not be expecting the same results as Ole Miss?

I know that some of you will come in here and say that Ole Miss had different opponents. I agree they did, but they also play in the SEC West. The toughest division in CFB

You will also come in here and say that Ole Miss had more talent. No they didn't. There talent was on par or right below UT's. Dooley smashed this Ole Miss team the last time we played in Knoxville.

Some of you will point to Freeze's 2nd recruiting class as a reason for his success. This would be true. However, that class wasn't present the first season he went 7-6. Those were mostly Houston Nutt classes that were ranked in the 20's. The second year, Freeze's class were Freshmen and went 8-4. This seems to be the excuse our fans use for the reason we are not performing. This year, Freeze's talent is sophomores and have this team ranked #3

So. I say its similar to Ole Miss' rebuilding, but not exactly the same. Due mostly to the fact the results are nothing even similar to the same

I think it is different in that OM while overall might not have been as talented as UT, UT was , issing key components in one area. Last year it was skill position players and defense. This year it's painfully obvious that we're missing the whole o line.

Also, while it's true that they play in the more difficult west, their out of conference schedule did not come close to ours. And, if you replace Oregon with another patsy, suddenly we're bowl eligible too. JMO

Reactions: 4 people
Also, since you're comparing recruiting class rankings, does that include all the attrition we had between all the coaching changes. Did Ole Miss go through the same type of attrition?

Reactions: 9 people
This UT team is actually quite good in every aspect IMO except for offensive line.

The problem is that the line is actually a catastrophic problem we can't seem to overcome despite the overall quality of the rest of the team.

Get that fixed and I don't know why we can't see momentous improvement next year. (assuming we don't develop another catastrophic problem, such as QB)

Reactions: 7 people
2nd Year Ole Miss:

Won by 4 against eventual 9-4 Vandy

Lost by 25 to eventual 11-2 Alabama

Lost by 8 to eventual 11-2 Auburn

Lost by 3 to eventual 9-4 TAMU

Won by 3 against eventual 10-3 LSU

Lost by 14 to eventual 12-2 Mizzou

Lost by 7 in OT to 7-6 Miss State

Went to a bowl game, won.

The only game they lost that they should have won was Miss State. They lost close games to everyone that was significantly better than them except for Bama.

If the 2014 Vols go out and beat a USC or Mizzou and then beat Kentucky/Vandy and we don't get blown out by Bama or Ole Miss... then Jones can compare the 2 programs.

And I'll be honest, if we simply compete and prove we're worth being in the same conference as OM and Bama, I'll be satiated. Nobody is expecting miracles this year, just improvement.

Reactions: 9 people
If you watched the actual press conference instead of just reading a poorly written summary from SDS you would've heard that Jones never actually said they were the same. Some reporter asked the question if you could compare the two and Butch went on to distance any comparisons. Saying every situation is different etc... Never once did he say the rebuild was look the one at Ole Miss.

Reactions: 7 people
I think it's fair to say that everyone expects progress next season or we should all be worried. Some are a little quicker to hit the panic button than others.

I think the staff definitely has recruited and developed several players well. Defense has been great, special teams great, tight ends great, heck even the QB IMO has been better than most thought he would be. WR and Oline are a little worrisome to me as far as development. Oline has a void of talent and depth. WRs have underachieved IMHO given that groups talent.

Reactions: 3 people
Count, since I'm too lazy to look it up, what are the schedule comparisons in those first 2 years of Freeze vs. Butch's first 2 years?

Once Muschamp is fired at the season's end, I now think that Dan Mullen will get that job at Florida. Had not thought of him as being a candidate before but I think he will get the job, once it is opened.

In listening to his presser yesterday, I honestly thought he was trying to go out of his way to not compare the 2. He kept saying that each individual situation, programs are different, have different challenges. When I heard him, I came away thinking he was trying to essentially say "you can't compare our teams, our rebuild is/was different than their rebuild".

Reactions: 1 person
I said if he compares this to the Ole Miss situation

Shouldn't WE be expecting the SAME results?

Only if you're totally moronic and unable to distinguish that the two situations maybe comparable but that doesn't mean they are the same.

We don't have an Oline. It wasn't something that could be repaired in a single recruiting cycle either.

Reactions: 8 people
2nd Year Ole Miss:

Won by 4 against eventual 9-4 Vandy

Lost by 25 to eventual 11-2 Alabama

Lost by 8 to eventual 11-2 Auburn

Lost by 3 to eventual 9-4 TAMU

Won by 3 against eventual 10-3 LSU

Lost by 14 to eventual 12-2 Mizzou

Lost by 7 in OT to 7-6 Miss State

Went to a bowl game, won.

The only game they lost that they should have won was Miss State. They lost close games to everyone that was significantly better than them except for Bama.

If the 2014 Vols go out and beat a USC or Mizzou and then beat Kentucky/Vandy and we don't get blown out by Bama or Ole Miss... then Jones can compare the 2 programs.

And I'll be honest, if we simply compete and prove we're worth being in the same conference as OM and Bama, I'll be satiated. Nobody is expecting miracles this year, just improvement.

Improvements in recruiting and on defense are light days ahead of what I expected

The offense has regressed, partly to do with a young offensive line. But that's not all of it, People are too quick to chalk it up to youth and inexperience as the total reason.

In the end, its not going to matter if the wins don't improve

Reactions: 2 people
Why should I expect the same results from two different subject matters going against completely different variables?

Your trolling is weakening.

Reactions: 11 people

If you were, in fact, looking for anything and everything negative to say about this program.....What would you be doing differently Count??? :no::no::no:

Are you secretly John Adams??

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Classic count, trying to skew the facts to make a point. I listened to the entire interview and at no point did he compare the two. The reporter was trying to bait him by asking his question, but Butch steered away from it

The comparison is fair whether Jones said it or not. Both programs had major problems when the new coach arrived. Ole Miss was probably even worse having posted only 2 and 4 wins in the previous two seasons. Nutt left NCAA questions swirling... as he always does.

Someone asked for Ole Miss' schedule for Freeze's first two years:

2013-

8/29 @ *Vanderbilt (9-4) W 39 35
9/7 vs. Southeast Missouri State (non-IA) W 31 13
9/14 @ Texas (8-5) W 44 23
9/28 @ *Alabama (11-2) L 0 25
10/5 @ *Auburn (12-2) L 22 30
10/12 vs. *Texas A&M (9-4) L 38 41
10/19 vs. *Louisiana State (10-3) W 27 24
10/26 vs. Idaho (1-11) W 59 14
11/9 vs. *Arkansas (3-9) W 34 24
11/16 vs. Troy (6-6) W 51 21
11/23 vs. *Missouri (12-2) L 10 24
11/28 @ *Mississippi State (7-6) L 10 17
12/30 vs. Georgia Tech (7-6) W 25 17 @ Nashville, TN Music City Bowl
8-5-0

2012-

9/1 vs. Central Arkansas (non-IA) W 49 27
9/8 vs. Texas-El Paso (3-9) W 28 10
9/15 vs. Texas (9-4) L 31 66
9/22 vs. Tulane (2-10) W 39 0
9/29 @ *Alabama (13-1) L 14 33
10/6 vs. *Texas A&M (11-2) L 27 30
10/13 vs. *Auburn (3-9) W 41 20
10/27 vs. *Arkansas (4-8) W 30 27 @ Little Rock, AR
11/3 @ *Georgia (12-2) L 10 37
11/10 vs. *Vanderbilt (9-4) L 26 27
11/17 @ *Louisiana State (10-3) L 35 41
11/24 vs. *Mississippi State (8-5) W 41 24
1/5 vs. Pittsburgh (6-7) W 38 17 @ Birmingham, AL BBVA Compass Bowl
7-6-0

At worst, Freeze faced comparably difficult schedules in his first two years.

Every situation is different... but these two are about as similar as you are going to find. Maybe Jones will get better deeper into his tenure... but Freeze has earned more success, sooner.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back