Different Way of Watching the Games (long)

NEO

Eat at Joe's
Maybe it's me getting old.

Maybe it's the last decade of watching us get our teeth kicked in.

Or maybe it's the fact a lot of people laugh and make fun of our team anymore and roll their eyes when we say we are coming back and getting better.

But my nerves honestly cant take watching some of these games live anymore.

I love my team.

I will always love my team.

But the last few games my heart has actually started to hurt and I think the stress is getting to me...yeah it's just a game...but the Vols mean a lot to me and have been a part of my life for over 3 decades.

Which brings me to my point...

Couple weeks ago a step in preacher who is a Kentucky fan says he records all of the games. Learns what the score is. And then watches the games.

At the time, I thought it was the dumbest thing I had ever heard. It is completely backwards. Almost takes the fun out of the games.

But...I did this for the last game. The UTC game.

I went out for the Saturday, took my family to Holidayworld, checked into Volnation about every hour to see the meltdowns and catch the score and then when I came home (after already knowing the score) I watched the game in peace.

It was fun. There was no suspense. No stress levels going through the roof. Just a game on tv that I already knew the outcome of.

My point to all of this is I am going to start watching a few of the games like this and get a feel for if I like it better.

But does anyone else already do this? Or have you ever considered it?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

Or maybe it's the fact a lot of people laugh and make fun of our team anymore and roll their eyes when we say we are coming back and getting better.

I love my team.

But the last few games my heart has actually started to hurt and I think the stress is getting to me...yeah it's just a game...but the Vols mean a lot to me and have been a part of my life for over 3 decades.

Couple weeks ago a step in preacher who is a Kentucky fan says he records all of the games. Learns what the score is. And then watches the games.

At the time, I thought it was the dumbest thing I had ever heard. It is completely backwards. Almost takes the fun out of the games.

I went out for the Saturday, took my family to Holidayworld, checked into Volnation about every hour to see the meltdowns and catch the score and then when I came home (after already knowing the score) I watched the game in peace.

It was fun. There was no suspense. No stress levels going through the roof. Just a game on tv that I already knew the outcome of.

My point to all of this is I am going to start watching a few of the games like this and get a feel for if I like it better.

My wife is a Chicago Bears fan, and we recorded the Green Bay game a couple of weekends ago. While we were out I went to Costco and saw the score on their DirecTV kiosk.. ruined it for me.

I love my team.

I enjoy games live and honestly never thought about this before. It would be hard for me to NOT watch the vols when they are playing live tbh. I do go back and watch most games to see the play with a calmer and more settled mind and opinion. I think it is helpful to watch the game back but I do love to watch the vols live win or lose.

I like watching the games there too but the Florida game shaved some life off of me. I don't know how much but it did.

It's completely backwards. I get that.

I hate knowing other people know something and are seeing something that I could be seeing and want to be seeing but I'm not seeing it haha

I can not stand to watch a recorded game even if I don't know the score. Just knowing it isn't live ruins it for me.

I want to go back and watch later in order to edit, delete, or modify the plays that I don't like.

I like watching the games there too but the Florida game shaved some life off of me. I don't know how much but it did.

I felt like I knew the outcome to that at halftime. I feel like the announcers knew. The crowd knew. Almost made it more agonizing though , lol.

Honestly it sounds horrible to me. I've heard of people doing it though.

I can't watch games that have already been played or that I know the score to. I have watched the play-by-plays that Freak posts, but knowing the score ruins the excitement I get.

I love my team.

This would never work for me.
My dog has come to expect a thorough kicking on Saturdays.
I don't want him feeling neglected.

Keep doing what you're doing. Good god, it sounds like, for now at least, you're finding a bit more peace of mind watching with the delay and taking the stress factor out of it. It also sounds like maybe that's what you need to be doing. Hey, maybe it's not the anxiety of the football games that's at the root of the stress. Or maybe it is. But if it makes your life a little more livable to watch a recording of the games then so be it. Go be with your family. Then sit down and enjoy some Vols football. Or don't. Priorities, man. You know where they need to be. It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about it.

I watch recorded games several times a year:
1985 Sugar Bowl vs Miami
1998 fiesta bowl vs florida state
Miracle at South bend and a few others that are about worn out. Time for some new big time wins to enjoy (I'll take both of the next 2 games for stsrters)

I do this but only on the early games and I don't know the score. DVR the game, wake up, leave my phone off and start watching. Imo it's pointless watching a game if you already know the outcome. The plus side is that you turn a 3.5 hour game into like an hour and a half sparing commercials and halftime.

I'd definitely do this until the Vandy game if I were you since you have such an issue with it because our Oline isn't getting any better.

I feel ya. It is starting to become hazardous to my health also. My heart and liver has taken a beating these last six years.

The reality for me is that often times I have to leave in the middle of the game to take the kids to some birthday party or dance recital or whatever. So I hit record and go. If I can manage not to hear anything about it before I get home, I can come home and start it up and pretend it's live. If I do know the outcome, I usually skim through to watch the big plays if we've won, but if it was a loss, I don't bother torturing myself. I just pour myself a glass of mitigation and start preparing myself for whatever damn surprise my freakin Dolphins have in store the next day.

I watched the UGA game this way and enjoyed it but perhaps that's b/c even though it was a loss I thought the team played well. I think it works for games I don't expect a win...keeps frustration low.

I love my team.
'

Don't get too excited until you have done this with a loss, it is totally different than a win.

I read about a study that found people who knew the ending of a book enjoyed reading the book more than the people who did not know the ending.

The people who did not know the ending tended to rush through and focus on the outcome. The people who already knew the ending concentrated more on the writing and story, and enjoyed the book in its entirety.

The same principle could be true for a recorded football game.

I've been guilty of changing the channel if its a crucial play during a close game. I'm a wimp like that sometimes.

Never took it that far but I did stay roughly 30 minutes behind on FL.
I was so anxious that the commercials were driving me insane.
After each series, I would pause, do something with my son, then ff commercials and watch another series till those results were complete. Oddly, it helped.

I can understand how already knowing the outcome eases the tension but I don't want to be the person that had a chance to see something great happen live but chose not to.

Its more depressing knowing they lost again. I keep hoping that magically something changes the outcome lol.
But either way I know UT is losing this weekend but OI can't wait. I love when ita football time and I know there's always a chance... especially with Butch.

VN Store

Back